Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Road Magnet springs xA xB

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member

Default Road Magnet springs xA xB

Anyone here with Road Magnet springs for the xA/xB? I'm considering pairing them up with Koni yellows, but I'm also eyeballing H&R Race springs.

H&R Race will yield a 2.0" drop front and 1.8" drop rear, while the Road Magnets will yield 1.5" all around. From what I've gathered (and there's very little on the Road Magnets), both springs are race/track-inspired with comparatively higher rates.

Of concern is the Koni yellow's ability to handle the 2" front / 1.8" rear drops of the H&R Race. Koni states that anything more than 35mm (1.4") is not recommended for the yellows. But with higher dampening and a stiffer spring, I wonder if shock bottoming would be a legitimate issue with a 51mm drop. I'm sure the Konis could handle the 38mm drop of the Road Magnets, but I know next to nothing about them.

Also of concern is the dramatic effect on the rest of the suspension/chassis geometry when dropped in excess of 1.5 inches. Is the 2" drop more show than go? I wonder. . .
Old 01-25-2014, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member

Default Road Magnet spring details from Road Magnet rep

The following is an e-mail response to questions I had regarding the Road Magnet springs for the first gen Scion xA/xB:

We apologize for the delayed response, as we had some inclement weather here in Baltimore this week! Thank you for your interest in Road Magnet, and for your detailed inquiry into our Scion xA Lowering Springs!

Road Magnet Scion xA Lowering Springs are hand coiled precision springs. They are cold wound and researched, designed, and manufactured in conjunction with our parent company, The Kirk-Habicht Company, who has been manufacturing precision springs for military, commercial and aerospace applications for over 100 years! All of our springs are manufactured under our roof (from coil to powdercoat) in Baltimore, Maryland using all American steel whenever possible.

The spring rates are progressive to provide a stock like ride quality while lowering the vehicle to achieve increased performance and handling. Our springs rates and design processes are determined by proprietary research and testing procedures. We do spend an entire calendar week testing each set of springs on a vehicle in almost every real-world application available to ensure the best ride possible coupled with maximum performance and a safe, appealing drop . The spring rates of the xA springs average (because of the progression) 175 lb/in front and 220 lb/in rear.

All Road Magnet springs are designed to be compatible with stock struts and shocks. However, for those looking for the most out of their suspension, we recommend upgrading to a strut with a higher damping rate than stock. Some brand that we have found to pair well with our springs are Koni, Tokico, and KYB.

Thank you again for your interest, and do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions!