Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Daily driver tC turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Daily driver tC turbo

How's it going folks? Bout time I boosted my tC so I figured I'd try and document it as much as possible.

I have a 2007 Black cherry pearl tC. I got this car in 2008 from the original owner who put 46k mi on her. I have drove the crap out of this car and I love her to death!In the years I have owned her I've been on 12+ hr road trips, a few times on my own, and have grown to know every little characteristic of how she rides.

Just a few months ago my area flooded and the cold air intake decided it was time my engine died. At 110k the original motor was replaced with another 2AZ with 77k miles and a clean bill of health. Along with a fresh clutch in her, I decided it was time to give her what she deserves... Some boost!

I am taking her to the shop in a day or two for the install and fab work. I'll upload some part pics and a picture of her ASAP! Depending on how things go, I hope to have a stock and turbo dyno, so I can see what percentage of HP my specific application gains.

I'll report back with more in for when I can get to a keyboard
Old 08-22-2013, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here are some pictures of parts and the original motor RIP. I also have a Walbro 255 pump not pictured. I am still debating whether or not I really need to install it just yet. Regardless, I got it because ill need it eventually. I also had to order new bolts for the fuel pump door... they are all rusted round . I have been dealing with a lot of rust lately. Like the front engine mount bolt is fused to the bushing sleeve from rust and heat. Had to get a new bolt for that too. The Raceland Catback is really nice for 250 BTW!

Parts include:
-Ptuning Spec SS turbo kit
-Raceland Catback
-Autometer Mechanical Boost Gauge
-Turbosmart Mechanical Boost Controller
-DocIso Cubby Gauge Pod
-NGK Spark Plugs
-Exedy OEM Replacement Clutch
-Energy Suspension Motor Mount Bushings

Album is located HERE

Last edited by burgandybomber; 08-24-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got the Vibrant Vacuum manifold from UPS today and I am packing her up full of parts and driving down to Force Engineering in Plainwell, MI. STOKED!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dropped her off Sunday night and they are starting to go over the parts and get everything ready to work. They have a few projects ahead of me so I should have her back sometime next week.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Rolling now?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would def do your fuel pump if you have...rather be safe then sorry
Old 09-04-2013, 01:14 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by burgandybomber
Here are some pictures of parts and the original motor RIP. I also have a Walbro 255 pump not pictured. I am still debating whether or not I really need to install it just yet. [/COLOR]
Just my 2 cents, if you've got the fuel pump then install it. You don't want to find out that you should have had it when you injectors run out of fuel at 5k rmps. Besides, the install really isn't that bad. There's an access panel under the rear seat so you don't even need to drop the tank. Good luck!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So the shop hasent even touched my car yet. They are a very small shop with maybe 6 employees and they are currently finishing up their drag season at DSM shootout so that has kind of taken priority for them. They were supposed to get one guy on dis assembly today but he called in sick...

I am waiting for new bolts for the lid on that fuel pump panel. All mine are rusted round! AGH! Ive gotta cut a notch in them with a dremel to back them out. Once I get those suckers out and replaced I will swap pumps. I got halfway there when I realized the bolts were shot and I didnt want to screw with them without new bolts.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:58 AM
SL Member

Don't get too frustrated man, it's a complicated process. The shop that did mine had my car for over two weeks. It just takes time, but it's all worth it
Old 09-05-2013, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My car just spent 2.5 weeks at the shop getting a new fender and getting a complete new paint job done. It sucks, but like alentz said, its worth it.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by alentz627
Don't get too frustrated man, it's a complicated process. The shop that did mine had my car for over two weeks. It just takes time, but it's all worth it
Thanks man. Its hard to be patient when I have to drive my girlfriends fusion. I was much less fortunate when my engine had to be replaced and I had to bum rides for almost a month. That REALLY suck. On the bright side I think I can afford an afr gauge by the time I get her back.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

4:30pm and the shop says they started about an hour ago and have the old manifold off and turbo manifold bolted up with the turbo. They close at 5 so I can't imagine much more getting done. Hope I get my baby back sometime next week
Old 09-07-2013, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

be patient man.. and like mentioned before - might as well have that fuel pump installed while they're at it. don't wanna starve that newly boosted motor. I also like how you stashed all your parts in your pantry hiding it from the gf?

keep us posted!
Old 09-07-2013, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will the fuel pump mess with my AFRs? Will it require a retune if I install it or is it just like assurance that you have a new fuel pump?
I live in an apartment with VERY little space lol. She didnt want it all over the living room so this is the only free space we have We are planning on renting a house with a garage and a basement once this lease is up. Then I can wrench again! It hurts paying someone for something I know I could install but just dont have the room or tools to install parts.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it'll keep fuel coming at a higher rate and more consistently for when your motor is opened up singing those high notes. eliminates the risk of you running lean, etc. makes sense to have it tuned with all the pieces there, no? I feel ya there about the cramped living situations.. trust me can't wait to ****** a larger place where I don't have to work out of a carport! Going to be boosting pretty soon, sucks the descendant guys aren't in the tC game anymore cause they're in my area
Old 09-08-2013, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sobaytC
it'll keep fuel coming at a higher rate and more consistently for when your motor is opened up singing those high notes. eliminates the risk of you running lean, etc. makes sense to have it tuned with all the pieces there, no? I feel ya there about the cramped living situations.. trust me can't wait to ****** a larger place where I don't have to work out of a carport! Going to be boosting pretty soon, sucks the descendant guys aren't in the tC game anymore cause they're in my area
Currently, I have the fuel pump. I was going to install it myself to avoid the 100 dollars they would charge to install it. Id like to put that money towards a nice wide band gauge As long as it doesn't CHANGE my fuel pressure and/or AFR's after it is tuned, that is the plan. Otherwise I will have to shell out and wait another week or two for a wide band. I plan on doing the gauge myself. I think my weld shop instructor is going to let me make a waste gate dump pipe and put a bung into the down pipe for the wide band.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burgandybomber
Will the fuel pump mess with my AFRs? Will it require a retune if I install it or is it just like assurance that you have a new fuel pump?
I live in an apartment with VERY little space lol. She didnt want it all over the living room so this is the only free space we have We are planning on renting a house with a garage and a basement once this lease is up. Then I can wrench again! It hurts paying someone for something I know I could install but just dont have the room or tools to install parts.

fuel pump will not mess with the tune....car might run better with the pump...
Old 09-09-2013, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by my06tc
fuel pump will not mess with the tune....car might run better with the pump...
Thanks man. I figured as much but thought id ask.

UPDATE
The seller of this kit incorrectly described this item as "fully functional" for my car. Turns out the kit is an automatic kit fabricated to work with a battery relocation. Needless to say, not cool... Contacted Ptuning and they are getting on an estimate for the cold side piping. My shop quoted me about 300 to fabricate it to fit. We will see what Ptuning can do after shipping. If it is more than 350~400 I might just have the shop do it. The downside to that is I wont have fresh pipe but whatever. When I get a chance I can clean it up and coat it. I am not worried about how it looks under the hood.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ptuning decided that they didnt want to call me back with a price so I had my shop go ahead with fabbing the existing pipe to fit. Not sure if they forgot or what... where you at Ptuning?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kit looks like it is seeing some progress.
Attached Thumbnails Daily driver tC turbo-1185997_1414568458767144_993010977_n.jpg  

Quick Reply: Daily driver tC turbo