Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Toyota 2AZ-FE oil consumption TSB!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just came across this old, but active thread. So, am I correct in assuming that my 2013 XB shouldn't burn oil? I just did my first oil service. It wasn't low. Was it a piston design change? Ring composition?
Old 04-10-2014, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe that it was just a bad batch of rings and/or pistons that made its way into some of the xB's. Some people here haven't had a problem, others including myself had the oil consumption problem. The problem is, you have to be using a certain amount of oil and be in warranty to get this fixed. The oil issue didn't show up until people were just over the 60k miles warranty, then they started to notice a huge increase in oil consumption.

I unloaded my 2008 xB last year before something happened to the engine.

Hopefully you should be one of the lucky ones and won't have that problem.

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks. I purchased the seven year extended warranty.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:44 PM

http://www.chimicles.com/toyota-scio...action-lawsuit

this lawfirm has filed a class action against Toyota. Can we expect a recall in the near future?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good. I intend on keeping this car awhile and would like the protection if there is an issue going forward for me.

Im watching more closely now, but it seems it used 1/2 a quart in 4k miles, and up until recently it wouldnt use any. 75+k miles now.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's about time! Some of us dumped our xB's to get away from this problem!!

Good Luck to all who still have their xB's, maybe you will get something for your troubles.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hello all,
I recently got a letter from Toyota about the oil consumption TSB. Since new in late 06, my scion tc has used oil, and slowly has gotten worse. I only have 52k miles at this point, but I'm assuming it will continue to get worse over time. From the letter, it looks like I have quite a bit of time to take this to the dealer, and if they find that the car isn't consuming "enough" oil, they'll deem it safe, but you can have them do a 2nd test on it. I'm afraid if I take my car in too early it won't show enough consumption, since most people have 100k+ at this point.
My second concern is what all is involved, if after they do find over consumption?
I dread them having to take the engine apart, because I simply don't trust most shops to do work properly. I've seen so many horror stories.
What are your thoughts and expectations? Has anyone had this "condition" fixed?
Old 03-11-2015, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
SCION CORP

Hey jef_46614, if your Scion is included in the warranty enhancement program and it passes the oil consumption test, you may have it retested a second time free of charge (after 6 months or 5k miles have lapsed and the car is still within the terms and conditions of the program).

As for your concerns about the service, I would recommend contacting the dealer and speaking with the Customer Relations Manager. They can address any hesitations or questions you may have regarding the diagnosis and repair. Thanks! ^YG
Old 03-11-2015, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a tad concerned. My original engine (85k miles) didnt use a drop. The replacement engine I got (65k miles) uses about 1/2 qt every 3k miles.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
SCION CORP

Originally Posted by elwaylite
I'm a tad concerned. My original engine (85k miles) didnt use a drop. The replacement engine I got (65k miles) uses about 1/2 qt every 3k miles.
Hey Elwaylite, since you mentioned your engine was replaced, I would advise you to call Scion Customer Experience and share more info about your specific situation. They can give you some clarification. Here's their number: 1-866-707-2466. Thanks! ^YG
Old 03-14-2015, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thought I would add on my personal experience so far with this. went to a toyota dealer right up the road from me. spoke with a service advisor (manager?) who seemed annoyed that I was even there asking about this issue after telling him I got the notice in the mail he asked if I had the notice with me. why would I carry around a notice???
then he asked if I've ever been there before... as if it matters!
then ask quickly as he could explain the details of the procedure and what was involved I just said ok and left. called up another local toyota dealer and the service advisor on the phone was awesome. very friendly tone of voice, slowly and completely explained everything including the fact not mentioned in the mailer sent to me that THEY (dealer) has to perform a fresh oil change service (at my expense) and then start the oil consumption test from that point until 1,200 miles has lapsed and then if 1 or more quarts of oil is missing they will sign me up for the warranty work to be performed when the parts arrive at the dealer.
this all seems more than fair to me as my 07 tc has 130k on the engine and goes through at least 5 quarts of oil every 5 to 6k miles depending on how hard I drive.
I almost never have to do an oil change except to replace the filter but I do a full drain out at the recommended interval anyway.
to those interested my car uses oil no matter what grade.
I have tried 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 0w30, synthetic, high-mileage.
I have been using 5w20 syn HM with best results, lowest burn off, and the dealer is going to put in REGULAR, haha, I will probably be missing 2 or 3 quarts by the time I go back in to have them break the seals and check the level.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine started burning oil last winter. I only knew because the oil pressure light started coming on when I would corner hard. Once I checked it and saw it was low, I started checking it every time I gassed up. For a few months, I had to put a quart in every 1000 miles or so. Then like a light switch, it stopped. I wondered if it was due to warmer weather? Didn't develop the problem again. Then I got the letter in the mail. I just had the consumption test performed and it didn't burn any oil. I told the dealership about what had happened and their mechanic said if I had the issue with the piston rings it would be constant and not be intermittent. I asked what could cause it to be intermittent and they didn't really have an answer. I guess I can only keep checking it and if it develops again then I can take it back in.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Is oil consumption still an issue on a 2013 2AZ?

