Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

FYI on xD trailer hitches

Old 11-10-2011, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
Hey, if anyone wants to buy an xD with a trailer hitch and wiring already installed, it's for sale at Annapolis Subaru!
Just checked... They still have it... And have dropped the price! $11,294 for a 2009 xD with 67,000 miles on it. I feel kinda bad that they still have it on the lot.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm looking for a 2" hitch setup for an xD, but can't find one.

Do they exist?

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scion_boyo
I'm looking for a 2" hitch setup for an xD, but can't find one.

Do they exist?

Thanks.
Nope. Anything can be custom made, but you want to make sure there's enough structure there for the load you intend to put on it.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

mcbrew, thanks for the reply!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just sold my '06 xA to my son and bought an '09 xD. The xA has had a Curt hitch and converter on it for a couple years now and I plan to add a set to the xD. I haven't pulled anything heavy yet, just brush or furniture but I haven't had any problems at all. Towing seems to be an either/or thing for people: there's the "sure why not" crowd and then there are the "don't you dare tear those tags off!" types. Hauling stuff with my trailer is a lot safer than what you see the f***tards doing with pickup trucks around here.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kessog, what do you mean by 'converter'? Did you use a converter that would allow you to use a Class I (1 1/4") hitch with a Class 2 (2") trailer?

Thanks.

Last edited by scion_boyo; 09-28-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Curt part number 56030, tail light converter. It's for an xB so I had to modify it to work on an xA. Plug-in install so no butchering the wiring.
Here's link to the write-up I did in the xA forum:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193492

I think the only reason to use a 1.25 to 2 inch converter would be to use a basket or bike rack with a 2 inch mount. The problem is that it adds slop and moves the weight back even further. Better to find one that is 1.25".

Note: the tail light converters only use the signal from the turn signals to trigger the trailer lights. That way it doesn't load down or dim the car taillights.

Last edited by Kessog; 04-29-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 04-28-2013, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Smile Late to the party

Hey Everyone,

I've got a 2008 xD and I'm interested in installing a Curt hitch just for hauling bikes. I've read this entire thread with much interest.

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the rear of their xD showing what the installed receiver hitch looks like (just the receiver hitch without anything in it). I'm curious how far it sticks out and how much it changes the aesthetics of the rear.

Since I'm asking for pix, I figure I'd also ask if anyone has any of their xD with a bike carrier and a bike or two on it. I'd like to see how far everything sticks out and also the distance between the bikes and the rear of the car.

Thanks so much!
Old 06-27-2013, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Even later.

Originally Posted by saint
Hey Everyone,

I've got a 2008 xD and I'm interested in installing a Curt hitch just for hauling bikes. I've read this entire thread with much interest.

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the rear of their xD showing what the installed receiver hitch looks like (just the receiver hitch without anything in it). I'm curious how far it sticks out and how much it changes the aesthetics of the rear.

Since I'm asking for pix, I figure I'd also ask if anyone has any of their xD with a bike carrier and a bike or two on it. I'd like to see how far everything sticks out and also the distance between the bikes and the rear of the car.

Thanks so much!
Name:  IMG_0410.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  98.2 KB

You can see where the hitch ends... It doesn't stick out past the bumper cover at all. That is the Curt hitch, by the way.

Name:  xDsmall.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  60.6 KB

Not the best pic, but you can see that it isn't very obvious.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This made me smile.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6ed_1374988360
Old 05-19-2014, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bought a draw-tite off of amazon for $99 shipped, installed in 20 minutes and the most difficult part was tearing that plastic fascia off. Seems super sturdy and can't wait to get a cargo carrier for extra trunk space.

Does anyone know the laws for having one? Do they have to have lights on them? What if it covers my license plate? Reflectors? Etc.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wanted to add - 800kg in Europe is for braked trailers. Unbraked trailers are only 550kg. As such, I would not recommend towing over 1250lbs unless you've equipped your car with a controller and your trailer has brakes on it.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kessog, thanks (very belatedly!) for the reply.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
....I HIGHLY recommend getting an anti-rattle for your bike rack. I have the one that is item number 51942 on etrailer. It costs more than some of the other anti-rattle devices, but some of them don't work with some types of racks... that one will work with any rack.
mcbrew, I'm sure this is a naive question, but: what is an anti-rattle device for? Does it specifically make the rack-hitch quieter, or is there some other advantage, like making the setup sturdier by reducing sway?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I finally got a Curt hitch for my xD. The install wasn't quite as clean as it was with the xA. That and the hitch pin will only go in one way.
I still need to get the air wrench at work and really tighten down the big bolts. 210 ft lb! Although, to be honest that's for 2000# and My trailer is 1K.
The electrical is next with the Curt 56136.

