Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

A real 10" sub under my xB2 passenger seat. Stealthy!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:02 AM

Default A real 10" sub under my xB2 passenger seat. Stealthy!

Props to rockthebeef for the inspiration. Here's his thread on under seat bass.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=217080
But... I had to figure out how to fit a 10". Using Google sketchup I came up with this design using 1/2" MDF which nets slightly over 0.5 ft. Exactly what a Boston Acoustics G-series 10" sub wants. (G110, G210 or G510, I used the G210, the G510 is expensive and barely too deep.) I didn't end up putting that top plate on the box fyi. I know 1/2" MDF isn't preferable, but I needed the airspace, and I figured that with such small dimensions the MDF couldn't flex much.

Name:  jiO2v.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  25.6 KB

And here's the finished box coated in roll-on bed liner/herculiner. Carpeting all the corners on this box is for someone with much better box-building skills than I.

Name:  rKtIk.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  217.8 KB

Here is the sub under the seat.

The sub is powered by an Eclipse XA1000 under the drivers seat.
Hope this helps someone else looking for some bass that doesn't take up cargo space!
Oh, and BTW it sounds great!

Last edited by whiteymarvin; 08-19-2011 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Update broken picture links
Old 09-16-2008, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, very nice
Old 09-16-2008, 07:19 AM

Also here's the google sketchup file if you want to see all the dimensions and look at the box in 3d. Google sketchup is free from google, and it's easy. Once I had the general idea and dimensions I made this in 15 minutes so I could see how to cut all the pieces of MDF since this box isnt 6 sides. I listed the pieces below, took me about 2 hours on the tablesaw/miter saw, but I am no pro and was trying to get everything as close to perfect as possible.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...ab21966db9852f

The Pieces
Bottom - 9x15
Front Bottom Riser - 3.5x15
Back Bottom Riser - 1x15 (use 3/4 for strength)
Back Bottom - 4.5x15
Back - 4.5x15 - 2x2.5 top corners
Front Bottom - 5x12
Top - 18x12
Front - 2.5x11
Upper Sides - 2.5x18 x2
Side Tops - 1.5x13 x2 (use 3/4 if you want)
Lower Sides - 3.5x12 - 1.5x4 bottom corner x2

1/2" MDF Box

HxWxD (Internal)
2.5x11x17 = 467.5 - Top Section
3.5x14x7.75 = 379.75 - Bottom Front
2x14x4.25 = 119 - Bottom Rear

966/1728=0.559 cubic feet

Last edited by whiteymarvin; 08-19-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice work.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should come to the Seattle Meet this friday. I'd love to take a listen.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW!! good job man are u going 2 start selling them???
Old 09-16-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by bbscionxb
WOW!! good job man are u going 2 start selling them???
No, but I wouldn't mind one bit if someone else used my design and could figure out how to make a profit. Or you could take the pictures and info to your local installer they could build it! Probably cover it in carpet too!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by tCeeJay
-------------------------

I love Dick's and XXX
Dicks Drive In...? What is the Seattle Meet, and when and where? I'd be happy to show it to anyone interested.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whiteymarvin
Originally Posted by tCeeJay
-------------------------

I love Dick's and XXX
Dicks Drive In...? What is the Seattle Meet, and when and where? I'd be happy to show it to anyone interested.

Every friday in washington, we have meet and greets. Basically its just a group of Scion owners and other car enthusiasts that meet up, show off their rides, meet new people, network, get car help, etc.

Here is the link to the schedule: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=113744
Old 09-20-2008, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Great job! I'm sure there will be a bunch of people interested in this.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member

WhiteyMarvin,

Great job designing the box. I think I am going to try and build it also. I'll post pics when it is done. One question though: Is this box sealed or ported? The skp diagram seemed to show a large rectangular opening on one side. Thanks for the help!

~Mark
Old 10-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by mark
WhiteyMarvin,

Great job designing the box. I think I am going to try and build it also. I'll post pics when it is done. One question though: Is this box sealed or ported? The skp diagram seemed to show a large rectangular opening on one side. Thanks for the help!

