Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Speed Sensor Code - C0210

Old 01-28-2014, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member

Default Speed Sensor Code - C0210

I'll make this story quick and short...

Don't know how this happened, but around July of last year after I installed my aftermarket stereo system, my VSC Light came on. Took it back to the shop to see if they forgot to reconnect anything and everything they told me was good.

Couple weeks later I asked them to check again, and this time they brought out the computer to check the codes. C0210 - Right Rear Speed Sensor is what came up, and I'm still trying to figure out how this even happened. The box only has roughly 45,xxx. I have yet to take it to the stealership cause I've been finding that they will charge almost $1000.00 for EACH sensor. It's at the point now where the VSC light stays on all the time and randomly my ABS Light will come on, then go away...then come back on again.

I'm not that car-smart but I did install a couple things myself such as my intake. How hard is it to change our the sensor yourself? Is there a DIY or instructions how to do it step by step?

http://parts.westborotoyota.com/part...SPEED%20SENSOR

Is that even the correct part I need ^^^ I notice that the Front sensors indicate left and right but the rear sensor doesnt indicate left or right.

Would appreciate any help from anyone regarding this. Seems like its a common issue with the xb2's?

edit:

I have an 2012 XB
Old 04-18-2014, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member

bump.

still have this issue

tried cleaning the sensor when I posted this and added grease and left battery unhooked for 3 hours (was working around the house).

wont go away...
Old 04-19-2014, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, I don't have this issue (13K 2008 DE) and your stated LA location suggests I'm off track, but Speed sensor suggests to me a problem with the individual wheel brake speed sensor. This has been a problem for a number of owners in snowy environments (causing the sensor to misread), but my less severe DE solution was to open the rear speed sensor connection and fill it with PepBoys dielectric compound to prevent misreading.

This issue may be environment specific and if there's anything I can do to help, you surely have my assistance.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:50 AM
5 Year Member

Thank you Trevor I appreciate it.

However where I live it's very hot, especially this winter here in Los Angeles....there wasn't a winter. Not much rain either. Been Dry, windy and what not.

thats what i tried as well, the dielectric compound but had no success. cleaned it out completely with electronics cleaner too.

It's just a coincidence how this all started after the whole stereo/alarm install. but im starting to believe that i would have to replace the sensor. if that was the case would it be smart to replace the wiring too? is there a DIY guide with people who had this issue in a snowy enviroment?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member

Aftering reading up on some forums, I'm starting to believe that I need to replace the rear hub to resolve this issue. I can't seem to find a legit DIY on how replace the rear hub. Does anyone have a guide? Found the part online for cheap.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
Team Sushi
SL Member

disconnect ABS sensor, remove all brake assembly and then remove 4 bolts from hub assembly. New hub assembly will come with new bearings and new studs its all a 1 piece.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That happened to me. Back right at 30K. I took apart the connector, cleaned it and packed it with dielectric grease every year before winter. It kept working until ~85K. Then I had it replaced. The back left started acting up at 90K. The hub is too expensive a part to replace every time a sensor fails.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might want to take it to Jason at Nightwerks up here in Santa Clarita to be checked out. He has an independent shop and is a Toyota certified tech, specializes in Scions. He has owned both a 1st and 2nd gen and has a 1st gen that he chopped into a truck. His link is in my signature.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member

Thank you greg I will check him out. Santa Clarita ain't that far from where I'm at

So today I went ahead and replaced the rear hub assembly, and had the codes cleared, only to have the same lights come back on again driving around town

very frustrating!

went back to the shop and now I have a different code popping up...

this time it's C1245 - Deceleration Sensor.... where is that located and is this an easy thing to fix?
Old 06-24-2014, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member

I figured I update this in case anyone else had this problem.

So I knew that my issue HAD to do with the stereo installation of my car. Whoever mounted my two amps below the seat moved my yaw rate sensor and didn't mount it back...so it was loose. Took apart my center console, and mounted it below the cup holders. Did zero point calibration using a paper clip into obd connector and after a year of having these lights on, I finally was able to see them off. They have been completely off now for almost a whole month. VSC works perfectly again....I purposely made a very sharp turn to test and it flickered on.

Hope this helps anyone if they run into the same issue as me. Check the yaw rate sensor!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn, so once again we can't trust the supposed "expert" technicians at stereo install stores. Bottom line always seems to come down to not letting anyone else ever touch our cars. Thanks for sharing your discovery and I'm really sorry to learn how much pain you had to go through. I hope all is well for you now! Be well dude!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks Trevor, and thanks for everyone else for trying to help me out as well