Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Looking at a 2006 tC....Hints?

Old 01-17-2017, 10:23 PM

Default Looking at a 2006 tC....Hints?

I'm going to go look at a 2006 tC 5-speed with 130k miles. I has some ugly aftermarket hood, bumper, and side skirts...but sounds mechanically solid.

I'm in a rust free area, so that's not an issue.

Are there any other tC specific issues I should keep an eye out for when looking at this vehicle? Outside of basic issues like suspension, dash lights, etc etc.

Also, what's a normal mileage range for these vehicles? I see they have timing chains vs a belt.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-2017, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a well known oil consumption issue, but that affects the 2007 and up which had a different piston design. For an 05-06, they are pretty solid. Mine currently has 124k miles and I am the original owner. Valve cover gaskets are probably leaking, so replace those. Keep and eye on the oil level to make sure you aren't burning much. The only time I added oil was back when I was doing 10k mile intervals, at which point I added maybe half a quart. I did stick to synthetic almost exclusively, so that could be a factor in my case.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:05 PM

Default agreed

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
There is a well known oil consumption issue, but that affects the 2007 and up which had a different piston design. For an 05-06, they are pretty solid. Mine currently has 124k miles and I am the original owner. Valve cover gaskets are probably leaking, so replace those. Keep and eye on the oil level to make sure you aren't burning much. The only time I added oil was back when I was doing 10k mile intervals, at which point I added maybe half a quart. I did stick to synthetic almost exclusively, so that could be a factor in my case.
^ Agreed use that synthetic. My TC has over 210K and still going strong.

Search this Thread