xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

Air Filter: Cabin Filter Fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The computer that controls the A/C opens the "recirculate" flap on the air handler box so that when in the cooling range of the temp control (all the way counter-clockwise through about three or four clicks clockwise from there) the air is sucked from both inside and outside sources. The inside source air does not go through the filter...

This makes sense as the only filtering that is needed should be for the outside air, and this prevents a blocked filter from messing with the A/C...

And once more: The airflow in the xA/xB through the filter tray is TOP TO BOTTOM. If you want to verify that, look in the repair manual, or even better, simpler, and cheaper: Pull the filter tray out, turn the blower on high, and feel the airflow for yourself CAUTION: Don't stick anything into the fan - it is directly below the filter tray.

Now stop and think about this for just a moment. It is designed with a TOP DOWN flow through the filter so that the stuff the filter traps lays on the top of the filter instead of falling off the bottom every time the blower is turned off. Any filtration system that collects debris on the bottom of the filter is poorly designed...

Lastly, if you still don't believe, ask anyone who has a filter installed in the tray which side the debris is on - top or bottom. That's the side the incoming air is coming from...

(There are several other threads here on ScionLife where this is discussed at length.)

Wow!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I changed my earlier input to the correct information. My hands must not be as sensitive as they used to be. Used a piece of paper this time, and the air is flowing down as you say (Tamos), and I went out and changed my filter around. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member

Default tC Cabin Filter

My tC has a different glove box than described so far. Can someone explain in detail how to remove the glove box to access the filter box?

Old 10-31-2005, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dang i love this site, i laugh my butt off sometimes people sharing experiances...and its also awesome.

i love the "white particles coming through my air vents....but my car smells nice"

im gonna do this tonight or tomorrow

nice nice info, I ..like many others had NO clue there was no filter!!!

edit: i just did the Web Absorber version, NICE and easy...i added a dryer sheet in the middle will try it out tomorrow
Old 11-11-2005, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Which way does the air flow... Ive had a 3M Filtrete one cut into my car for several months now, and looking at the pictures of the first post, it looks like mine is upside down compared to his/hers...

does air flow from the bottom ^ up... or from the top down???
Old 11-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SpdLmtNA
Which way does the air flow... Ive had a 3M Filtrete one cut into my car for several months now, and looking at the pictures of the first post, it looks like mine is upside down compared to his/hers...

does air flow from the bottom ^ up... or from the top down???
*sigh*

Just a few posts above your question is your answer:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...075440#1075440

That, and the post following it should provide you with the information you need.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just wanted to put in my .0001 cent that why weren't we ever told that there were NO cabin filter included when we purchased the car?

Our Home Depot does not have the Web Absorber, will look for it at Wal Mart
Old 11-12-2005, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

consider it an easter egg!!

less than $7 @ wal-mert for the WEB filt≈r
Old 12-05-2005, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member

great information very few people even know there is a spot for a filter.
I found mine at lowes WEB seems to be the brand name so dont look for the exact label seen in the pics the one i purchased is the same but it says oder absorber
it's the same green,black carbon and grill
Old 01-10-2006, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome ideas! I just bought a carbon/fiberglass filter for a kitchen range hood, and came across this. Guess what... the kitchen's gonna be stinky until I get to Home depot again!

I also have a can of gel air freshener. Used it on USAF jets (now there's a stinky place). The benefit is it lasts forever! I'm sure up to the time it's due a new filter.

Can't wait to pass those dumps now!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the inf it's really helpful i just got i giant air filter for free from one of the ac people the work on my work place i askhim 4 it said no ploblem went home cut it placed now im happy cause im getting cleaner air hehehe thanx everybody 4 the inf .
Old 02-14-2006, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

There's not reason to make a home made filter. I bought one at my local import parts store for about $7 last October.

The filter is the same size as a Toyota RAV4.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

$10 made me 6 for my Xb, and it has a carbon filter as well.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
NM SCIONS

SL Member

nice, i gotta do this soon
Old 03-12-2006, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djflatcracker
There's not reason to make a home made filter. I bought one at my local import parts store for about $7 last October.

The filter is the same size as a Toyota RAV4.

Part# ???
Old 03-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see you have a tC rather than an xA or xB.

Try here for the part numbers - there are multiple places where these have been posted over and over again on ScionLife, this is one of 'em:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...412394#1412394

There is also a decent discussion of the filter in a tC there (and several other places on ScionLife, too!!!)...
Old 03-15-2006, 03:45 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

Picked-up a WEB odor control filter for $9.97 at Lowe's like Satmax and cut into 7 filters.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member

Default Dryer Sheets in Filter

I'd recommend skipping the dryer sheets for two reasons. First, it will shorten the life of your filter because it's adding the oil/syntheticwould ordinarily coat you clothes* to the cabin air or directly to the filter, depending on which side of the filter you put them on. Second, that stuff isn't very good for you to breathe. It's got all sorts of fun chemicals that are linked by some to pretty serious health problems.

*Dryer sheets work by coating the clothes so that they don't actually rub against each other's surfaces and don't generate static electricity. They don't absorb or eliminate odors, they just cover them. The perfume smell is the oils(whatever) evaporating and floating around. Obviously the world is full of pollutants but you're potentially putting yourself in regular concentrated contact with this stuff on your daily drive. Same is true of aerosol (and probably all) air fresheners.

Thanks for the how to on filter construction though. I hope to receive my xB in a week or two and I'll have to do this then (without the fabric softener!).
Old 04-02-2006, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I picked up a Filtrete Allergen Reduction with a MERV 11 rating in 20x25x1 so I can get 6 filters out of it. I also got a Purity home air filter same size because it has a charcoal layer. I took the cardboard off of the Filtete after cutting it, the Purity has a plastic grid you can cut to size to make a good top. I then layered the Filtrete on top of the Purity with the plastic grid on top, duct taped all around and slapped it in. The plastic grid slips under the tray tabs great to hold it in. Hopefully this gives me some nice clean air!
Old 04-02-2006, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did this DIY mod a couple of weeks ago and it's the greatest, simplest mod I've done. I used all of the mentioned filter materials (charcoal to Hepa) in combination and it allows me to have nice fresh air even when following a deisel. Thanks for the info. kudos to the mad scientist!

Quick Reply: Air Filter: Cabin Filter Fabrication