Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

New xB is disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alot of people are talking about (1)how they should've changed the name, or (2)how Scion is supposed to be so 'different' from other car companies...

(1)They aren't going to change the name. The car is essentially the same. They took alot of marketing input from existing xb owners (..wah! I want more power! I want a bigger cargo area! Wah!), and input from people who passed on buying the xB (looks too boxy...dash is too weird...etc.)- and they made a compromise of changes to accomodate current owners who might want to update their vehicle, and people who didn't want the original. At heart, the car is essentially the same.

Why change the name?! Look at the Ford Mustang...What if they changed the name of the car everytime they made an update to the design? What the hell would they call it today?! The 'Clydesdale'? The 'four legged mammal'? Why change a name that has already gathered such recognition, on a vehicle that has not undergone severe changes?

The car is not so alien from the original, people. It's being hyped that way to get you all excited. Most of you who already say you hate it will rush out to a dealership, just to see it...and some of you may leave the lot driving one.
Do a freakin' search on this site for old post about what people would like to see changed on the car, and you will see the new xB.

(2)Scion IS DIFFERENT from other companies. They only offer 3 models at a time. The list of standard features and quality, at these prices, is unheard of. The marketing is geared towards people that most auto companies don't see as a real target. The cars that they offer ARE different from anything else on the road. The tC, xB, xA, and the new xB, and xD are all very distinct vehicles...and I believe anyone would be hard pressed to find any other vehicle on the road that compares well to any of them.

Scion is a different kind of car comapny, but to say that they shouldn't care about making money is just plain stupid. Scion is also a company that needs to be profitable in order to continue. Yes, they do market research. Yes, they listen to the input that they can get from car buyers. Making changes to an existing model, that involve input from current owners and potential buyers, is the best thing to do with any vehicle that already sells well.

Scion did not "rock the boat" as much as some may think with the current xB. The original projections for this car were very thin. Initial California shipments were crowded with xAs and few xBs...but people bought the xBs, and passed on the xA. The consumer 'rocked the boat' here. They new that there was a market for a vehicle like this, but they believed it to be small...and the origianl production plans for the xB were also. It's the xA that sat in lots, and the production plan flipflopped from the xA to the xB.

Still, you'll find more Civics and other more 'expected' designs hitting the road than any Scion. You could make a car that goes 300 mph, cooks your lunch, and scratches your backside for you- but if it varies too far from what consumers want and/or expect in a car, they wont buy it. And if they wont buy it, you'll be out of business.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn evilBox, I actually read through your post, and I must say, very well said. As far as my reason for changing the name, it would keep their saying of a new model, instead of a redesign. who knows they may pull a chevy and call the last xBs the xB classic. and keep the xAs to get the inventory out of stock. (maybe a year transition)
Old 02-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are absolutely correct, of course, that the xB2 design is based on feedback from the current xB Classic owners - and those who DIDN'T buy the xB Classic for some reason.

What is most amazing about the new models in my mind is how quickly Scion/Toyota was able to turn that feedback into new ideas ready for production. In reality, the turn-around time for this seems to be considerably less than what is usually needed.

The replacement for the xB Classic is obviously evolutionary rather than revolutionary - it is based on the original with customer feedback stirred in. It's a good design, it's a good compromise, it will likely be another winner. It's just not a box.

Tom
Old 02-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by peestandingup
For one, Honda didnt tell everyone they were gonna retire all their models every 4 years or so to make way for the new. Scion was built around the "if it ain't new, its thru" concept. Well, they sure threw that notion out the window.
Dude, you having a bad day ( or week ) at work? Life giving you nothing but lemons? I would say why dont you tell us how you really feel, but you already did, and them some. I take it kinda personal that you express to Scion to "grow some *****". IMO Toyota had some really big ***** just bringing this line of quality cars to the states. It was a risk, which if it flopped like the Yugo it would have left a pretty decent scare on the face of Toyota. But you dont see it that way.

And again, Scion isn't Honda (or anyone else). Scion's brand loyalty come from just that, the brand. Not the models.
I dont know about you; and at this point dont even want to guess, but what got me in the Toyota dealership( they didnt even have a Scion section at that time ) to see the new car WAS THE MODEL. If the xB looked like every other import out there there is no way they would have recieved the attention they did. I cant tell you how many RS1 xB items i have ... too many to count. Most of them toys for the little people who could clearly at their young age notice a unique car when they saw it. I did not see that many items made for the Hondah Element ( which at the time was the only thing close to looking like the xB ). The model makes the Scion line. And quite frankly, if Scion wants to improve on their one car that set them on the map in the US then they should. Its called being business smart, not a sell out.

