Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Scion tC Engine Detail 40+ Pics!!!

Old 07-16-2010, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion tC Engine Detail 40+ Pics!!!

So it has been a long time since I have been on Scionlife. Got out of the scene for awhile but recently the urge has been coming back. With the urge, I also picked up a side hobby of auto deatailing. Just starting out so I haven't perfected everything yet but I will get better. I decided to start with the engine since that was the area that I had always neglected. I think it has been about 2 years since the engine even got touched for a quick wipe so there was tons of build up. Dirt and dust from the Arizona climate, oil, grease and grime build up was apparent all over the engine bay. I knew I would have some work ahead of me. So here is my first experience with engine detailing. Let me know what you guys think.

The dirty engine bay. Tons of build up over the last 2 years.

Close up shot of the engine.

Air intake box and battery. Dirt everywhere and pay close attention to the intake.

Fluid containers.

Up close shot of the grease and dirt.

Battery up close and personal.

Drive side shot.

Dirty sticker on battery.

The tools of the trade that I will be using.

Prepping the engine bay. I applied cling wrap to the alternator. This was the only item that I actually prevented moisture from entering as a precautionary measure. Others might do it to aftermarket intake filters and other items of the sort.

Engine bay shot again before the rinse.

Hosing down the hood, front bumper, headlights, front fenders and windshield so that when the degreaser and cleaner is applied, it will not adhere to dry paint and potentially damage the paint.

Hood re-opened for light pressure spray from the hose.

I recommend not using full pressure because of the wiring and electrical that is involved. Also, do not spray directly at the areas that were prepped for the engine detailing.

Time to apply the degreaser/cleaner. I also wore gloves too so that the chemicals do not get on my hands. Spray and get everything covered as best as you can. Try to avoid wiring and other electrical components.

Scrub areas that require in depth cleaning. Use small brushes, qtips if necessay to get into the crevices.

After the scrubbing, which shouldn't take too long depending on how dirty she is , using light pressure again, spray down the engine bay.

Its looking good already but it can still look even better.

Personal with the battery again.

Close up with the stock intake box.

Remember this shot from before, look how clean it is now.

Passenger side shot of the engine.

Angled engine shot.

Also time to remove the cling wrap so that the drying can occur.

Fuse box.

Freshly cleaned sticker.

For the drying time, I started by closing the hood and starting the engine. It ran for about 5 minutes to assist in the drying process.

Then I busted out the good old craftsman leaf blower. This will really sped up the drying process and its great for drying cars without leaving surface scratches.

Hood is re-opened and as you can see, its starting to dry up.

Leaf blower here to finish the job.

Pretty much all dried and cleaned. From the looks of the intake, the effects from the dirt and buildup of the last 2 years is apparent. Its discolored but I got something for that.

CD2 Engine detailer, like tire shine for the wheels, except for the engine bay. Apply liberally in all areas that you can reach. Again, avoid the alternator and areas of wiring.

This is what it looked like after 2 coats.

Like butter!

You can even see my reflection in the black plastic now.

Angled shot.

Driver side shot.

Battery after the application was applied.

Fuse box again.

The fluid containers never looked so good!

The words are now visible.

This is what it looked like 10 minutes after the application. You can also close the hood and start the engine to speed up the curing process.

After the engine was running, I also used a regular shop towel to wipe off the excess.

Check out the battery sticker now!

The finished product. Like the first day it rolled off the lot.

The intake's color is back the way it should look.

So clean! No more build up.

The money shot!

Enjoy folks. I will also be posting more threads around auto detailing when I get time too. Up next will probably be wheel well and wheel detailing. keep a look out and thanks for reading.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

At which point did you take off the saran wrap?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

right after the rinsing of the cleaner and before I started the engine to dry the water.