Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Sulfur smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sulfur smell

Last couple of days we use the 2008 xB and parked it in the garage, there has been a sulfur smell emanating from the car. Car is parked, engine not running and it may happen a little while after closing the garage door. Only use Shell regular gasoline. Any ideas? Is the cat converter doing something like burning off some contaminants? The smell may not be sulfur but it is pretty stinky. Car has about 50,000 miles on it, uses synthetic oil and doesn't seem to burn much at all (2008 model).
Old 01-13-2017, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unfortunately that does sound like a catalytic converter problem but you don't have anywhere near the mileage for it to have problems. I would recommend taking it to a shop and have them run the car and monitor the intake and exhaust temps for the cat. Or if you have an Android based phone, or tablet, download the Torque app and get an OBDII to Bluetooth adapter and you can do it yourself. It can also be done with a Scan Gauge tool.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default No problem

Apparently no problem. No codes. Also, we have a BMW with 13,500 miles on it and it does the same thing every now and then. Taking it back to dealer in early April and will ask them what causes it to occur. I guess, we notice because the both the Scion xB and BMW are in a insulated garage. Neither does it all the time but occasionally.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have a natural gas line for the house in the garage? Reason i ask is because I really doubt both cars would have the same smell issue, but natural gas has an additive in it that smells like sulfur to make it easier to detect leaks. If you have a gas water heater in the garage please check the lines feeding it to make sure you do not have a pin hole leak or connection.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We actually have a propane bottle (tank) in the garage. Will check that . It does smell like a little propane. Will check.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last time I smelt a rotten egg gas-type of smell in my garage, it ended up being a dead mouse.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It turns out it is the BMW. It can happen within hours or even days of coming home. I have found some articles online that says the cat is doing the right thing. Sounds like something combines with moisture and forms the rotten egg smell. By the way, also checked the batteries and both are gel type which emit nothing. Taking the BMW in for an oil change in early April and this is on the list of things to ask about. By the way, the BMW has only 14,000 miles on it.