Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looking at Jeff's picture of the Progress sway bar (in another thread).... here is a crop of that picture

and the reason for bringing this up here is to show that spring rates between rear coilovers V. plain springs are not directly comparable because.... the coilover type of spring has greater mechanical advantage than the stock type of spring.

what would this factor be? I'd need to measure.. but am not equipped to do that.

point: if stock xB/xA rear spring rate is x kg.per mm. .... and a coilover system were to have even that same rate, in effect that coilover is a considerably stronger spring. Yes? I think so. And, too, even if it were a so-called linear spring, in practice it will not have the linearity of a similar stock spring because it is being compressed -more- than does a stock spring. And so, it's rate effectively increases with compression because no spring, after all, is truly linear in regards to strain-per-mm.

just thinking.. correct me if I'm off base
, thanks
Old 08-23-2005, 11:12 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I'm sure somewhere this makes sense, justnot in my mind at 6AM
Old 08-30-2005, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Forgive my automotive ignorance, but I read in another post that a lower spring rate meant a smoother ride. So would I be correct in saying that buying the Tein S-Techs wouldn't help smoothen out my ride? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Sprint Performance Springs that you do not have that much information on.....
They suck....don't buy them. I paid $276 for mine and it's not a comfortable ride...
Old 11-01-2005, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
Originally Posted by Grime
Originally Posted by Chimmy3
is it only you or are they all like that? I just went by the color on the website (which are white... )
anyone?? I know there's tons of you on this forum... at least 68 lol
There are two different Tanabes, I believe the NF210s are white and the DF2102 are pink/purple...

ptuning.com now also offers Tanabe's GF210, which I think is new...
actually gf springs have been out for awhile , the sportiest of the three. and old df210's where the purpleish lilac color , the newer df210's are white.
Agreed. I just installed some Tanabe DF210 springs (ordered from Havok) and they are white. I can tell you that the springs I put on are definatly the DF (dress form) series and not the NF210 since I got at least a 2 inch drop.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to ask:

I installed the :Megan Racing which drop the Fr 2.0" the Rear 1.75" But what does these spring/rate mean Front = 280 Rear= 230 for a xB over the stock springs.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member

Default Info from Tanabe on GF210 springs

This is an excerpt of an email reply from Tanabe-usa.

"We do not offer GF210 for the Scion xB, that online vendor may have bad data. We only offer NF210 and DF210 for the Scion xB. The amount the vehicle is lowered is dependent on the way the vehicle’s weight distribution is set up from the factory. The spring rates and lowering data on our springs is set so that the car has a more neutral balance, and also sits evenly for a more visually pleasing look.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us anytime!

Best Regards,

Tanabe Racing Development, USA

www.tanabe-usa.com
"
The website I found GF210's, as well as Tanabe's other springs and a bunch of other parts at some great prices. The site is www.suprastore.com. (I have no affiliation with them.)
Old 12-04-2005, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I am with tazman. Now I'm a 2 on a 1-5 scale for being mechanically inclined, but what does spring/rate mean

Originally Posted by tazman34685
I have to ask:

I installed the :Megan Racing which drop the Fr 2.0" the Rear 1.75" But what does these spring/rate mean Front = 280 Rear= 230 for a xB over the stock springs.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The spring rate tells you the amount of force a spring exerts when compressed.

without getting too technical, the higher the spring rate, the stiffer the spring. Generally the stiffer the spring, the better the handling (less body roll), but also the harsher the ride (will transmit more road vibrations).

However, the spring rate doesn't always give you the whole picture of how a spring will feel, but it should give you a rough idea.

the figures I've given are measured in lb/in. In metric countries (i.e. everywhere else but here) they use kg/mm. A spring rate of 280 lbs/in (or lbf/in) means that 280 lbs of force is exerted by the spring for every inch it is compressed. Usually springs are linear, which means the rate never changes.

However some springs are progressive or "variable rate" springs. The idea is that they start with a softer rate (thus.. they absorb road imperfections more easily) and become rapidly stiffer as they compress (to perhaps assist in cornering). However, well this might be fine in theory, it doesn't mean that it works quite that well in practice (the progressive vs linear is much like the CAI vs short ram debate). It is very difficult to know what kind of ride you will be getting from progressively rated springs. IMO, its pretty much a hit or miss. In theory, if well designed, you can get the best of both worlds (the exact combination of ride comfort and handling you desire), but you can also end up with something you hate.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Cool, thanks. Now I know a rough estimate on what I want to look for if I ever get a kitchen pass to buy springs, LOL
Old 12-28-2005, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Default Spring Rate

I just install my TRD springs on my Xb and I got a 1.5 drop and not 1inch. If you do the math actually it is more than one inch when you convert from (mm) to inches. FYI
Old 12-28-2005, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Spring Rate

Originally Posted by xbox360
I just install my TRD springs on my Xb and I got a 1.5 drop and not 1inch. If you do the math actually it is more than one inch when you convert from (mm) to inches. FYI
where did you get the numbers for the TRD springs? I had some difficulty finding the exact specs
Old 02-08-2006, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hello,
So is it safe to assume that the Megen springs with rates of ~280/~230...have the stiffest ride quality?

I have these installed on my xB and they do transmit alot of road noise and I do feel the roads imperfections alot more. I however did not know this when I bought them...I just thought I would try out a different company for a change.

I'm glad I did, I absolutely love the way the car acts now. The front has finally settled evenly...been about 2.5-3 weeks now.

Overall I am happy to hear that the springs have a higher spring rate, complete surprise to me, but a good one. Thanks for the info!

-Brian!
Old 07-07-2006, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any one rolling on the Tenzos? Any reviews? None showed in parts section, so thought I'd try this thread.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am about to get some Arospeed 17" Kino's for my xb. I was going to get Eibach Sportline's to drop it to inches but now i'm looking into getting the TRD springs and struts so that i don't void my warranty. How much fender to wheel gap will i have if i go with the 17's and the TRD springs and struts? I'm also going with I believe 215/45/R17 tires.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just installed the TRD springs and It looks considerably lower, they havent settled yet, so I would have to get back to ya later about how much fender to wheel gap there is. Basically your fender will be aprox. 1 1/4 inches closer to the ground. I have 15x6 wheels, getting the 17's soon..
Old 09-17-2006, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cheapest place to get tanabe's? the 2.2 drop ones
Old 09-22-2006, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a question, as I am confused on something. I am looking to drop my Xb, but I want a nice ride. I want the ride to be smooth, and not bounce up and down every time I hit a piece of sand on the road(like the rice rockets usually do).

So, that leaves the question of what should I get? I like how the Stechs drop the car approx 2 inches. Will this give me the ride I am looking for, or should I be looking at a different brand?
Old 10-22-2006, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what are good spring to have with fallen rims 18"
Old 10-24-2006, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats the closest to stock in terms of ride?

Quick Reply: Buyers Guide: Scion xA/xB Suspension