Notices

Project: Angry Panda (V1.0)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Project: Angry Panda (V1.0)

alright, well after running around for a month on the bottle, i've decided the time has come to go FI..

spoke to a few friends in the subaru community and found the base for my project: TD04 from a stock WRX.

picked up a JDM catted downpipe from another WRX owner and have two intercoolers coming from a DSM and MR2.. (no i'm not twin intercooling, just have two people nice enough to each donate)..

the plan is 7PSI stock block, while i build another block out of vehicle. built block will be balanced, head will be worked, gonna run 9:1 pistons and forged rods, and most likely a block guard.

i will be using (for my first trial) a stock exhaust manifold as my base for the turbo manifold. however, after some research, i learned that a D series manifold from a honda will work on the 1NZ with very slight modification, so if my stockie doesn't last long (and i don't expect it to) i will be switching it over to a D series mani..

the point of this build is to prove how inexpensively a turbo system can be set up. yeah, you can run out and buy a "kit" from some shop, and hopefully they'll ship it, and hopefully you can install it, and hopefully it doesn't blow your engine.. and when it does, you're out $3000 for the kit and in need of a block..

i gladly accept any information or actual knowledge in the area of FI on the 1nz. will try to keep this thread updated as progress continues..

here's my first picture, waiting on the intercooler. i have another block and head i'm gonna use to test-fit everything on so i don't have to keep tearing down my car every time i need to check fitment.

the current plan is to top mount the intercooler, close to the "nose" of the hood so i can vent it easily and get the air down and out efficiently.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool, keep us posted
Old 10-26-2007, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

watching
Old 10-26-2007, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmmmmm prodigous.......
Old 10-26-2007, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Your always going the extra mile, huh?? Always wanting to do everything different, right?? Well once again your going out to prove a point and i have no doubt i my mind that you can do it. I just don't think its going to be a pain free as I thought it would be. I was going the custom route and it was TOO much work, TOO much time and i don't have that kind of leisure. You say you wanna go custom for it to be cheaper, but when i did this calculation i was saving only about $200.00. Of course i was NOT getting free parts nor did i have any cheap (as in price) connections, but for an everyday person this is the case. I know a lot of people that have turbo charged their cars for next to nothing, but the tubes weren't mandrel bent, the intercoolers were used, the turbo wasn't ball bearing, the welds were horrible and the cars didn't last. Something has to give.

Me on the other hand, i prefer the easier buy a bolt-on kit and make it work and not have to bother with all this other stuff, that you will have to do deal with. I have all the oil and water lines, i have all the bungs, sensors, adapters and a vacuum log. The list is IMMENSE, and thats why chose to buy a turbo kit. If im putting something on my car is MUST be better than great. Todd's kit at Turbo Toyotas is, BY FAR, the BEST BEST BEST kit on the market for xA and xB.

If your doing this just for fun, then more power to you. This has GOT to be VERY fun, but this is my daily driver and i can't afford having it sit in a garage for a month until they create the header, downpipe, charge pipes, oil lines etc...

Remember Tamago, i have nothing against you. Most of the parts installed on my car are because YOU recommended them to me, i have no doubt in your abilities, i even bought a set of rims from you!! All im trying to say is think everything thats needed to put a WELL BUILT turbo car together and then think if Todd's kit is a waste of money.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned
SL Member

i cannot disagree, a kit is a smarter idea.. but like you said, yes, i like doing things differently. this project is more for personal satisfaction and learning than anything. i want to be able to say with full confidence that i am able to properly set up a turbo system on the 1NZ after this project is done.. i have no doubt this will not be an easy job, but i'm also taking my time, building the kit out of vehicle on a spare block i have, and doing a LOT of research into management..

by the way, i may be selling another set of wheels ;)
Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Exterior pic.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Banned
SL Member

meaning?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Banned
SL Member

ok, made a small amount of progress tonight. this is purely mockup, the manifold is gonna be different in shape. next up will be an almost all day project, as i'll have to pull out my stock exhaust to see if this bad boy fits in the engine bay.. before any of you ask..

1. yes, the outlet of the compressor side is pointed the wrong direction. it will be pointing up..

2. and yes, the downpipe will need modification, gonna have to get a serious elbow on that.

3. the welds are ____ty.. i'm so sick of this welder. i forsee me buying my own TIG welder by the time this project is over. $$ lol, more than i'll have in the turbo!

ok here they are..

:D
Old 10-30-2007, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i will be doing a custom turbo next summer! Looks like all is going well.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Grats on the ***** to do a custom job. Regardless whether it works or not, I'm sure you'll get tons of experience and knowledge. I'm sure you'll make it work though.

Where are you going to get the motor sleeved?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

You go Joel! lol... you've got big cohones my man... gonna keep my eye on this thread. good luck
Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you know what you are doing its pretty easy, yes it time consuming but still easy, and it will be a ton better than any of the kits out there. and your not over paying for a kit.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Banned
SL Member

^^^^^^
my thoughts exactly
Old 10-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Banned
SL Member

also, as far as sleeving, well that'll happen in V2.0, as i will build up a long block for boost. this is a low buck approach to see if it's something i want to pursue further.

built block will be balanced, sleeved, possibly overbored slightly. pistons, rods, i'm already P&P'ing the head (the one i'm using to hang the manifold off of) and will be researching valves and springs soon..
Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats one thing i would be very interested in is P&P the head.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tamago
also, as far as sleeving, well that'll happen in V2.0, as i will build up a long block for boost. this is a low buck approach to see if it's something i want to pursue further.

built block will be balanced, sleeved, possibly overbored slightly. pistons, rods, i'm already P&P'ing the head (the one i'm using to hang the manifold off of) and will be researching valves and springs soon..
Are you personally doing the P&P work? If your are thats sick, lol.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

freaking sweet joel.. big props. i hope v1 boost goes great.. the only thing i see being a problem is that large can in the manifold.. do you think you might have some lag from such a large collection point.. i know you have a shop! lol make some tube bends and see if you can make a better log style manifold or a ram horn manifold.. other then that those stock V turbos are great to use.

awesome progress so far though man!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

look good bro, keep it up!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by ippskidder
Are you personally doing the P&P work? If your are thats sick, lol.
yes.

Pete, as i stated above, i'm using this mani mockup just to find out if it'll fit. it's pretty compact as it is, that tube is 2.5" OD, probably 2.375 ID. i will be revamping the mani before final.

Quick Reply: Project: Angry Panda (V1.0)