Ya know, the trade in value on a Scion is some of the best out there. Why dont you do us all a favor and trade yours in on a Cobalt. Theyre still the same as when they came out a couple years ago.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
It's a good design, it's a good compromise, it will likely be another winner. It's just not a box.

Tom
Sure it is Tom . .. just think of it as a box that was kicked around a little to round off the corners.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
Originally Posted by Tomas
It's a good design, it's a good compromise, it will likely be another winner. It's just not a box.

Tom
Sure it is Tom . .. just think of it as a box that was kicked around a little to round off the corners.

That would make sense, after a couple of years with us beating it around...

Also, (didn't quote) I've never heard of a courtesy light, but I would welcome it. damn wish the 2 days would just come though already, I would love to see if they put an MSRP on it, and if so, what would the price be
Old 02-06-2007, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For one, Honda didnt tell everyone they were gonna retire all their models every 4 years or so to make way for the new. Scion was built around the "if it ain't new, its thru" concept. Well, they sure threw that notion out the window.
Dude, you having a bad day ( or week ) at work? Life giving you nothing but lemons? I would say why dont you tell us how you really feel, but you already did, and them some. I take it kinda personal that you express to Scion to "grow some *****". IMO Toyota had some really big ***** just bringing this line of quality cars to the states. It was a risk, which if it flopped like the Yugo it would have left a pretty decent scare on the face of Toyota. But you dont see it that way.

And again, Scion isn't Honda (or anyone else). Scion's brand loyalty come from just that, the brand. Not the models.
I dont know about you; and at this point dont even want to guess, but what got me in the Toyota dealership( they didnt even have a Scion section at that time ) to see the new car WAS THE MODEL. If the xB looked like every other import out there there is no way they would have recieved the attention they did. I cant tell you how many RS1 xB items i have ... too many to count. Most of them toys for the little people who could clearly at their young age notice a unique car when they saw it. I did not see that many items made for the Hondah Element ( which at the time was the only thing close to looking like the xB ). The model makes the Scion line. And quite frankly, if Scion wants to improve on their one car that set them on the map in the US then they should. Its called being business smart, not a sell out.

Ya know, the trade in value on a Scion is some of the best out there. Why dont you do us all a favor and trade yours in on a Cobalt. Theyre still the same as when they came out a couple years ago.
So, when someone just voices their honest opinion on here without being at all belligerent or hurtful, do you always assume they are "having a bad day" & go after them?? And yeah, you probably shouldnt take this stuff too personal, dude. Everyone here obviously cares about the brand, but lets not go overboard & start throwing stones. Why would I even bother posting if I didnt care?? Just to bi*ch & complain?? Please, I have better things to do than whine on a message board just for the hell of it. How 'bout you take that chip off your shoulder & learn to take some criticism about "our" brand. Do you work for Scion? Do you have stock in Scion or work on the design team?? Im guessing not. So take it easy there, killer.

Oh, and don't tell me to trade in my xB, pal just because im voicing my opinion about the "new" model. Who gave you that right anyway? I'll keep my box for now, thanks.

Everything I said was true. Yeah, they DID have some big ***** to do what they did in the beginning. But, they didnt follow through with what they originally set out to do. You can spin it any way you want, thats the truth. Its cool that they are looking to capture additional market with the xB2. They want to appeal to those who didnt like the original by giving the current box a makeover. Fantastic! What about us who DID like the original because of its freshness & the fact that it was different?? Why would any current xB owner want the xB2?? We like our box just fine the way it is. Throw something new & fresh at us like you did before. Don't just repackage it & call it new. Especially when you aren't doing that with your other models.

