xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

Exhaust Installation (DC Sports)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 02:09 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Exhaust Installation (DC Sports)

Easy, easy, easy. This must have taken about ten minutes using hand-tools, a jack and a concrete driveway. The end result looked great and sounded deeper with a little bit of popping when the engine reved back down (racecar-like good).

1. Tools Required:
- Floor Jack and jackstands
- 12mm wrench or socket wrench
- Long screwdriver (for prying)
- WD40
- DC Sport Instructions (downloadable)

2. Exhaust System
As you can see the piping is routed considerably differently than the OEM exhaust.

3. Jack up the car
Make sure that you are not working under a car that is sitting solely on the jack. I have seen jacks fail! I placed two stands under the car where the arrows indicate.

4. Look at the stock system
The stock exhaust is hung from the chassis with two rubber hangers and attached to the mid-pipe with a clamp.

5. Remove the clamp
Oops, in this photo you can see that I have a wrench on the front and back of the clamp to remove the 12mm bolt. Well, the back is attached to the clamp so you only need the front wrench to remove the bolt.

6. Lube the hangers
To get the rubber hangers off you need to first spray them with WD40. This will help them slide off. Spray the lower area as we will be leaving the hangers on the car.

7. Remove the hangers and ditch the exhaust
Pry the hangers off with a long screwdriver. This is a little tricky, but they will come off.

9. Hang the new exhaust from the hangers
We first hooked the rear-most hanger, then the one near the clamp. This seemed to be the easiest way.

8. Re-install the clamp
Here is a close-up of the clamp with the new exhaust installed. There is a slight gap, but when you tighten the clamp on the gap will reduce until it is really tight.

9. Check out the new exhaust
Make sure that there is no rubbing anywhere. Our exhaust fit perfectly and gave the back of the car that JDM look with the slightly angled canister and flush tip.

Old 08-04-2004, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member

Default Exhaust Install option #2...

Another (safer) way to get the box up would have been to use ramps. I have some plastic ones from Checker Auto that will hold up to 3k lbs. You could still use a jack (i recommend 3 1/2 ton) to lift up a side if needed. The ramps are low enough for most cars (even some lowered ones).

signed, ALL KNOWING
Old 08-17-2004, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Using ramps would be a prefered method since the xB has virtually no solid alternate jacking points to allow a confident positioning of jack stands. (the car looked like it wanted to move using the positions indicated above but was solid when I nudged it)
Old 09-02-2004, 07:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default about the exhaust tip

hey on the stock exhaust tip..how do u take it off..i bought a new exhaust tip wonderin if i can chagne it or not..tanks!
Old 09-02-2004, 09:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Re: about the exhaust tip

Originally Posted by ljljaylj
hey on the stock exhaust tip..how do u take it off..i bought a new exhaust tip wonderin if i can chagne it or not..tanks!
I believe there is a screw...but even with the screw off, it's still a summa_____ to take off. I heard it takes the elbow grease of 1000 men to take it off. Good luck taking it off and I hope you don't cut yourself or something...
Old 09-02-2004, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default removing the exhaust tip

Before I had sprung for the GReddy, I had put a tip on my OEM exhaust. There are 3 tabs pressed down on the original pipe. Just pry them up with a screw driver and grab the tip with a pair of vise grips to wiggle and pull it straight back. This is not a reversible process because the original tip will bend up real easily. After you remove it the [small] pipe is ready to take the new tip. If you bought a generic one from Wal-Mart like I did, you will need to use the extra long clips to clap it on. It looks nice but you are really going to miss out on the nice sound.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default asdf

i had to cut the muffler off the piping on the dc sport exhaust... it sat like a dragger set-up all angled and under hard accel.. it moved a lil bit and burn the side of my lava.... so now i cut and welded new bends and it sits up nice and tight... i actually am looking to get rid of that... any offers send to petepicc11@aol.com . .. . . .. scionlife, ull get ur cut too if thats what ull tell me....
Old 10-18-2004, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

what does the exhaust sound like does it sound like a honda or does it sound good?
Old 10-20-2004, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

wat kind of exhaust was used for the instalation???
Old 10-20-2004, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05 blue onyx
what does the exhaust sound like does it sound like a honda or does it sound good?
I'm not sure what that one sounds like but my Greddy EVO sounds better and better each day...getting deeper and deeper.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

instead of using WD40, which causes the rubber hangers to deteriorate faster, use a silicone lubricant.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member

Is this the Axle-Back or the Cat-Back? On Instant Messenger w/vividracing, I was told that (SCS6401) is a cat-back system while our Parts section on the forum says (SCS6401) is an axle-back system. I'm confused. Can anyone claify? Thanks!
Old 11-19-2004, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Technically, the joint is just in front to the axle but the Cat is on the single 4.5' pipe from the axle to the header...not really sure how to catagorize it
Old 11-22-2004, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just got my blitz! cant wait to throw it on!!
Old 12-07-2004, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Broke the ceramic gasket

I somehow broke the ceramic gasket when I put on my muffler. I was real careful too. Do I need this gasket? The muffler fits real snug, there is no exhaust leaking out, and everything sounds real good. Does this part do anything else besides make a tight seal?
Old 12-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Broke the ceramic gasket

Originally Posted by jarocho
I somehow broke the ceramic gasket when I put on my muffler. I was real careful too. Do I need this gasket? The muffler fits real snug, there is no exhaust leaking out, and everything sounds real good. Does this part do anything else besides make a tight seal?
Yes, replace the the ceramic exhaust gasket. Not only does it make for a good solid fit and no leaks, BUT it will also prevent your muffler from moving around and melting your bumper!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Broke the ceramic gasket

Originally Posted by squirrel
Originally Posted by jarocho
Yes, replace the the ceramic exhaust gasket. Not only does it make for a good solid fit and no leaks, BUT it will also prevent your muffler from moving around and melting your bumper!
Thanks, just ordered the part.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

You're welcome.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whoos i lost that gasket a LONG time ago when i was messin around without a muffler.

how much to replace one?
Old 12-11-2004, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Replace gasket

Originally Posted by firesquare
whoos i lost that gasket a LONG time ago when i was messin around without a muffler.

how much to replace one?
It cost me $13 bucks at the dealer.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Installation (DC Sports)