One thing I noticed is that both the Curt and Drawtight have open ends to collect water and no way for the water to exit. Not sure what to do about that. Almost like they want them to rust out from the inside . . .

I need to get hopping on the trailer now. I am going to do it up like a Berlin Flyer wagon trailer. Going to need it to transport my daughter's stuff south for the fall semester.

ETA: also want to get some thin plastic to slide in beside the hitch to tighten it up. I guess just about any heavy plastic will work, it will just be expendable. Have to stick a feeler gauge in to see what's needed.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Do not tow a trailer with a scion xd

Two summers ago, I towed a U-haul from Kansas to California after looking at every single thread on trailer hitches on this forum. I bought a hitch, installed it, towed my ____ halfway across the country, and my 2008 Scion xD did not like it. At one point, it stopped moving. Yeah, my car just slowed down and stopped. I waited awhile and was able to start it again. It began making some pretty loud grinding noises on that drive as well.

Two years later and the noises usually only start happening when going up steep dirt roads with potholes and last for a few weeks. I haven't towed anything since that drive.

My xD has multiple problems, and I'm beginning to think it's from towing that trailer. I have a broken water pump (research on this forum suggests a LOT of xDs have this and that it is normal for this car), leaking oil cover, leaking timer cover, and then that grinding noise which a mechanic thinks is clutch or transmission related.

DO NOT TOW A TRAILER.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by willcoq
Two summers ago, I towed a U-haul from Kansas to California after looking at every single thread on trailer hitches on this forum. I bought a hitch, installed it, towed my ____ halfway across the country, and my 2008 Scion xD did not like it. At one point, it stopped moving. Yeah, my car just slowed down and stopped. I waited awhile and was able to start it again. It began making some pretty loud grinding noises on that drive as well.

Two years later and the noises usually only start happening when going up steep dirt roads with potholes and last for a few weeks. I haven't towed anything since that drive.

My xD has multiple problems, and I'm beginning to think it's from towing that trailer. I have a broken water pump (research on this forum suggests a LOT of xDs have this and that it is normal for this car), leaking oil cover, leaking timer cover, and then that grinding noise which a mechanic thinks is clutch or transmission related.
So, you pushed your car too hard, to the point where it would no longer run, then blame the failure on the trailer? A U-Haul is a heavy, high profile trailer and trying to maintain interstate highway speeds might stress the car too much, particularly westbound when headwinds are likely. That's why U-Haul suggests a lower cruising speed when towing their trailers! If you had chosen a lighter, lower trailer or taken it easier you likely wouldn't have had any issues.

Water pump problems and oil leaks have nothing to do with towing. If you had broken the transmission it would be making noise continuously. The clutch wouldn't be damaged unless you were slipping it a lot trying to get going.

When I was in my 20s I managed to cook a clutch while towing a trailer with a small car. The fault wasn't with the trailer, hitch, or car. It was with the guy driving the car. I learned from my mistake and have towed trailers for thousands of miles since.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Beat by one minute!
What was the total weight of that load? How fast were you trying to go?
If I was towing my max load of 1K I don't think I would go over 50. And that's on level ground.

Mostly I use mine around town with out sized stuff or brush.
Next fall I will use it to take my daughter's stuff 200 miles to college.
Common sense people.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member

Hiddenhitch.com supplies a bolt-on hitch for 2007 - 2010 xD. On that site and other online trailer hitch suppliers, for 2011-present xD there is either no application... or a different part number. Does anyone know what changes were made underneath the rear of the xD after 2010 that would necessitate a different hitch for 2011 - present xD? thanks.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Comparing Curt part numbers 11491 and 11134 it looks like it goes from a three bolt to a two bolt mount. The 2011 hitch drops lower. They probably changed the rear frame somewhat.
https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrar...1024x768_a.jpg
https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrar...1024x768_a.jpg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FYI on xD trailer hitches