Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: How much oil does your 2AZ-FE consume?
1 qt every 1000 miles
20.63%
1 qt every 2000 miles
14.29%
1 qt every 3000 miles
15.87%
1 qt every 4000 miles
1.59%
1 qt every 5000 miles
11.11%
Less than 1 qt every 5000 miles
36.51%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Oil consumption

Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Oil consumption

Recently there have been some reports of higher than expected oil consumption from a few members here. There is a TSB out covering certain Toyota models that use the 2AZ-FE engine and I believe there was talk to the effect that the TSB may be extended to cover certain Scion models as well. In order to qualify for the TSB you need to consume 1 qt of oil every 1200 miles. I'm curious to know what level of oil consumption SL members are experiencing. If your engine has more than 100,000 miles and you vote in the poll, please add a post giving your actual mileage. Please choose the answer closest to your average oil consumption between oil changes. Thanks for participating.

*Edit: If you submit a poll entry for unusually high consumption such as 1 qt every 3000 miles or less please post some details about your situation. E.g., miles, oil used, oil change interval, engine mods, etc.

Last edited by ScionFred; 01-06-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Zero comsumption after 53k miles. Ive even run up to 10,000 miles between an oil change. I guess I've been lucky.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

2010 5 speed w/~38k.....uses about 1/4-1/2 qt of 0W20 between 5k oil change intervals....has done this since I bought it brand new Feb. 2010.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just traded in my 2008 with +98k miles. It had Mobil 1 5W20 full synth oil changes every 5k miles (starting at 15k after the first 2 freebies) and the last couple of oil changes it had burned about 1/2 qt. by the looks of the dipstick.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, KoolBox has some serious issues with either his engine or posting in polls! If you're really using 1 qt every 1,000 miles you should get to your dealer ASAP for new pistons and rings.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question...would either a gutted or removed catalytic converter cause an XB to consume more oil?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

48k miles, going strong without sipping any oil.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

130 views and only 5 legitimate poll entries? All it takes is a click of your mouse people!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm at only 10Kmi and am planning to drag out my 5K synthetic 5W-20 change to 8Kmi. I see maybe 1/4 quart loss, but I'll wait a bit longer before making any statement. However, I seriously encourage everyone to respond and honestly to this poll. I believe it's intended to benefit us all from clearer understanding of what we are dealing with -- a real concern!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mauby
Question...would either a gutted or removed catalytic converter cause an XB to consume more oil?
I don't see how. Common things that contribute to increased oil consumption are a clogged PCV valve, a dirty air filter, over-filled crankcase and thin synthetic oil like the 0w20 that Scion recommends.

I have a theory about something that may be contributing to this relatively new problem from a very old and proven engine. I believe that for MY 2007 Toyota added oil squirters that squirt oil on the bottoms of the pistons for additional lubrication and cooling. Much of this extra oil likely ends up on the cylinder walls and if the oil rings are not working 100% this could easily lead to increased oil burning. I believe this might be even more so with synthetic oil since synthetics cling to metal better and whatever the rings don't remove from the cylinder walls will be burnt during the next combustion stroke.

The ultimate problem is still the oil rings not adequately scouring oil from the cylinder walls but I believe that the oil squirters may exacerbate the condition. Perhaps this is why only 2007 models and newer are covered by the TSB.

Anyway, if you're burning 1 qt every 3000 miles that's certainly not the norm. Can you post more details about your car? Engine mileage, oil used, filters, oil change interval, etc.? Last time PCV valve and air filters were changed? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Anyway, if you're burning 1 qt every 3000 miles that's certainly not the norm. Can you post more details about your car? Engine mileage, oil used, filters, oil change interval, etc.? Last time PCV valve and air filters were changed? Thanks.

2008 XB, 97K, 10W40 Castrol Syntethic, changes every 5K, Fram Filters, new air filter and PCV changed in September.

Let me know if there is any more info that can help you help me.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-10-2012, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2008 XB, 97K, 10W40 Castrol Syntethic, changes every 5K, Fram Filters, new air filter and PCV changed in September.

Let me know if there is any more info that can help you help me.

Thanks in advance
Sorry but no useful suggestions, only a few more questions. Did it always use that much oil or has consumption increased with mileage? Does your engine leak any oil? At 97k it's not uncommon for the front and/or rear crank seals to start leaking and even rubber valve cover gaskets harden and shrink over time allowing some leakage.

1 qt per 3k miles isn't great but I had a 87 Mustang GT that used 1 qt per 3k miles from new until I sold it at 60k miles. It was common for that 302 engine and the only potential problem was forgetting to check and add oil as necessary.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Sorry but no useful suggestions, only a few more questions. Did it always use that much oil or has consumption increased with mileage? Does your engine leak any oil? At 97k it's not uncommon for the front and/or rear crank seals to start leaking and even rubber valve cover gaskets harden and shrink over time allowing some leakage.

