Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

xD Wink help?

Old 12-09-2011, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member

Lightbulb GUIDE TO WINK MIRRORS

I hope this isn't too long but I wanted to write a guide for anyone trying to install a wink mirror in their xD. Hopefully it will save people time and energy.

1. Purchase
I bought my 5 panel Wink Mirror at Pep Boys, along with two Wink Mirror Mounts. The mirror was $19.99 and the mounts were $5.99 each. They also have a 4 panel mirror but the 5 panel one fits nicely in the xD and gives you a panoramic view of everything behind you.

2. Removing the Stock Mirror.
The stock mirror comes off quite easily. Directly underneath where the mirror meets the glass, there is a small lever that you have to pry away from the glass and then the entire mirror assembly slides up and off the metal mount that is attached to the windshield. If you want to see what you are doing, there is a plastic cover surrounding the mount, that you can pry off with a small flat blade screwdriver. Be careful not the scratch or crack your windshield. Use a small towel or something between the blade of the screwdriver and the windshield.

3. Mounting the Wink Mirror
The mounts come with silicone adhesive that is next to useless. If you've read this thread so far, you have noticed people complaining about it. I followed the directions, waited 24 hours, and the mirror fell right off in less than a minute after installing it.

It is IMPORTANT to note that the glue DID stick to the windshield, it did NOT STICK to the plastic mounts. The solution was to sand the back of the plastic mounts with 60 grit sandpaper to roughen them and use professional silicone adhesive that you can find at Home Depot or Lowe's.

After sanding the mounts and using better adhesive, I waited 48 hours and installed the mirror. It did not come off and I even tried pulling on it because I didn't want to deal with it coming off later on while I was driving. I used quite a bit of force and could not pull the mirror off!

Why not use 2 part epoxy and some have mentioned? Personally, I think this is a bad idea and as you'll read below, I'm glad I didn't use epoxy. If you ever want to go back to your stock mirror, you will not be able to remove all of the epoxy without damaging your windshield. You'll either have to leave the wink mounts on the windshield or you'll at least have two spots of epoxy glue where the wink mounts used to be.

Here's the result of my successful install:

4. Why I Went BACK to the Stock Mirror.
I love the Wink Mirrors. I had one in my Mustang and wouldn't have used anything else. After I drove around for a couple of days in my xD, I decided to remove the wink and put the stock mirror back on. Why? I'm somewhat tall, 6'1". I have no problem fitting into my xD but my head is much closer to the roof than it was in my Mustang. When I'm sitting in my seat, looking straight ahead, here is what I see:

The mirror really obscured too much of my view looking forward. I couldn't see traffic lights if I was the first or second car. I tried slouching down in my seat a few inches and then it looked more like it did in my Mustang. I can see where this mirror would work fine for anyone 5'10" or less.

As a final note on the strength of my installation, I snapped BOTH mounts at the ball joint trying to remove them from the windshield! I had to slide a single edge razor blade under each mount on both sides, then I used some pliers and a twisting motion to remove them. Finally, I scraped the remaining silicone adhesive off the windshield with a single edge razor blade. I used pliers to put a slight bend in the blade so the corners wouldn't scratch the windshield. As I mentioned above, I'm glad I didn't use epoxy because my windshield is now back to the way it came from the factory.

I hope this helps anyone reading this thread =)
Old 12-09-2011, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rob215
The mirror really obscured too much of my view looking forward. I couldn't see traffic lights if I was the first or second car. I tried slouching down in my seat a few inches and then it looked more like it did in my Mustang. I can see where this mirror would work fine for anyone 5'10" or less.
i did notice this for the few minutes i had mine installed as well. has a lot to do with the way the car is designed and how high we sit up due to the tall seats. just doesnt work well for people taller than 6'0 if most of your height is at the torso and up

could definitly see this being problematic, in my accord however, where you practically sit on the floor, its perfect.