Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:07 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default Epidemic Water Pump Problem!

Just wondering have any of you guys had to top off your coolant since you've purchased your xB? I'm going on two years with mine and every few months I have to add coolant to keep it at the full mark. Anyone else have to do this or do I have a problem with mine?

I see no visible leaks, never smoked, and it's never over heated (or even gone past the half mark on the guage).

UPDATE: Based on the responses in this thread its pretty clear that the issue is the water pump and its very common. Everyone check your water pump for pink residue around it and take your vehicle in for repair if so!

Last edited by AAG; 10-07-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

not on an xb but i have had to with my 06 tC. Since then though I haven't had to refill
Old 08-31-2009, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive never had to top mine off for the two years Ive owned it. I do notice though that on the roof of my hood there will be this pink powdery line of spray just above the pulley area... I wipe it off every time I wash my car. Not a big deal just not sure what it is but I imagine its some sort of pressure being relieved from the coolant system.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:22 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
I do notice though that on the roof of my hood there will be this pink powdery line of spray just above the pulley area....
Dude I have the same pink line on my hood liner...:?

I wonder if the radiator cap is bad, I may buy a new one to see if it stops the coolant disappearing problem. If that doesn't do it, its going to the dealership (which I'm not too fond of, dealers suck).
Old 09-01-2009, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I may be having the same issue. Every so often I'll check under the hood and see that my coolant reservoir is almost empty. Like you I've never over heated or smoke. I've heard the tC's water pumps have a tendancy to leak but I think I would notice that.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If its going low Id take it in but for me I dont have any level problems so Im not worried about it.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The coolant system is a closed system except for the jug. It fills when the eng gets hot and is sucked down again as the eng cools. If you see coolant trails on the engine, you have a leak somewhere. Now follow me here.... TAKE PICTURES!!!! Print them on an 81/2 x 11 piece of paper, take the pics to the service department and talk to them about it. Be sure that the pictures are included in the service request. WHY? Because service advisors are covered up and loose site of details. The tech will never hear anything you tell the advisor unless YOU document it. Proof is in the picture. Make them explain what the pink fluid is, where it came from and what test they used to pinpoint it's source. Trust me, I'm a service advisor for an independant shop and I do this all the time for my customers to help them fight the dealership mentality. IT WORKS! Good luck and let us know where it's comming from so we can keep an eye out for it.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm, I would really suggest testing your oil via blackstone or another lab. If there is any possibility that the head gasket is going bad, coolant will dilute the oil and it will be shown in the test results. If too much coolant enters the oil, the engine can seize up and go "boom!".

So if you don't see any puddles, it may be going into the oil. Never a good sign.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:46 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I doubt its a headgasket. The oil is a golden color and it never over heats or smokes. Im thinking its either a pin size hole in a hose or the cap is bad. Im trying out a new cap first if that doesnt fix it its going on my pops lift to see if I can find a leak. If at that point its still doing it Ill have no choice but to take it in.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I doubt it is a headgasket either, but you never know... Hopefully nothing too serious!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Ive never had to top mine off for the two years Ive owned it. I do notice though that on the roof of my hood there will be this pink powdery line of spray just above the pulley area... I wipe it off every time I wash my car. Not a big deal just not sure what it is but I imagine its some sort of pressure being relieved from the coolant system.
I just noticed this same issue in my 06 TC that only has 12,600 miles on it. Did you ever figure out what the problem was/is? If so what did you do about it. You don't seem awful concerned but anytime a car is leaking some kind of fluid it shouldn't be leaking it's a big deal to me.

thanks
Old 10-02-2009, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I havent found any leaks anywhere on my car... And I too have now noticed the level goes low over a few months time. Not sure what to think of it. I still get that pink line on the hood liner lol.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:00 PM

Default Ha!

Yeah I can't seem to locate the leak either but it seems to be dripping down onto the belt assembly which is what's obviously causing the pink line on the hood liner. What are you doing about it? Nothing? Have you had it looked at or are you just fine with adding coolant every few months?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A tech really needs to run a pressure test. Could be a Hot leak, or could be a Cold leak. Cold leaks are hard to catch and could require several trys to find it.

I hope it is something minor and I hope you will post the result when it is found.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Dude I have the same pink line on my hood liner...:?

I wonder if the radiator cap is bad, I may buy a new one to see if it stops the coolant disappearing problem. If that doesn't do it, its going to the dealership (which I'm not too fond of, dealers suck).
i got rid of thoes vents in the front bumper so whenever water or anything gets up in there it shoots up onto the bottom of the hood
Old 10-02-2009, 10:22 PM

i topped it off twice, i drive my car alot but its a commuter car and i love it.

I just bought the OEM ones online cuz i didnt wanna have the hassle of driving to a autozone which was like an hour away
Old 10-03-2009, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just noticed tonight that I too have the pink powedery line above the belts on my hood liner. Has anyone called the dealer / taken it in? I need an oil change soon so I will mention it to the dealer then. From my records I've had to refill the coolant tank in March and then again in July, so this must be a very slow leak.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:51 AM

Wow is this like an epidemic or something? Well of course my warranty was up May 31st but I've only got 12,600 miles on my Tc so I'm taking it to the dealer to get it looked at and then I'm going to raise hell to Toyota to pay for any repairs cause no way should anything be leaking after 12,600 miles, that's just f'ed up.

Also if anyone is ever having to add coolant that's a sign something i screwy, you should never ever have to add coolant ever....it's good for 100,000 miles. I have a Honda CR-V with 65k miles on it and I've never even opened the radiator or reserve tank and it's as full as it ever was. Adding coolant is just as bad as having to add oil it's a sure sign something is ____ed up. Sooner or later it's going to bite you/us in the ___.

Last edited by Omikron77; 10-03-2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I work at a shop and have had my car on the lift even recently and always inspect everything under the car when I can. I would assume its a "hot" occurence since the line under the hood seems to be a spray which means to me a release of high pressure or whatever. Has anyone else during the cold, had weird pulley noise until the car warms up though? Cause I just noticed it about 7 months ago and almost right after I installed the HOB crank pulley but definitely only in the cold. Sometimes it hear it slightly though after start up for few minutes. Might be unrelated but since its near the pulleys that I see they spray I thought maybe it was involved. Who knows? Im not too concerned at the moment but the fact that all of you are experiencing this as well makes me want to take it in...
Old 10-03-2009, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zsanz
i got rid of thoes vents in the front bumper so whenever water or anything gets up in there it shoots up onto the bottom of the hood
I also dont have my side intake vents in place but I dont think that would be a reason for this to happen.

Quick Reply: Epidemic Water Pump Problem!