Notices

Double Check My Rims and Tires Order!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Default Double Check My Rims and Tires Order!

I need new tires so I'm going to get new rims and then sell my stock rims and tires to help finance these. Do you all think I can get $100-125 per rim w/ the tire?

Regardless, this is what I've decided to get:
Momo V-10 18x7.5
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 225/40ZR18

Total will be about $600 for rims and $500 for tires so $1100 for it all after tax, shipping, mounting kits, stems, install and balance. Is there anything else I need?

What offset would I need for it to be flush given my rims and tires selection? I'm guessing I'll need spacers? I have no drop or anything. The New Wheel Fitment thread doesn't help me as I wanted to have the wider 225mm tires.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

berserk..iono you will probably need 25mm spacers for flushness.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This can help you determine offset. http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
Old 03-04-2010, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^that is a good calculator to mess with, and can give you a nice idea if you have two sets to compare.

This is for OP, but also for everyone that is contemplating about a similar setup. This is my real world experience.

I have 18x7.5

with +23 all around you will be just barely flush (more so on the front than the rear of course) <= this is my setup

with +18 all around you should be flush all around (again the front will poke out more than the rear)

anything lower than that on a 7.5 and you will be in hellaflush/poke city

Although I do have some small negative (unknown) camber in the rear so my results may be skewed a tiny bit (but not by much)

Now this is extra information for those that are interested.
Rubbing issues is a whole other problem with many many variables that need to be considered.

Springs don't settle all the same (so heights vary even if you have the same model)
You also have to consider if you have extra weight in your car i.e. subwoofer or even if you did any major weight reduction.
The usual spring/shock combo usually won't have the same stiffness and tight rebound as coilovers have (bouncy long rebounds) (coilovers of course have the added benefit of height adjust-ability)
Also one must consider how much camber you are willing to run, and fender rolling/cutting/pulling (mostly reserved for dumpt/slammed folks)
tire width is another consideration but one thing I see people leave out is that some tires have different sidewalls. Some are curved/straight/soft/hard.

I had 225/40 kumho ecsta ast and I had rubbing issues on street driving over dips and bumps, but when I switched to (same width) 225/40 falken ziex ze329 the rubbing during street driving was virtually eliminated. I noticed the sidewalls are slopped on the ziex rather than straight on the ast. (My fenders are stock unmodified and lowered 1/2 finger gap all around, subwoofer in the back and on coilovers on full stiff all around)

I should probably add that sidewall consideration is mostly for people that don't feel like messing with their fenders and without resorting to stretching small width tires. (I was going to roll my fenders when I had my ast. When it came time to replace my balding tires I randomly purchased some ziex and glad I did. Saved me some money from having to do fender roll/cutting. Sure you can DIY, but remember there are risks involved)

When I was at +48 on trd/shock/stuts I was rubbing in the rear on dips and bumps. (again subwoofer in the back) You'd think with that setup you'd have nothing to worry about.

But to be clear these were all minor rubbing that were still streetable.

There are people that don't care if their sidewalls are stripped and their fenders mutilated and burnt. It's all up to you how far you want to go, what you are comfortable with and what you want out of it.

As you can see there are many variables to consider, and why sometimes some setups you see and hear don't make sense.
I tried to be as detailed as I could, but I may have left some things out. But that's pretty much the gist of it.

I hope this shed some light on the whole fitment mystery.

Last edited by ScionTEK; 03-04-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Hmmm...these just came out.

The XXR 522 18x8.5 offset 30. Will those paired with the Hankooks work?

Thanks for the replies. @ScionTEK, that was a good read.

Any comments about the retailer discounttires.com? I don't think it's the same as Discount Tire.