Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Factory NAV bypass

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs up Factory NAV bypass

was trolling on scionlife during lunch decided to look at the IQ secion and found this, dont remeber seeing this in the TC2 area so decided to post it up

thanks to surfcitylocal

Originally Posted by surfcitylocal
You've probably noticed that you can't operate your phone (other than speed dial) or your iPod (other than trac change) with your iQ in motion. This bothered me quite a bit.

There are units on the market that allow the bypass of this "security" feature but as of yet there are none specific for the iQ. I found a way to bypass this feature and allow for full use of the phone and iPod controls while driving.

You will need some wire and a switch to achieve this modification. As always I provide this information for you to use at your own risk.

Start by removing the front vent unit from the dash. Grab at the edges with your fingers and pull towards you. There are no screws holding the unit.

Remove the plastic connectors from the back of the vent unit and place the unit in a safe location.

Next remove the audio unit housing by gripping it with your fingers and pulling towards you. There are no screws holding the unit.

For this modification it is not required to remove the wiring to the display panel. Place the audio housing unit on a cloth to prevent damage to the dash. Locate the four 10mm bolts and remove them.

Lift out the navigation unit and place on a cloth to prevent damage to the dash. The rear connections of the navigation unit will be visible.

You are looking for the white 20 pin connector (shown here with the yellow pointer) remove this connector from the rear of the navigation unit.

The light blue wire is the one we are concerned with. Locate it and cut it, leaving yourself enough slack to be able to splice in extensions.

Using crimp connectors add a length of wire to each side of the cut blue wire. The length of wire used will depend on your switch location. (I have not decided where to mount my switch so it is laying between the seats)

Connect the switch to the two leads of wire and re-install the dash and audio units.

With the switch in the closed position the navigation will work as designed, no phone or iPod controls available. When the switch is in the open position the phone and iPod controls will be available.

NOTE: When the switch is in the open position the navigation map will not be available. The driving directions will not function and your location on the map will not change. To use the map and GPS functions the switch must be moved to the open position again.

This switch will allow you to access the phone and iPod controls and when finished, revert back to the map functions. I'm sure someone will produce an electronic bypass in the near future but for now this provides a cheap and easy solution.

Use your phone and iPod while driving at your own risk! Enjoy.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This looks very similar to the video bypass hack on Pioneer (and other) aftermarket decks that prevent you from watching videos if the handbrake is not applied.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:01 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a 2011 Scion tC on 6-30-2012, and it came with an SNS-200.

I've been scouring the interwebz looking for information on hacking it so I can use the Nav functions/DVD player while driving. Suffice it to say, there's not a whole lot out there, so thank you for this guide!

Recently I managed to come across a PDF for the install of an SNS-200, and it has (very rudimentary) wire labels, for those who want/need them.

Be warned, I have NOT yet attempted this hack on my own yet, but I likely will soon. I just wanted to post this link so that anyone who's looking for it can find it. I'll add a few adwords at the bottom of this post to aid in Google searches.

Link to PDF:
http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT611-21111inst.pdf

To help people find this post:
Scion, xD, tC, 2011, SNS200, SNS-200, hack, Nav, GPS, speedo, navhack, DVD, parking brake, ground, wire, cut, switch. I hope that helps!
Old 01-31-2014, 02:49 AM

I tried this tonight on my SNS200 and there is no blue wire on that connector on mine and that install manual from TRDsparks is useless for this. I read somewhere that its a purple wire, Any ideas. Mine was just installed in my 2013 Xb. I do not want to start chopping wires without being 100%.-Thanks
Old 02-01-2014, 12:48 AM

Default SNS Navigation bypass

Just modified my SNS200 on a 2013 Scion Xb with the posted procedure with great pictures all worked except my speed sensor wire was purple(violet) and not blue. Beware of this for they must be more speed sensor cable colors. All works as advertised just need to find a perfect home for the switch.