Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Factory Fog Light Mod

Old 07-30-2011, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Factory Fog Light Mod

I have always liked riding with my parking lights on and my fog lights on with no headlights. I was disappointed to find out that I couldn't do that when I installed my factory fog light kit. It took some research and a little trial and error, but I got it to work. And all the lights and switches work as well as the indicators on the instrument cluster. Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Factory Fog Light Mod-022.jpg  
Old 07-30-2011, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like it, care to share what you did?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

word. Please do tell! I've wanted to do this for awhile. I love rolling Parking lights and fogs. all big bird'd out.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lildann
I have always liked riding with my parking lights on and my fog lights on with no headlights. I was disappointed to find out that I couldn't do that when I installed my factory fog light kit. It took some research and a little trial and error, but I got it to work. And all the lights and switches work as well as the indicators on the instrument cluster. Here is a pic.
Tell us Please
Old 07-30-2011, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok. First, the fog light relay is located behind the shifter in the center console. Kind of hard to get to. I think that Scion didn't want anyone to do this. I didn't take pics of taking the center console apart. The gear shift know spins off by turning it counter-clockwise. Then the gear shifter trim pops up. The lower tunnel has two screws at the top then pulls straight forward. With it removed it should look like this.
Attached Thumbnails Factory Fog Light Mod-015.jpg  
Old 07-30-2011, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Remove the 4 nuts that hold the shift plate and slide it forward off the studs. The relay is in a white plastic holder. The screw driver is pointing to the bracket. There is a 10 mm bolt holding it in. I used a quarter inch snap on flex head ratchet with a shallow socket to get to it. I also popped up the climate controls to get more room.
Attached Thumbnails Factory Fog Light Mod-016.jpg  
Old 07-30-2011, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The plastic relay holder is also on a tab. Push up from the bottom to get it off the tab and drop it out the bottom. It should look like this. Front and back views.
Attached Thumbnails Factory Fog Light Mod-017.jpg   Factory Fog Light Mod-018.jpg  
Old 07-30-2011, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The wire shown it this pic is the illumination wire from the hazard switch. I used this wire to power the relay only when the interior lights were on. This way when I turned the parking lights off, it would turn off the fog lights. If you wanted to turn on just the fog lights with no parking lights, you could give it a hot wire that provides power. You can use a switched power that is only hot with the ignition on or you could use a hot wire with power even when the ignition is off. I wouldn't recomment that because you may forget to turn them off and kill the battery.
Attached Thumbnails Factory Fog Light Mod-019.jpg  
Old 07-30-2011, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used a tap and a wire with two spate ends to connect the wires. This is a pic at the hazard switch.
Attached Thumbnails Factory Fog Light Mod-020.jpg  
Old 07-30-2011, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok here is the deal now. The fog light relay gets power from the headlights on the two red wires. These same wires also power the indicator in the dash that shows the headlights are on. I cut both red wires that went into the relay and butt connected them together. (On the left by my thumb.) This is necessary to have the headlights turn on the indicator in the instrument cluster. Make sure, when you cut the wires to the relay, that you leave enough wire going into the relay to connect them to the other wire from the hazard switch. (or whatever you are using as your power source). I butt connected them together and connected the wire from the hazard switch with another T-tap. (On the right). I did it this way because I already had it tapped from before I cut the wires. You could just use a butt connector to connect the leads at the relay directly to the wire tapped into the hazard switch. This is what it looked like when I was done. You can see in the pic that I ran the power wire, from the hazard switch to the relay, behind the console so that it didn't get pinched by a panel.
Attached Thumbnails Factory Fog Light Mod-021.jpg  
Old 07-30-2011, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try it and make sure that it works before you put it all back together. Then simply put everything back together in reverse order. Then you can ride with your fog lights on without your headlights on. Just make sure that you plug everything back in. I left the power outlet unplugged and had to take it back apart.
Attached Thumbnails Factory Fog Light Mod-photo.jpg  
Old 07-30-2011, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sticky! This is the king post of all fog light posts. Thanks for showing how it's done, I'll try this out.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitely doing this tonight after work.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks! Was really easy and took about 10 minutes.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet! It looks good.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks good!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

to maybe make it easier, i popped the stereo surround and took the heater controls out to make more room and took a normal socket to the bolt holding the white casing of the relay in. Might make it easier for someone else to do that as well.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agree with the Sticky call....Looks very cool.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very awesome! Did this in 10 mins. and it works as expected. thanks now it gives me more motivation to buy 3K yellow HIDs
Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lele73
Very awesome! Did this in 10 mins. and it works as expected. thanks now it gives me more motivation to buy 3K yellow HIDs
Nice!! I got my hid 8Ks yesterday. I'll prob put them in tomorrow. I'll post pics when done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Fog Light Mod