Thats all im saying. I still love Scion, but I just wish they would have made different decisions concerning the xB2. Im gonna wait & see what happens in a couple days & when they release the price/specs. But if its too much for nothing special, I very well might trade to something else. Honda is actually looking pretty good. They are putting a hybrid engine into the Fit for super cheap. I totally expected Scion to do something like that a few years ago, but its not looking like that these days, thats for sure. They one-upped Scion with that move IMO.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

This wouldn't be scionlife without everybody getting their panties in a bunch

My 2 cents is this model is what got scion on the map hopefully they will do what VW has done with the beetle and call it the NEW xB in the marketing.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by evilBOXevil

<lots of sane text deleted, that I whole-heartedly agree with>

Still, you'll find more Civics and other more 'expected' designs hitting the road than any Scion. You could make a car that goes 300 mph, cooks your lunch, and scratches your backside for you- but if it varies too far from what consumers want and/or expect in a car, they wont buy it. And if they wont buy it, you'll be out of business.
Ya'll are probably too young to remember it, but do a google or look in wiki for "Edsel." That marketing disaster cost Ford billions. Same for a company named Studebaker. Both were radically different cars, were supposed to be very advanced, but they ignored the consumer research and died a quick death (Studebaker took lots longer as they managed to have a few more mainstream cars in their herd, but they didn't have the capital to recover.) The lesson is: market to people who can and will BUY the cars. 11-year olds may or may not like it, but who cares? (Not saying its kids that are against the updated xB, by any means, my wife isn't thrilled by the pics of the new one.)

There has to be a balance in style and making money, otherwise, you will be buying Toyota, Honda, Mazda, etc. as Scion will no longer exist as a product if they don't sell what people will BUY.

-Mickie (not old enough to have driven the Edsel or Studebaker, but remember seeing them when I was a kid.)
Old 02-06-2007, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am very excited to see what they have done to the new xB. My only thing with the name remaining the same, is it going to re-classify our current model from "5-door wagon" to SUV with the larger size? I hope not...Plates and insurance will be higher. Probably the areas most aren't thinking of, But I ALWAYS consider when looking for a new car.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Banned
SL Member

So, when someone just voices their honest opinion on here without being at all belligerent or hurtful, do you always assume they are "having a bad day" & go after them??
Wasnt you who posted that Scion " Grow some *****? " I dont know about you but if my boss started making comments about me doing my job, then followed it with Grow Some ***** i would say that he was belligerent and or hurtful.

And yeah, you probably shouldnt take this stuff too personal, dude ... Do you work for Scion? Do you have stock in Scion or work on the design team?? Im guessing not. So take it easy there, killer.
Do i have stock in the company ... not really, but i will tell you this. Here in the NorthEast Scion has done more for its owners then any other car company on the market. Countless shows Scion flipped the bill for ( HINs VIPs and Miami ) and tons of freebies. You start bashing a company that has treated me and my friends real well and yeah ill take it personal.

Oh, and don't tell me to trade in my xB, pal just because im voicing my opinion about the "new" model. Who gave you that right anyway? I'll keep my box for now, thanks.
It is a new model. As of December they shut down to re-tool the factory to produce the new box.

Fantastic! What about us who DID like the original because of its freshness & the fact that it was different?? Why would any current xB owner want the xB2?? We like our box just fine the way it is. Throw something new & fresh at us like you did before. Don't just repackage it & call it new. Especially when you aren't doing that with your other models.
Me personally i like the new xB2 cause it is better and has more to offer IMO. Thats just it, its my opinion. If you dont like the new box, good for you, dont buy it. But dont come on here and start calling Scion names and bashing what it stands for. Did you actually even see the new xB2 debut in Miami? Just curious.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

where did you guys see pictures of the xb2?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by snowbuddytC
where did you guys see pictures of the xb2?
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=159288
Old 02-07-2007, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Me personally i like the new xB2 cause it is better and has more to offer IMO. Thats just it, its my opinion. If you dont like the new box, good for you, dont buy it. But dont come on here and start calling Scion names and bashing what it stands for. Did you actually even see the new xB2 debut in Miami? Just curious.
Nope, havent seen the actual product, which is why I said im not gonna judge it too much until they release the photos/price/specs. Have you seen it??

What im mostly bummed about here is the execution of the new xB & just the whole way they are going about it. Im glad they are listening to non-Scion owners about what to put into the new one. But, from everything thats already been said about it, to me, its a step in the wrong direction.

The engine is bigger & probably wont get as good gas mileage. Thats just crazy to me. More power is always a good thing, but if you gotta sacrifice MPG, then why do it? Especially in this day & age. That was one of the original's biggest selling points to A LOT of people.

The overall body is said to be bigger too. All these changes sound like the new xB is creeping into the SUV realm & will probably drive the total price upwards to over 17k for an automatic when its all said & done.