1 qt per 3k miles isn't great but I had a 87 Mustang GT that used 1 qt per 3k miles from new until I sold it at 60k miles. It was common for that 302 engine and the only potential problem was forgetting to check and add oil as necessary.
I got the car from a dealers auction at around 86K. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...ighlight=mauby...Owned Toyota's before and built many a car but the oil consumption of this XB puzzles me. I've replaced the valve cover gasket and there is no leakage on my garage floor. One question..is the TC valve cover the same as the XB? If you checked the link out you will see that the car came with a broke valve cover and I could only find a TC one at the time. The only difference I did notice is that I couldn't use the plastic oil baffle that appears to come under the stock valve cover. Do you think that might have anything to do with the excessive oil consumption? Curios cause I'm running out of ideas. No blue smoke of any kind from the exhaust but I do see a black line below the exhaust on my garage floor as if when when I step on the accelerator oil is coming out.

I'm puzzled...but I do love the car.

Thanks again
Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Other than Gen1 xB i have 08 RAV4 with 2AZ-FE motor. I have to add more than a quart of Mobil1 5w20 between the oil changes. The engine has 55K miles now and for first 10K i used Castrol GTX- it didn't loose any oil with that. It also has an oil pan leak but not enough to cause noticeable loss of oil. I'm taking it to the dealer while it's under warranty for the water pump (started leaking) and gas pedal recall, so i'll see what they say about the oil consumption.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Reactor
Other than Gen1 xB i have 08 RAV4 with 2AZ-FE motor. I have to add more than a quart of Mobil1 5w20 between the oil changes. The engine has 55K miles now and for first 10K i used Castrol GTX- it didn't loose any oil with that. It also has an oil pan leak but not enough to cause noticeable loss of oil. I'm taking it to the dealer while it's under warranty for the water pump (started leaking) and gas pedal recall, so i'll see what they say about the oil consumption.

the dealer is going to tell you that using oil in between changes is normal, especially w/ 55k on the engine...
Old 01-11-2012, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I could probably argue with that but what am i gonna win? TSB calls for replacing rings and pistons. Do i want dealeship techs tear the motor apart and put it together? Probably not. If Toyota were replacing the motor under warranty i would push for it, otherwise i'll keep adding oil. I hope it contaminates the catalytic converter before the 100K miles warranty runs out so i at least get that new from them later.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not positive, but I believe the cat is only warrantied to 80k miles in Cali, and I don't think it's covered beyond that even if you have a 100k extended service agreement.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, you are right- it's 8 years/80K miles but since it's the Federal Warranty it doesn't matter what state you are in.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the car from a dealers auction at around 86K. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202250&highlight=mauby...Owned Toyota's before and built many a car but the oil consumption of this XB puzzles me. I've replaced the valve cover gasket and there is no leakage on my garage floor. One question..is the TC valve cover the same as the XB? If you checked the link out you will see that the car came with a broke valve cover and I could only find a TC one at the time. The only difference I did notice is that I couldn't use the plastic oil baffle that appears to come under the stock valve cover. Do you think that might have anything to do with the excessive oil consumption? Curios cause I'm running out of ideas. No blue smoke of any kind from the exhaust but I do see a black line below the exhaust on my garage floor as if when when I step on the accelerator oil is coming out.

I'm puzzled...but I do love the car.

Thanks again
Assuming that you don't have complete service records for the first 86k miles, your present oil consumption could easily be related to poor servicing before you bought it (or not). Another possibility is that TC valve cover. They are not interchangeble, although they are very simiilar. The main purpose of that oil baffle is to prevent oil from being sucked into the engine through the PCV system. Running without it almost certainly is causing some or all of your excess oil consumption. I highly recommend finding a XB VC to replace the TC one. Another potential problem with a TC VC is that the coil packs are also different. I know of one member who cracked a XB coil pack by installing it into a TC VC which takes a slightly shorter coil pack.

Originally Posted by Reactor
This is JMO, although shared by many others with better credentials than my own, but I dislike *w20 motor oils for DD use. If you're racing and looking for every last HP, running a large capacity dry-sump system and rebuilding every few thousand miles, *w20 is great stuff but when your goal is 200k+ miles of grocery getting, *w30 is still the best oil.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree, w20 is really thin but that's what it calls for on the oil cap. I will probably put w30 next time and see if anything changes. I run 30 weight in my xB1 and it doesn't use any oil at all at more than 80K miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil consumption