Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Replacing AC Blower motor, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Replacing AC Blower motor, advice?

The blower motor has been noisy for some time. Few days ago, it refused to come on. After pulling the filter and barely moving it, it started up again. I've done that a few times to keep it going until I had time to replace the motor.

I've read many threads on this, and some people claim it is only a 10 minute job. I've looked at the online manual, which lacks some details.

How much of this assembly do I need to remove to get to the motor? So little working space. Some have said it is only a few screws to get in there, but I have failed at this so far.

Anyone who has done this if you have any advice, I really could use it. Living in Florida during the summer with a failing AC blower motor is not fun, lol.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, I think I just found my problem. You work from underneath.

Blower Replacement

I did not realize that illustration was from underneath. I think I can manage that tomorrow.

Hope I don't have to hang my head upside down much. Ever since my neurosurgery, my head hurts at that angle.

Guess I could do a DIY on it with pictures and/or video. But my floorboard needs cleaning.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

a how to on this would be great.....

if your willing just do it..dont sweat the non perfect floorboards
Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Still working on the project. I found all the screws. Found the seams, but I cannot find the clamp or whatever it is holding the darn thing in place still. I am taking a break before I use a hammer to open it and duct tape to put it back in, lol. I have spent nearly an hour upside down in there trying to find how to release it after the screws are out. I AM MISSING SOMETHING!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgenem
Still working on the project. I found all the screws. Found the seams, but I cannot find the clamp or whatever it is holding the darn thing in place still. I am taking a break before I use a hammer to open it and duct tape to put it back in, lol. I have spent nearly an hour upside down in there trying to find how to release it after the screws are out. I AM MISSING SOMETHING!!!

usually 3 or 4 screws hold in the blower motor...though I've never changed one on the B
Old 07-10-2011, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is sad. I can handle plenty of jobs, but I am STILL STUCK ON THIS ONE. I don't want to pay the dealer hundreds to do it. People claim it is a 30 minute job. Some claim you have to remove the top dash (easy job, but did not help). I got the darn screws off, still cannot find the magic holding spring or clamp holding this thing in place. Time off with good weather has been limited. I cannot spend much time with my head under there due to previous neurosurgery.

Anybody please, how do you get that darn bottom cover piece open? I got the screws out, WHAT is keeping it in place? I can feel the seams, I just need to open it to finish this job. I've contemplated a hammer to open it and duct tape and glue to close it, lol.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Idea, taking small camcorder to "see" what I cannot see. Maybe the video will help me or somebody to get this thing open.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Idea, taking small camcorder to "see" what I cannot see. Maybe the video will help me or somebody to get this thing open.
SUCCESS!!! The video was blurry and I thought useless, but I noticed ONE hidden screw in the back. Removed that, and found the holding clamp on the right side of the housing. Now I got the whole thing open, access to the blower motor. Just got to cool off and wait out the weather to complete it.

Did not break anything, however that holding clamp on the side popped off somewhere in the side floor pillar.

But hey, I am no longer stuck and I can easily handle the rest.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

SUCCESS!!! The video was blurry and I thought useless, but I noticed ONE hidden screw in the back. Removed that, and found the holding clamp on the right side of the housing. Now I got the whole thing open, access to the blower motor. Just got to cool off and wait out the weather to complete it.

Did not break anything, however that holding clamp on the side popped off somewhere in the side floor pillar.

But hey, I am no longer stuck and I can easily handle the rest.
congrats on your success!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the details. Might help some other xB owner do the R&R in the future.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good job, my ac blower went out at around 25,000 and thankfully it was covered under warranty.
2006 RS4