Point is, bigger isnt always better. Almost everyone I know who bought the xB1 got it because it was a super affordable, well made, compact automobile that had tones of interior room for its size that got great gas mileage. Everyone! And not to mention, it was sooo cool & different.

If all rumors point out to be true, I just dont see how those same people could be a fan of this new model, me included. Yeah, I probably wont buy one if thats the case. There are other autos out there that offer more for the money, like the hybrid Fit is rumored to be around 16k. If thats true, it'll be amazing.

And when did I EVER call Scion names?? Seriously, quote me, I dare you. Yeah, I said they needed to grow some ***** & they SEEMED like they punked out with the xB2.

Seriously, man. Don't put words in my mouth trying to make me out to be a bad guy on here, because im not. If my posts upset you too much, then just dont read them or create your own forum.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Banned
SL Member

Nope, havent seen the actual product, which is why I said im not gonna judge it too much until they release the photos/price/specs. Have you seen it??
Yeah, i was one of the lucky ones who got to go to Miami and see it first hand. I can tell you that the difference between what we saw in Miami and what was leaked today is close, but worlds apart. The styling of the one we saw was really eye catching. The one that was leaked is just a blank canvas. And the one they showed us had a 1.8 and not the 2.4
Old 02-07-2007, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If this red thing is really the xD, then they might as well call it the new xA. IDK if it's really it but I got this from another thread.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only thing I like on the new xBs are the door handles.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default Re: New xB is disappointing

Im gonna reserve total judgment until they actually unveil the xB2, but I must say, so far im not really liking this "new" model too much.

It seems like Scion/Toyota is holding on too tight from the last xB. The new one isnt THAT much different looking in shape than the old one. Its different yes, but its not crazy different like the original was for its time. Remember when you first saw the xB1? Remember how you said "Damn, now THATS different!" Im just not getting that same feeling here when I look at the sketches + spy shots.

For them to totally scrap the xA & leave the xB name intact shows that Toyota has lost some *****. They didnt wanna rock the boat again like with the first one, hence the reason they made it the xB part 2. If you are going to remake the xA into something totally different with a totally different name/body, then do that with your entire product line. Dont give us a "remastered" version of the current xB. Go crazy, do something totally different like you did before. I actually liked the T2B concept. They could have done that up right & made it shine. It was the same basic concept as xB1, but pretty different & unlike anything else on the road.

I mean, I think they could have followed the same basic rules as with the first xB, but develop something very different that make us all say "WOW, they did it again! Check out that crazy looking thing. I GOT to get me one!" Instead, they seemed like they punked out & took the safe road. Doesnt that go against everything Scion stands for?? Isnt that why they existed in the first place, to be different & buck the system??

Like I said, im not gonna judge it too much until we all see the actual product in all its glory, but so far, im not impressed. Am I the only one??

Not xB - NExB!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man, I was really hoping that I would be wrong on some of the specs that were leaked up until now, but according to the new info we got today from Car & Driver, my worst fears about the new xB came true.

While reading it, I honestly almost cried. It didnt sink in until later today. Every single thing I loved about the original xB is now gone. The funky & hip import-like styling has been replaced with a ho-hum "Americanized" body, the little engine that got superb gas mileage has been thrown out for a beefier but not-so-gas-friendly powerplant. Everything from the center gauges to the compact overall footprint of the vehicle, all gone. The once practical & super affordable xB has been killed off & replaced by something that is much harder to justify the extra cost + MPG hit. Especially since its now nothing special to look at given the striking similarities to other vehicles that are currently on the road.

Im not trying to be a downer, but im pretty upset by all this. They have totally disregarded their current market & are obviously going for the more mainstream buyers. Thats fine, but I don't understand it at all. Scion isnt supposed to be that, let the Toyota brand take care of the mainstream market. You were supposed to appeal to the un-mainstream & thats just gone now.

Im sad because I was planning on being with Scion for a long time, but I just cant get behind this. They are soo new still & im not sure what will happen to them now. They may survive, but it wont be the same. I feel sorry for them because they are gonna lose their current market, even if they gain in other ones.

And the xD? Why did they change the name on that one but not the xB?? xD doesnt look/sound much different than the xA, but the new xB SURE isnt even close to what the original stood for, so why??? Makes no sense at all.

Again, my worst fears came true today & im sure its only gonna get worse tomorrow when they show us everything. Im sorry, everyone.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going back to Honda, or moving on to Mitsubishi.

Quick Reply: New xB is disappointing