Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xD Water pump replacement

Old 12-04-2013, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member

Default No Need To Drop Engine

Did my water pump today at 123K miles. I bought a Napa auto brand pump and after reading some posts - this is what I did:

1. Use a jack to lift engine slightly - then remove engine mount.
2. Remove top bolt of Alternator and loosen bottom - bend forward as far as possible after removing belt.
3. Loosen all bolts on water pump and remove - it slides out no problem. I did have to remove the plastic guard underneath to get to bottom bolt, but that was easy and only 5 bolts.
4. Slide Napa pump in - same size as old one - but way better bearing.
5. Tighten all bolts and then put everything back on in reverse order I took off.
6. Tighten Alternator until no squeaking.
7. Flush and Fill
Done - Water Pump - 77.00 / Coolant - 15.00 / Flush and Fill kit - 5.00 /

Total Cost - $97.00 / Total time - 3.5 hours / I am an IT guy - not a mechanic.

You almost need to sue the guys that charged over 300.00 for labor.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member

Great Job.
I should've looked for a different water pump. I never thought of looking at NAPA.
They got me for an extra $100 and a few hours time. Your post should end that grief for everyone else.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:44 AM

I suggest you must have to take your car to an expert. you should visit to a good auto repair shop. I suggest you a best auto repair shop i.e. Transmission Experts, they are really helpful. Transmission Experts also offers a wide range of auto repair services including Transmission rebuilding, Radiators, Drive shaft repair, Breaks, shocks, alignment, suspension etc.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member

Default 0048-09

Originally Posted by SonicNexus
I can't remember for sure the milage right now but I know Im pushing pass 80k and I run her hard. I haven't had any problems except the water leaking on the passenger side. The car is a solid car if you do the maintenance as mentioned above.

I figure you are having the same issue we are all having. I am pushing 80k. my wife don't drive it hard at all and I do all the maintenance on tie. My Water Pump was going out. while I was changing the oil, I notice the pink stuff on my hood on the RH side. figured something got on my belts from the road. I wiped the stuff off and kept it moving.
2 days later I decided to clean the corrosion off the battery. I saw the same strip of pink residue on the hood again. I look and saw a lot of it on the bottom of the top motor mount on that side. I figured by the way the residue looked(like pink water dried up) it must be the pump. checked the radiator cap and found that the liquid was pink. the level was normal however. but I didn't have any engine noise at all. it was just a small leak on the serpentine belt that got my attention. no leaks on the ground but when I took the bottom plastic cover, a nice amount was poring out of it.

this ____ed me off. I got her this thing because it was a Toyota and I thought Toyota lasted at least 200,000 miles without a hiccup. I don't even get problems with my American made vehicles till about 125k or more(except for raggedy Chrysler of course).

that's my story. but I am having a problem. Did any of you flush your coolant fluid and if so, how did you get to the cylinder drain ****?

update: after reading the post again, it seems like SonicNexus is talking about the AC condensation drain hose being clogged. there is info on these forums on the quick fix for that.

Last edited by Kalow; 10-08-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My water pump went out last weekend. Took it to my local guy who works at a Nissan dealer by day. He put in the new part, flushed and filled my coolant for $250. My D has just under 92k miles. I hope to make this thing last 250k before it dies.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member

I have a 2008 with 75K and my water pump started making noise a few weeks ago. Well this past Tuesday it really started groaning and I could visually see it wobbling as it turned. Yikes!

Replaced it today with help from a friend (having an extra hand certainly helped). I installed the NAPA water pump as a previous thread mentioned but also replaced the serpentine belt at the same time.

We did NOT have to drop or raise the engine at all or remove the bumper (not sure why folks are doing that). We drained the radiator, then loosened the alternator and moved it forward as previously mentioned in order to get to the top bolts on the water pump easier, then removed the bottom right plastic panel to reach the remaining bolts from below. The water pump came out very easy from the bottom and was replaced the same way. Now I won't lie, getting the water pump bolts loosened was kind of a pain due to the tight working space, but they went back in much easier (go figure).

I spent $85 at NAPA for the pump and a gallon of Zerex (anitfreeze) and $45 for the serpentine belt at O'reilly's. Total repair time took just over 2-hours.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:39 AM

I am surprised I am not alone with the water pump problems. I have XD 2008. I have all services done in the dealership. Last maintenance in January shows no problems. I went to a different dealer for brake work and was told the water pump is leaking as it builds up some pink residues under the hook and around the water pump. I wish I had read this thread before my warranty expired. Now it has 67k right after warranty. I called scion customer service to see if they will give me special offer. The representative said no. I told him I have seen people complaining about short life water pump and if scion is aware that it should have been a recall. He said he can not predict and said maybe if enough people to complain, scion may do a recall and I should keep my paper work. I just think of GM issuing recall long after they realized the problem. Maybe instead of trying so hard to figure out how to replace it, we should actually call 1866.70.Scion. When enough people complains, will they care about the customers and adjust the issues?
Old 05-04-2014, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Made it to 145K on the stock pump and no issues But now scared she could go anytime so I ordered in an Aisin and will do the pump along with the belt (that still looks good) just to ensure all is well. Also finally doing the totally shot struts / shocks along with TRD springs (so glad to get the tanabes out - just to low for when I have the whole fam in the little car) Thanks for the quick write-ups guys!

