tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Cabin Air Filter (Homemade)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I just replaced mine after only three months - it was totally and unbelievably dirty!
Don't wait - install one now!
BTW, I think the wire should go on the down side, but I'll have to double-check that one.
I should have taken a picture of it - next time I will...it's truly amazing how bad it looked.

Scott
Old 05-10-2006, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is interesting....my electronic parts catalog shows a cabin air filter case (aka tray), but no filter.
My fast moving parts book says:
"The Scion tC cannot be retrofitted with a Cabin Air Filter or Case part number due to cooling system operations."
Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member

"The Scion tC cannot be retrofitted with a Cabin Air Filter or Case part number due to cooling system operations."
Yes, and that's what we debated earlier. I spoke with the rep from my dealership and he read the same message. Basically, he didn't know what that message translated to - what exactly is it saying. And calling Scion didn't help... the rep was simply unaware of any air filter system.

The message is so vague. I don't see how a filter could disrupt and cause harm to the HVAC system - unless you installed the filter incorrectly which would put stress on the fan.

All I can say is that I'm breathing fresher air and apparently (based on the previous post), the filter is grabbing a lot of contaminants producing fresher air.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So can anyone confirm which way is the correct way the filter should face? My filter has the wires side up...I need to know so I can change it.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've been using it with the wire side up with no problems, air flow is still the same.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by DieselTC
YES, I can confirm this... it flows from the top, down. I put the air on and held a piece of paper to make sure.

BTW, forgot to mention earlier and while we're on the subject of clean air... Before I installed the new filter in I also used a product from a German company called Klima Cleaner. It's made by 1Z (or 'einszett' in German). It cleans out the evaporator core inside the dash (that's where all the mold and bacteria are because of water condensation and dirt buildup). Anyway, with that applied and my new filter, I'm looking forward to easier breathing during allergy season. I just wish I knew about the filter a couple of weeks ago before the pollen count started to skyrocket!

Here's a pic and link to the product.

Great DIY I'm gonna try to get this done over the weekend. By the way, what is the evaporator core and how do I get to it?

Link: http://www.1z-usa.com/sys-tmpl/plasticvinylrubbercare1/

Descript:

Klima-Cleaner 250 ml (8,5 fl oz)

- Removes bacteria and fungi from air conditioning units and ducting.
- Reduces allergens for clean, healthy, and fresher smelling air.

Don't mask odors with fragrances -- treat them. Klima-Cleaner is an effective means for removing odors from the air conditioning unit by eliminating odor-causing bacteria, fungi and other germs. Works by effectively cleaning the evaporator -- the source of the problem. Simply insert included spray hose into the center air vents in your vehicle's interior and spray. Allow to work for 30 minutes. Creates a healthy and fresh smelling environment that lasts for months.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member

The evaporator is located in a box within the dashboard (behind the glove box). From the box, the ventilation tubes extend out to the dashboard vents. Refrigerant flows through the evaporator which then pulls heat and moisture from the air flowing over it. The moisture collects on the tubes (like condensation on a glass of ice water) and drops to the bottom of the box. At the bottom of the box is a drain plug that's connected to an evacuation tube that extends to underneath the car around the engine area. That's why you'll see a puddle of water forming underneath a car that's been running its a/c.

The problem is that this moisture that build up in the box is a great place for mold, fungus, etc. That's why it ends up smelling the air coming out of the vents.

So this stuff works by dispensing a thick foam that goes to the evaporator and like soft scrub kills the mold and fungus that grows on the evaporator tubes and within the box.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

So much valuable info, I've had more of this damp mold smell when I turn on my air in my tC more than any other new car I've been in. Usually this smell developes after a few years but I noticed it in my first summer. Gotta get this done before it gets hot around here. I love this furum!
Old 05-20-2006, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even toyota says it can't be done:

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/pd...rfilters06.pdf

However, as part of my 15,000 mile service I just had a new one put in. Using the directions in this thread I opened it up to make sure they really did it. There is a new filter in there, and it looks like an original toyota part.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a bunch of those fiberglass spun one's lyin around, Ill grab a pair of gloves and make me one, although Ill try to double it up as the fiberglass ones arent exactly the best filters. Hopeflly should work without a hitch, Ill let ya know.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by mfbenson
Even toyota says it can't be done:

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/pd...rfilters06.pdf

However, as part of my 15,000 mile service I just had a new one put in. Using the directions in this thread I opened it up to make sure they really did it. There is a new filter in there, and it looks like an original toyota part.
Thanks for posting that.
I'm ____ed though because the filter does such a gret job and comes out incredibly cruddy. All my vents, etc. are so clean that I can't imagine running without one, but if it's going to cause trouble, I'm not sure I want to leave it in

Scott
Old 05-21-2006, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cut a fiberglass one to fit, threw it in, there was room to squeeze a second layer, but one layer seemed that it would do well enough. We shall see.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like to put a dryer sheet on that rack in the filter box to act as a air freshener, smells like fresh laundry
Old 05-21-2006, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey......not a bad idea....

But then again...when i use downy sheets the girls like to snuggle up with me....hehe I don't want them gettin the wrong idea and start snugglin up to my car.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll try that when it comes time to change my filter...good idea. But is it good for circulation of air?
Old 05-22-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this issue re: the tC has been discussed in several threads. this thread from last summer shows what i use. it is a filter called "web absorber" (home depot) and uses a fiberglass filter element and a charcoal sheet with a plastic cover that when cut to fit, fits neatly under the tabs of the filter housing (this part i use over and over).

as told to me last year, toyota's issue with the tC utilizing a filter was the poor ac performance that caused the tsb; they didn't want to impede air flow to exacerbate the problem. since the ac fix there apparenly is no issue. "web absorber" has minimal air flow obstruction.
photos:
http://img106.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...filter28do.jpg

http://img143.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...filter15kx.jpg
Old 05-22-2006, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, so I just did the install and I noticed that either way I put the filter it restricts the air flow just a bit. Anyone know if that's normal?
Old 05-22-2006, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CirrusDriver
Alright, so I just did the install and I noticed that either way I put the filter it restricts the air flow just a bit. Anyone know if that's normal?
toyota says don't use a filter in the tC. there are filters less restrictive than others. i've used a filter since i bought my car and change it every three months. decide for yourself...some filters probably shouldn't be in the tC.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, thanks for the quick reply.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just made one for myself. I got pretty much the same filter as gcxandy's. Gonna have to wait til after work to test it out. Gotta find me a big nasty truck to drive behind...

Quick Reply: Cabin Air Filter (Homemade)