Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Speedo not working..

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Speedo not working..

I'm sorry if this clutters up the forum, but I have looked and I could not find anything specific to what I need.

A couple days ago, my speedometer stopped working. It just sits on zero. The other gauges in the dash work fine, however there is a problem. Immediately after starting the car, there is a slight clicking noise coming from the dash that lasts maybe 4-5 seconds.
The Speedo needle flickers to the clicks then when they stop, the needle stays motionless then my other gauges kick on and register the information, IE the tach shows idle RPM, fuel shows proper level, so on and so forth.

I'm not a tech by any means and I don't know a whole lot about gauges and all the electronics but I have a feeling the cluster needs to get replaced. It costs almost 100 just to have my shop look at it and I can't really afford that if I can get a little helping hand from here.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-28-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you start your car does all your needles move up and down if so that noise might be some thing holding your Speedo gear from moving that or the speed sensor to the transmission is bad?
Do you have any body else with tC willing to pull their cluster out to test theirs in yours if so do the first and if it works then just buy a used cluster on eBay or local junk yard.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-28-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aryana159
when you start your car doeas all your needles move up and down if so that noise might be some thing holding your speedo gear from moving that or the speed sensor to the transmision is bad? do you have any body else with tc willing to pull ther cluster ut to test theres in yours if so do tht first and if it works then just buy a used cluster on ebay or local junk yard.
My other needles sit still until the clicking stops. There is no way for me to check to see what sensors are good or bad; I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to electrical. I do know a guy that I might be able to swap with just to see. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a DIY on How to Remove the Cluster takes few mins I have never token mine out but a few friends have when they did there LED swap should be easy though.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-28-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Speedo wouldn't work when I shredded my ABS lines... Just FYI.

________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-28-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have a bad wheel speed sensor, or a problem with the skid control ECU (also creates vss output for the ecu and the speedo), you should also get an abs warning light lit. A easy test is to go out and drive the car and try to set the cruise control. If the cruise control still works, its your cluster, if the cruise control doesnt set, its a sensor issue. FWIW, our car doesnt have a transmission speed sensor, only wheel speed sensors which are used for abs and also averaged to create the vss/output to the speedo. From what your saying though, I bet its a cluster issue. Try the cruise test though first before buying a cluster. If you have to replace it, theyre cheap from junkyard and very easy to replace.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
If you have a bad wheel speed sensor, or a problem with the skid control ECU (also creates vss output for the ecu and the speedo), you should also get an abs warning light lit. A easy test is to go out and drive the car and try to set the cruise control. If the cruise control still works, its your cluster, if the cruise control doesnt set, its a sensor issue. FWIW, our car doesnt have a transmission speed sensor, only wheel speed sensors which are used for abs and also averaged to create the vss/output to the speedo. From what your saying though, I bet its a cluster issue. Try the cruise test though first before buying a cluster. If you have to replace it, theyre cheap from junkyard and very easy to replace.
It sounds like you hit it spot on then. My cruise works, that's the only way I feel safe driving to work. The abs light isn't on though, my CEL has been on but that's something entirely different. Thanks for your help!!
Old 12-09-2011, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CK028
It sounds like you hit it spot on then. My cruise works, that's the only way I feel safe driving to work. The abs light isn't on though, my CEL has been on but that's something entirely different. Thanks for your help!!
Definitely the cluster. You can find them all over it, wether it be the junkyard or ebay. I did a quick search on ebay and turned up several around $50-75.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a crack in the plastic cover over the abs pump that would allow water in. I would get the tpms light and abs light on and my speedo would not work.

I replaced the pump and its is fine. I dont recall if cruze worked or not. nice part is 55 in 5th is 2500rpms and 65 is 3k with 45 being 2k... made for easy speedoless driving.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member

Hello, sorry if this is a necro bump, but my 2005 tC speedometer just stopped working on me.
After reading this thread mine doesn't click like the OP guys did but, everything else works including the cruise control.
I was hoping it might just be a fuse but seems like it isn't going to be that.

________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-28-2019 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 07-28-2019, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo5upra
I had a crack in the plastic cover over the ABS pump that would allow water in. I would get the TPMS light and ABS light on and my Speedo would not work.

I replaced the pump and its is fine. I don't recall if cruise worked or not. nice part is 55 in 5th is 2500rpms and 65 is 3k with 45 being 2k... made for easy speedoless driving.
I have the same problem with my ABS pump. I have a crack on the module plastic cover and water got in it. How did you replace the ABS?
Did you bleed the brakes after replacement?
Did you need to reprogram the module?

Thank you

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-28-2019 at 11:22 PM.