Update: Did the waterpump. Was not as bad as I thought but not a quick and easy. Any mechanic or dealer that says you have to pull the motor to do it is full of crap and is trying to rip you off. Per all the instructions in this thread (thank you all for the heads up) just raise the motor off the passenger side mount. Takes some work and prying but you can get the new one back in with a few 4 letter words thrown at it. The stock pump is a JOKE. I have seen better built waterpumps on lawnmowers! Just a flat stamped piece of steel with a cheesy little bearing - seal. Cannot believe Aisin built that pile of crap - no idea how mine lasted so long! Toyota / Scion must have really killed them on the budget. The new unit is built as it should be - normal Aisin quality, long shaft nose and seals that protrude into the back of the pulley. The newly designed Aisin is a BEAST compared to the stock unit.

Per the above poster, if you replace it with the newly designed Aisin (recommended by me) it is absolutely impossible to replace the pump without lifting the motor off the mount and without some manipulation of the motor (prying on it, pulling it forward). The stock unit will go in and come out without much hassle but comes out easier if you lift the motor up. The new Aisin is larger, with a larger nose on the pulley. You need about 1/2 of extra clearance to install it.

Last edited by Garage1217; 05-12-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2008 Scion xD 70k miles. Heard grinding from engine bay and opened it up to find out it was coming from the w/p. A week (I know, I know, I was busy) later as I was driving to the stealership the pump seized and tore up my serp belt. Dealer quoted over 1k for it due to having to drop the engine. I asked if there was a TSB on it and was lied to and told no. Bought the w/p from the dealer and it did not fit

Went to a few other stores and neither did the rest of them. So thankful for this thread and Napa for the part.

$80 Napa waterpump
$30 Pink Coolant from Stealership
$35 Belt

30 minutes to take it out and flush coolant
2 hours to try and fit the toyota part in
30 minutes to install the correct one in, fill coolant, and bleed it of air.

$145 and an hour (if I hadn't of wasted 2 on toyota's part) of my time is much better than the $1245 I was quoted.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I would love to see the napa pump people are using. The toyota part is almost guaranteed to be an Aisin part which is a very difficult fit - but built like a tank. You absolutely do NOT need to drop the motor so dealers are screwing people on this - hopefully many on the internet will find this thread and dealers will become aware that consumers know they are screwing xD owners on this. Hate dealers when they go for money grabs.

The Aisin pump part is WPT-140 to note. Generally about $60 shipped.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just discovered this thread after my 2008 Scion xD was just discovered to have a leaking water pump at about 70k! What's the consensus on Napa vs Aisin water pump? The only parts I've ever purchased for my car myself are tires. I am not a mechanic...I'm an IT guy. And I would be happy to pay my local mechanic to install it for me.

What am I looking for exactly in a new water pump? What websites are you getting yours from? Is there a part number? Are there different Aisin pumps to choose from?

I'm printing out all of the step by step instructions in this thread and showing them to my mechanic so he doesn't have to go through the estimated 11 hour job of taking the whole engine out!

EDIT: I searched "water pump" at napaonline.com for a 2008 Scion xD and found two parts:

1. Aisin Altrom ATM 1522431
Link: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...431_0282714769

2. Napa TFW 41201
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...201_0282918869

Would I be fine getting either one of those? From this thread, it sounds like the mechanic will have a harder time installing the Aisin due to a tight fit but that it can still be done without removing the motor. People have said the Napa will be easier to install. For this reason, I'd like to go with the Napa, even though I'm not doing the install myself.

Is that Napa one the one I should buy? Here's some more info on it:
Housing Material : Stamped Steel
Timing Belt Driven : No
Water Pump Rotation : Reverse
Features and Benefits:
These Original Equipment Equivalent Water Pumps Have A Unitized Seal To Protect The Bearings & Provide Leak-Free, Long-Life Performance.
The 1-Piece Bearing Assy Has Factory Sealed Bearings That Are Computer Matched For Low Friction.
No-Sealant-Required Gaskets.

Last edited by willcoq; 06-11-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: adding water pump I found
Old 06-11-2014, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by willcoq
Just discovered this thread after my 2008 Scion xD was just discovered to have a leaking water pump at about 70k! What's the consensus on Napa vs Aisin water pump? The only parts I've ever purchased for my car myself are tires. I am not a mechanic...I'm an IT guy. And I would be happy to pay my local mechanic to install it for me.

