Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

What is the best setup for lowering my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What is the best setup for lowering my car?

Someone told me that springs are the way to go since they're cheaper, however another source told me that they end up being more than they're worth because they will wear your shocks. But then I hear people saying that they've been running their springs for tens of thousands of miles without any problems.

Other people tell me coilovers are much better, since they don't wear anything out...only thing is they cost a lot more. I was just curious so I know what to expect.

So my question is coilovers or lowering springs?
Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bravo. I'm thoroughly impressed. You received all of the correct information. Everything you said is spot on. So with all of that being said, it really is up to you and your wallet. So it looks like you have an xA. Those are old, so I would assume it has quite a few miles on it. If those struts of yours are original, I wouldn't put springs on them. They will blow out rather quickly. You could get some oem struts and lowering springs and be good to go. Otherwise, if you have the money, go coilover. But if you have good struts and lowering springs and don't drive like an a.ss, then they'll last forever.

Where you at in Plantation? I hang out there quite a lot.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sadly my car has about 186,000 and has its share of wear and tear, and money is hard to come by TTnTT Ideally I wouldn't lower my car unless I had the money for coilovers. And PM me
Old 11-26-2014, 09:39 PM

I have Tanabe springs on my xA. They feel great and lower the car like 2 inches. Not a burden on the wallet either!
Old 12-02-2014, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How old is your xA and how many miles do you have on it? @holdstumt
Old 12-02-2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Scionxa180
How old is your xA and how many miles do you have on it? @holdstumt
It's coming up on 11 years now. It's a 2004. How many miles total or how many miles with those springs?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would love to know both, also (if you can remember) at what mile mark did you install them? Just so I can get an idea of things. @holdstumt
Old 12-02-2014, 08:49 PM

I would love to know both, also (if you can remember) at what mile mark did you install them? Just so I can get an idea of things. @holdstumt
The car has 130k on it and I think I installed them around 85-90k
Old 12-03-2014, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

@holdstumt Thanks, I appreciate it. Well my car has 188,000 miles on it, do you think it would be better to get coilovers or springs'd still be alright? I found a set of 4 Tanabe's one pair for the rear and one for the front for $250-300 and I know coilovers are going to be well over double that.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, you should probably not do springs.

At that mileage, the springs would definitely kill your shocks/struts. Then you'll be back in the "I have to spend $$" boat. New shocks/struts coupled with the cost of the springs would put you near or over the cost of coilovers.

I'd save up and get coils. But that's me.

Last edited by Basebllstar; 12-03-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:23 PM

@holdstumt Thanks, I appreciate it. Well my car has 188,000 miles on it, do you think it would be better to get coilovers or springs'd still be alright? I found a set of 4 Tanabe's one pair for the rear and one for the front for $250-300 and I know coilovers are going to be well over double that.
As long as you don't currently have blown shocks you should be fine. The lowest Tanabes only drop about 2 inches so you aren't putting crazy stress on the shock.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by holdstumt
As long as you don't currently have blown shocks you should be fine. The lowest Tanabes only drop about 2 inches so you aren't putting crazy stress on the shock.
2" is quite a drop for struts that probably should have been replaced over 50k miles ago.

But by all means, OP, do it and let us know how it works out.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm definitely just gonna invest the extra money into getting coilovers. It's the smarter thing to do from all the information I've been reading. Besides, if not on one expensive part, it'd be a lot of cheap parts instead.

A friend of mine told me that because of my solid rear axle I won't really be able to do anything with the rear. I should be fine with a 2-3" drop as per the axle, no?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm definitely just gonna invest the extra money into getting coilovers. It's the smarter thing to do from all the information I've been reading. Besides, if not on one expensive part, it'd be a lot of cheap parts instead.

A friend of mine told me that because of my solid rear axle I won't really be able to do anything with the rear. I should be fine with a 2-3" drop as per the axle, no?
You'll save yourself money and headache in the future with this approach.

I don't know what your friend was talking about. The rear axle has a shock/spring combo instead of the integrated strut design. If you buy a coilover kit, you'll get shorter springs for the back as well as adjustable shocks. It'll be fully adjustable just like the front.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:58 PM

If you are going to go with coilovers I suggest staying away from the eBay stuff like Raceland. I've had friends snap the casings on those and total the car.. On the other hand I know that Tanabe still makes coils for our cars. Most other places have discontinued that stuff
Old 12-08-2014, 04:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by holdstumt
If you are going to go with coilovers I suggest staying away from the eBay stuff like Raceland. I've had friends snap the casings on those and total the car.. On the other hand I know that Tanabe still makes coils for our cars. Most other places have discontinued that stuff
I have the hardest time finding anything for my car let alone coilovers TTnTT Do you know what brands I should be looking at? Also what are some goods sites for us 1st geners?
Old 12-08-2014, 04:00 PM

Here's what Tanabe carries for the xA chassis/suspension:

Coilovers
Tanabe USA Inc. - Sustec Pro S-0C Coilover

Front & rear under brace and front strut bar
Tanabe USA Inc. - Sustec Under Brace
Tanabe USA Inc. - Sustec Tower Bar

Then Hotchkis makes sway bars for it
Hotchkis Sport Suspension

It's just about everything you would want to stiffen up the chassis and make it feel more sporty.