Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Scion Officially Axing the xB

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 04:48 PM

Default Scion Officially Axing the xB

Scion is finally getting rid of the xB, but is it the right time?

Read the rest on the Scion Life homepage. >>
Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 PM

Thats quite sad, I have the 2013 xB... i feel like there is a lot of potential for the xB
Old 07-10-2015, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sad for many of us on the forum that love these cars...
Old 07-10-2015, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Not replacing the Scion xB with an equivalent, and only bringing the Mazda and Auris into the lineup will be the death of the Brand. Toyota knew at it's inception that Scion wasn't ever really designed to stay a stand-alone brand forever. Scion was developed to be an exercise by Toyota to reduce the average age of the Toyota owner....
Old 07-11-2015, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
The Family
SL Member

This just shows that their management is lost in tall weeds. I fear they are intenially trying to kill Scion as a brand. I was looking forward to getting a 3rd Gen xB. To go with my 1st and 2nd gen xB's. Looks like that won't happen now. Only thing they have that I would consider now is the FRS. But wife's back issues prevents her from comfortably getting in and out of one. Why not bring the bb here?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

The xB technically wasn't supposed to last more then one model as it were..

Scion's original plan was to have only one model and then replace it with a newly named model when the previous' time had come. They ended up keeping the xB and tC badges due to the name recognition, so really, right from the get-go, they didnt' stick to the plan.

Now they are developing cars that are too high priced, not "exciting," and that compete with the toyota lineup directly(corolla, yaris, etc..)

Scion will go the same way Saturn went. Why would i buy an iM that I CAN'T negotiate the price on, when I CAN negotiate a better deal on a Corolla, a 5 door Yaris, or Prius C?

Scion leaders need to remember what happened to Saturn when the product got too expensive and directly competitive with Chevy to be reasonable....they flopped.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have to agree. With the exception of the FR-S and possibly the tC, missing an xB turns Scion into a me-too brand of indistinctive cars. Too bad these marketing geniuses can’t learn from Plymouth, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Saturn, Pontiac, etc. Or Cadillac selling rebranded Chevies, Ford (still) selling rebranded Fords as Lincolns.

I’ve liked my xB brand for practicality and value (xB); my wife loves her tC for the sportiness and value. I have had no interest in newer xBs than my 2008 because there are few significant changes. Give me the newer 2.5L 4; 6 speed manual; a bit more sound deadening and some chassis stiffness improvements and you have my interest. Especially if it can still be personalized after market so I don’t have the exact same car that rolled off the factory to the dealer lot (since virtually no new car is tailorable anymore, unlike the 1960s and 70s when you could custom order your car, your way).

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-09-2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-02-2015, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by retlaw
Have to agree. With the exception of the FR-S and possibly the Tc, missing an Xb turns Scion into a me-too brand of indistinctive cars. Too bad these marketing geniuses can’t learn from Plymouth, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Saturn, Pontiac, etc. Or Cadillac selling rebranded Chevies, Ford (still) selling rebranded Fords as Lincolns.

I’ve liked my Xb brand for practicality and value (Xb); my wife loves her Tc for the sportiness and value. I have had no interest in newer Xbs than my 2008 because there are few significant changes. Give me the newer 2.5L 4; 6 speed manual; a bit more sound deadening and some chassis stiffness improvements and you have my interest. Especially if it can still be personalized after market so I don’t have the exact same car that rolled off the factory to the dealer lot (since virtually no new car is tailorable anymore, unlike the 1960s and 70s when you could custom order your car, your way).
Not many brands have motorsports division parts that are options at purchase
Old 08-07-2015, 04:34 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

It was long overdue. There isn't much difference between my 2008 model and a 2015.

Toyota pretty much showed they didn't care about the xB when it didn't get the proper powertrain upgrade like the Camry and tC got. The 2.5 with a 6 speed auto would've helped mpg #s and may have increased sales.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member

Default Another mistake imo

I had 06 xA....last year...then gas prices went thru roof....xA would've sold a ton of cars those following years...one of best cars i've owned.

xB is a huge part of Scion. Do a remake, don't kill it off like xA.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-09-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love my 2010 xB. I use it to haul everything and the family with plenty of room. I came from a fully modded tC to an xB for the 4 doors and the cargo room. 5 speed with an intake makes it fun to drive, its not fast, but its fun and love hauling our 17' canoe around with no problems. Cheap and practical. I can't complain about 29 MPG with a roof rack and basket on 24/7.

Sad to see it go. Was very useful. What about all the taxi's?
Old 08-13-2015, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Frank - beautiful post, very well written. I agree - hope Toyota comes out with something similar to the xB. I agree wholeheartedly with you - the "geometric beauty" of the gen1 models can't be matched by any other car out right now.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by magyver
I love my 2010 xB. I use it to haul everything and the family with plenty of room. I came from a fully modded tC to an xB for the 4 doors and the cargo room. 5 speed with an intake makes it fun to drive, its not fast, but its fun and love hauling our 17' canoe around with no problems. Cheap and practical. I can't complain about 29 MPG with a roof rack and basket on 24/7.

Sad to see it go. Was very useful. What about all the taxi's?
I don't see how you're getting 29mpg unless having the 5 speed greatly helps this car. I struggle keeping it between 24.8-25mpg.

I really should have just went with the manual, but my purpose was to get a daily and not have to shift in L.A. traffic like i do in my mini.

Oh well. I'm liking the car regardless.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

You can get 29 mpg if you drive easily and never go over 65 mph.
My 5 speed used to get about 26 or so mpg...my auto is getting about 25 right now.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion jumped the shark with the second generation xB. They gave their market away to Kia and the sales numbers prove it.

I know that people like the xB2, but they aren't nearly as fanatical as the original xB folks.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by AAG
It was long overdue. There isn't much difference between my 2008 model and a 2015.

Toyota pretty much showed they didn't care about the xB when it didn't get the proper powertrain upgrade like the Camry and tC got. The 2.5 with a 6 speed auto would've helped mpg #s and may have increased sales.

dead on!
Old 02-20-2016, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
The 2.5 with a 6 speed auto would've helped mpg #s and may have increased sales.
A US version of the bB would have sent sales far higher. Toyota had the formula nailed, then pulled defeat from the jaws of victory by Americanizing the bB far too much.

If we could get the current bB one of those would be in my driveway instead of a new Honda Fit.