What am I looking for exactly in a new water pump? What websites are you getting yours from? Is there a part number? Are there different Aisin pumps to choose from?

I'm printing out all of the step by step instructions in this thread and showing them to my mechanic so he doesn't have to go through the estimated 11 hour job of taking the whole engine out!
It seems the napa pump is the easiest to install. The Aisin is a real pita. I know for a fact the Aisin is fantastic build wise, however the Napa most likely is drastically improved as well. Cannot get any worse than the stock unit. Also there is one Aisin pump WPT-140. Not sure the napa part number
Old 06-16-2014, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member

Default Scion wants to hear from US

My experience with this water pump issue started 2 days ago on June 14, 2014 on my 2009 Scion XD. My water pump failed like others here at 70,091 miles. After later finding out from an independent mechanic that my water pump failed causing the serpentine belt to snap, losing all coolant, and overheating I got it fixed for a whopping $602. While getting it fixed I saw a post on carcomplaints.com for the 2008 Scion XD water pump failure and that poster actually had a link to this very forum which showed me I wasn't alone.

Today I called Scion and the woman who answered was very helpful. I told her that others on this forum and carcomplaints.com have had the same problem. She said, Scion wishes people would call in because that way, they can open cases like mine and if enough happens, they can do a recall. She said not enough people call in to report these issues.

She said before fixing my car, I should have called them because even though my car is out of warranty, they might have been able to help with the problem especially since I am a Scion Brand Loyal customer and have bought 2 other new scions from them in the past. Also that I should have taken it to a Toyota service station because they cannot help with the bill now that it was done by an independent mechanic.

If anyone is still active on this forum, please call Scion and open up a case. If there is a recall, we would get reimbursed for this problem as long as we have the receipts still (independent mechanic) or if you did it through a Toyota/Scion Service station.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member

I will do so. but check this out, here it is, AGAIN!! 90,000 miles and now, an alternator. clutch on alternator failed, can't say I didn't expect it. but another costly repair to add to this suppose to be rock solid vehicle.
should have tried the Kia out or gave the Hyundai company a second chance. they were much more affordable. SMH I'm so disappointed and upset. I really, really didn't need this repair right now.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the info. I just got the same waterpump issue on my 2009 xD with only 71,000 miles. I contacted Scion and they are going to see what they can do. Longo Toyota is charging about 660.00 for the repair which is much better than my mechanic was going to charge me, but still extremely expensive for waterpump replacement.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member

I'm going to keep an eye on it, but it looks like the NAPA pump that I installed to replace the failed stock unit on the first of March this year (see my post above) is going bad.

I've noticed lately that there is coolant spatter (dried white) around the pulley areas and under the hood and it also appears that there are remnants of dried coolant in one location on the inner part of the water pump pulley. It is not making any noise at this point and I haven't seen any significant loss of coolant, but I really can't believe it might need to be replaced again.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member

Well the NAPA pump is definitely leaking, very little, but leaking. Notice a very slight wobble on the pulley also but no noise. I'm going to replace it tomorrow with the same replacement part and chalk it up to a bad part. I didn't keep my receipt from the last one, but I will this time. If it goes again I'll install the updated OEM. I just don't feel like releasing the motor mount to get the updated design installed. General online consensus is that these aftermarket water pumps seem to be hit or miss as to their reliability/longevity.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member

Okay, second NAPA pump installed. Took about as long to replace as the last one...'bout 2 hrs with some BS-ing between friends. It was definitely leaking (weeping really) from behind the plastic hub. Most likely the seal was compromised. Bearings seemed just a wee bit worn (relative to the new unit), but nothing compared to the stock one that was replaced back on the 1st of Mar 14. Lets hope this one lasts longer than 7 months.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member

Girlfriend's 2009 xd. Same thing. Original pump lasted 145,000 which is not the norm I know. Went to Orielly's and got a pump...wouldn't fit. Had her go get one at dealer. Same thing. I visited this site (which I should have to start with) and saw I wasn't the only one. Huh...Napa. I forgot about them. Called and had the guy pull it out an confirm it is built like the original. She just went to Napa to get the part just now. While the upgraded pump is probably a real plus, I don't have the tools here to do it. So we're going with that. Will report back if/when it fails again. I figure the car should be in the junkyard by the time the next pump fails if it lasts as long as the original...But yeah I agree...crappy design. My girlfriend looked at it and said...that's not a water pump...that's just a piece of metal with a pulley on it...I assured her that piece of sh*t was in fact a water pump.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member

Here is the Napa pump. See the pictures. Other than it not saying ASIN on it, it is EXACTLY the same pump. Not close...exact. I'm guessing this is the pump that Toyota used...maybe Napa got a good deal on the leftovers...lol!
Attached Thumbnails xD Water pump replacement-img_0481.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: xD Water pump replacement