~Mark
Oh, it's sealed, I left the one side open just so it would be easier to see inside the box and get an idea of how all the pieces are put together.
A good table saw and measuring twice are essential. Even after really careful measuring I still had some small gaps while assembling. Not because the measurements were wrong, it's just tough to cut perfect. I used plenty of liquid nails to assemble it though so it's airtight. Also, because the MDF is 1/2" you'll need to pre-drill your screw holes. Just driving a screw into the 1/2" material will cause it to split. If you use a pin gun / small nail gun, then you won't have to worry about any splitting.
Have fun! And if you do get the box built pictures would be appreciated!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

what other subs would this work with?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pretty niffty
Old 10-07-2008, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by phatchef
what other subs would this work with?
This enclosure has an internal sealed volume of approximately 0.55 cubic feet. The top has enough width for an 8" or 10" sub, and the box can handle a sub with a top mounting depth of less than 6.5".

Find a sub that will work with those limitations and the sky is the limit. I used a Boston G210 and it is loud and very tight. If a top panel of 3/4" MDF is used the extra depth would allow for a Boston G510 competition sub. That would sound incredible with a big enough amp.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:51 AM

sick dude. great inspiration!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:18 AM

Default Tell me where to send the royalty check...stealth box ROCKS!

Well...I have been lurking for some time now...planning my design for the ultimate under seat stealth box. I have to admit, your dimensions are spot on for my 2009 xB. I took it a bit further and dropped a G5 linked to a Polk 300 2 channel amp. WOW WOW WOW...did I say WOW!

I cannot believe the sound....tight, perfect...dare I say...too loud!

So I have the entire system rigged up and let me take a minute to tip my hat to Toyota/Scio. The just set this car up to make it so easy to play. Grommets in the bulk head with access for a 4AWG wire, easy to pop and remove panels...they really made this the perfect car for tinkering...I had the whole setup in the car in about 3 hours...and that included coffee breaks.

Anyway, I will post pics of the complete install when it is finalized...my initial testing has showed me I still have a LOT of work to do. Check out the box below:

So now on to the really important questions to our fearless leader...

1) How did you migrate the sensor? Did you simply invert it on the cross bar and position it above instead of below? Do we know what this sensor does?

2) Have you found that the woofer rubs against, under the seat (causing damage) and did you do work under the seat (to the chair itself) to clear the wire mesh and make more room?

3) I have to add a 1/8" surround (see all the pretty bondo work to smooth the eadges round) to fot the G5...BOY, that pig is HEAVY and FAT...so fat that the driver can only fit in the box one way as the basket has multiple arms that reach down around the magnet. The arms are shapped in a triad (like the points of a triangle) and if the driver is not inserted at an angle (see in the pics) the arms are too wide to fit into the little space at the deepest point of the box....

4) Did you have to pull the seat out for final install? I was able to slip the box in during my testing (no driver installed), but the foam surround on the G5 is too bog (I am nervous I will have to swap out to a smaller driver).

5) Did you remove or alter the air vent and or the carpet to make room? Every 1/8" counts on this install right?

6) Did you pad the underside of the seat, again to protect the driver from the metal guts of the chair?

7) anybody have any idea how to raise the chair be 1/4" to 1/2" (like washers or spacer sor something)? I am nervous to mess with anything YELLOW which means airbags etc.

So please spill all the beans on all the tricks you put in place to squeeze the final product into place. I am going to get all seated pretty, then pull it out and try to make a piano finish. I will post pics as I go, including any work I do on the seat itself.

GREAT DESIGN!!!! Everybody needs this setup!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to double post (and also I apologize for my terrible "fat finger" typing), but I am really looking for some answers to the questions I dropped last night.

I am sure someone has modified under the front seat so any guidance would be great.

I have attempted to search these forums, but I must be doing something wrong...I cannot seem to find how to filter searches based on the category so I end up with all sorts of stuff on the tc and everything else...I will be clicking NEXT forever!

Thanks and I am looking forward to being an active member of the forum providing lots of DIY and pictures as I go!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:47 AM

that sweet
Old 01-09-2009, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats awesome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A real 10" sub under my xB2 passenger seat. Stealthy!