Notices

resurface rotors on first brake pad replacement

Old 11-02-2016, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member

Question resurface rotors on first brake pad replacement

I have a 2011 TC with 30,000 miles on it. I just took it in for new front brake pads ( first time) and they re-surfaced the rotors also. Was re-surfacing the rotors necessary? Now there is a strange clicking noise when I apply the brakes, and the brake pedal does not feel like it should with new pads installed. Any idea whats happening?
Old 12-28-2016, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i personally just replace the rotors when i change the brake pads. its almost the same price for rotors as it is for someone to resurface them.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:06 AM

You should always resurface the rotors when you install new pads in order to have a good surface for the pads to bed in and mate. The clicking sounds could be from misaligned brake hardware or improper installation. Take it back in.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:14 PM

with ceramic brake pads you always want to replace the rotors along with the pads, resurfacing the rotors is what shady shops and dealerships do
Old 12-29-2016, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Isn't resurfacing rotors much less expensive than purchasing new ones?

And shouldn't you be able resurface them 2-3 times before needing to get new rotors?
Old 12-31-2016, 03:28 AM

A front rotor through NAPA is ~$50, resurfacing one rotor is 1/2-1 hr figure at $100 an hour it is almost the same price but that new rotor comes with a warranty resurfaced doesn't.

Back when cars were equipped with semi-metallic brake pads you could get away with resurfacing rotors once and if your REALLY gentle on brakes 2-3 times. Today all but the cheapest cars have ceramic brakes pads which build up more heat than the old S-M pads and will warps rotors if they're too thin.

Brake Rotor Discard Thickness .98 in.
Brake Rotor Thickness New 1.1 in.
.12" isn't a lot to work with considering rotors are a wear item
Old 01-03-2017, 02:52 AM

Didn't know automotive industry standard is considered shaddy. lol.
I would recommend resurfacing an OEM rotor over installing a China made rotor that's for sure. And I have a shop here in town that resurfaces rotors for $15, so it's cost effective...and most China made rotors are in the $18-25 price range. And yes, they do measure the rotor to verify it's within specifications.
But as stated above pad material plays a roll on how hot the rotors get. I had a set of rotors warp on me (which I believe were OEM) after I switched to the TRD pads after I resurfaced them. I switched to Slotted/drilled rotors and haven't had any problems. (this is on a 2009 xB)
Old 01-20-2017, 03:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why are you replacing brakes at 30k? Surely they can't be worn away already. Mine lasted 85k? and had meat left, just replaced them due to using a little bit of brake fluid.

Search this Thread