Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

2005 Scion tC new TSB - A/C not blowing cold air.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, it is simply true that 134 is not as effecent as 12. Your ac seems to be working good now though. And r-134a didn't really replace r-12, r-12 production and importation was banned in the U.S. since it was not good for the ozone.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well they looked at mine when i took it in..and said it's perfectly fine..they also did a temprature read and it said 39 degrees. And called it a day, said my A/C was fine. Fully charged.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I can tell It does seem cooler. Doesnt come close to the Element but owell

On a side note, I was in the waiting room for 3.5 hours and this lady with a tC had a A/C prob too. Hers was blowing so cold it would cause here CD's in the Radio to condensate on long periods of use. Now that is cold!

Next step is to tint the windows as im sure that will help alot.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My VIN is 20xxx so I'm above the TSB, but my car really doesn't get cold. The funny thing is up here in Seattle, it hasn't been that hot. My car is almost 100% garage parked and the temperature since I've had my car is very rarely above 80 outside. If the AC can't make me freezing cold on days like that, it seems like there is a problem. I'll get it checked next time I need an oil change. How long did everyone's appointments take? They say the TSB procedure should take 30 minutes, but how long did you all wait?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The wait time will depend more on the line in front of you. I waited 1.5 hours for one of my free oil changes last time...

From my experience with this type of thing, and them knowing how much needs to be added (if they simply do the tsb) it should take them about 15 minutes to do it (thats how long it has taken me to do the same thing on my other cars) , but you have to account for them getting it in the garage, doing it, testing it and then getting it ready to go. I would count on about 1.5 hours or so. But, I wouldnt want them to simply do the tsb. They will want to check for leaks and check the sytem as well. Places that simply add freon because a system does not cool are not only wasting money as well as breaking the law. If it is leaking it must be fixed before adding more gas to the system. Not that yours is, but a good shop will make sure before adding more gas.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:15 PM

i'm having this problem with my '06 tC also... gotta check the VIN at lunch...

Old 06-29-2005, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the RS1.0 of the tC and my vin was above that TSB as well. Still it was low a few 10ths of a pounds. not much but it did make a difference.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my vin # is 43xxx. i'm well above the target production change date which is 18xxx. on really hot days it has to be on full blast for it to get somewhat cold... should i bring it in?
Old 06-29-2005, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaewon223
my vin # is 43xxx. i'm well above the target production change date which is 18xxx. on really hot days it has to be on full blast for it to get somewhat cold... should i bring it in?
This should be a fairly simple/short one for the shop. Yeah, ask them if they will perform the TSB. If not, your tC is still under warranty and they should investigate/fix anyway.

Kevin
Old 06-29-2005, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I checked my FM yesterday.
The sticker under the hood shows a max charge of 1.01 lbs.
I did the recovery and actually got 1.12 lbs. out of it. So, I suppose it was OVERCHARGED.
I let the system vaccum for about 10 minutes then recharged it with 1lb even.

Results: I believe it to be slightly cooler. Not much, though.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

kevin is a very helpful scionlife member he just answered 2x of my questions..
Old 06-29-2005, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You run a garage or something? I didn't think AC vacuum recovery devices were the kind of thing every car owner had.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by iowagary
You run a garage or something? I didn't think AC vacuum recovery devices were the kind of thing every car owner had.
You're asking me, I suppose...

I'm an ASE certified Master Automotive Technician (almost 20 years experience). I work at a local privately owned Goodyear.
The shop supplies the equipment and they don't mind if I use it on my own vehicles. They would, however, charge me for anything I used...like refrigerant, oil, filters, other fluids, etc..
Old 06-29-2005, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice - I could really use a setup like that. I'm a non-certified no-nothing, but I can guarantee you it would be easier to do things to my car if I had a lift and a bunch of jacks, garage space, etc. Must be nice.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by iowagary
Must be nice.
I suppose it has it's perks...
It sux bad sometimes, too. Especially during the summer. Everyone wants everything...done yesterday....for NOTHING! It gets old...

The boss helps...He supplies LOTS of Gatoraide... (I think I have an ulcer.)
Old 06-29-2005, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

this is awesome, my a/c is cold but on full blast it takes forever for the car to actually get cool and for me to stop sweating. seems like the a/c is just really weak in my car. i can bring this in and also get the alignment fixed at the same time.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xlr8tC
i used to have a pontiac sunfire and in 120 degree heat in KS it pumped out ice cold air in about 2 minutes and had the cabin chilled in about 3. worked the same every time for 8 years. my tc doesn't get cold unless i have it recirculate the interior air. even on 80 degree days.
I had a Mazda Protege that was the same way. Never even had to recharge the AC in 10 years and still ice cold.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do keep in mind too brian, that when you put the fans at max speed, you are moving the air that goes over the (condensor?) faster, thus it won't be as a cold. Theoretically the coldest air comes out from the slowest fan speed, but you're not pushing as much cool air outwards.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by emiller
Originally Posted by xlr8tC
i used to have a pontiac sunfire and in 120 degree heat in KS it pumped out ice cold air in about 2 minutes and had the cabin chilled in about 3. worked the same every time for 8 years. my tc doesn't get cold unless i have it recirculate the interior air. even on 80 degree days.
I had a Mazda Protege that was the same way. Never even had to recharge the AC in 10 years and still ice cold.
What year protege? Goes back to the type of refrigerant..
Old 06-30-2005, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Rivulent
Do keep in mind too brian, that when you put the fans at max speed, you are moving the air that goes over the (condensor?) faster, thus it won't be as a cold. Theoretically the coldest air comes out from the slowest fan speed, but you're not pushing as much cool air outwards.
YES...you are absolutely correct! I find 4 bars (on recirc) gives me the best cooling on hot days. But, the slower the air moves over the fins, the more heat will be transfered out of it...

BTW, it's an evaporator.

Quick Reply: 2005 Scion tC new TSB - A/C not blowing cold air.