April 2015 I just got Warranty Enhancement Program 812 - Phase 1 Notification (for my 2013 xB).
It mentions an engine oil consumption test program to determine if your vehicle is eligible for warranty work once sufficient parts have been produced. 'Toyota will send a second owner notification letter once sufficient parts have been produced.'
Is this still a problem with the 2AZ engine? I thought the piston ring problem goes back to 2007. WTF.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow I wish I had seen this earlier... Have to drop $2k on a new 2azfe motor for my 2010 tC. Ran about 4,000 miles since my last oil change and last Wednesday, the motor siezed up.

Will now watch this new motor religiously for this issue... The rebuild however is going smooth so far...
Attached Thumbnails Toyota 2AZ-FE oil consumption TSB!-img_20150505_172301984_hdr.jpg  
Old 05-08-2015, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FIREDOG21
Wow I wish I had seen this earlier... Have to drop $2k on a new 2azfe motor for my 2010 tC. Ran about 4,000 miles since my last oil change and last Wednesday, the motor siezed up.

Will now watch this new motor religiously for this issue... The rebuild however is going smooth so far...

There is a Reimbursement Application you can fill out that came with the extended warranty enhancement program.

If they believe your engine blew because of the defective piston ring they will pay you for the repaiurs made to your car.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

toyota has been using the 2.4 for over 10 years. Its a reliable motor. Every toyota I have owned uses a little oil thats just normal.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bruno769
i'll never buy another toyota ...at 222000 miles now and burns a qt.every 600 miles or so...
are you seroius you have 222000 miles and your _____ing over it using oil? LOL
Old 06-24-2016, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

*update* going months without being contacted by my dealership I decided to just drop in and pay a surprise visit to the service manager. Not sure if they were the actual department manager but after looking through the paperwork and my file he went off to someone's office for a couple minutes. When he returned he said it looks like I've been waiting awhile for this repair and they would fast track me to next week. I said that was too soon and I needed time to gather replacement parts for my own satisfaction (clutch kit). Now he went along and offered me advice on replacing the water pump and doing a head rebuild (new stem seals and a lap job). He would not (or could not) give me exact pricing on the parts for the clutch but did estimate the water pump to be around $100 of the top of his head. He said the head work would come out to around $850. To top off the GOOD news, he told me this warranty repair work amounts to a lower end rebuild which does bearings, seals, and rings. Apparently even though toyota has introduced an improved piston design for this issue (see TSB 0024-11) the extended engine warranty will not cover piston replacement. I have no idea why toyota would bother making a new designed piston if they have no intention of using it for these warranty issues. My drop off date is July 12th. We'll see how the operation goes. I'm going to have them do the bare minimum and I refuse to pay them any money for any more repair work for this car.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

*update* my engine got rebuilt and it has been running great. currently at 1,600 miles since the rebuild which did get new internals such as pistons, rings, bearings, seals, and also oil squirters I think. well being that the car was in the hands of the dealership and their crackpot team of "mechanics" something was bound to go wrong and I just noticed it this weekend. while reassembling the engine they lost a nut for the plastic cover that goes onto the valve cover's 2 studs. the replacement nut the guy used he must have really cranked down in frustration and it spun the stud mount in the valve cover causing a small fracture and now it leaks oil from that stud !!
I have contacted the service manager about this issue and awaiting response on how they plan to proceed.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The model years for the Toyota/Scion warranty enhancement for excessive oil consumption was extended to some newer models.
Most notably, the Scion XB, through the last production year, 2015.

The VIN cutoff number on the XB is:

JTLZE4FE?FJ 069331

The warranty enhancement goes to 10 years or 150,000 miles from first date of service.

In either case, you have to flunk (pass?) Toyota's oil consumption test of at least a quart within 1200 miles.

07-09 Camry
07-11 Camry hybrid
07-08 Camry Solara
09-11 Corolla (2AZ)
09-13 Matrix (2AZ)
06-08 RAV4
07-10 Scion TC
08-15 Scion XB

Quick Reply: Toyota 2AZ-FE oil consumption TSB!