Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Best Aftermarket ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:23 PM
SL Member

Default Best Aftermarket ECU?

I'm running a Split Second AF Box with Apexi AVCR and I have the idle issue where it idles low and will die every now and then. I think it has to do with the bigger injectors and no one can tune those with a piggyback ECU. So what would be the best route to take, I do not have emissions.

I saw this one with a plug and play harness:
2005 Scion tC AEM EMS-4 Universal Standalone System

Not sure if it's what I need.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can use the stock ECU but have it re-tuned by Orange Virus Tuning. This way you keep all of the functionality of the stock ECU but have it re-worked for your mods. They make a boosted tC tune, https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/scion
Old 02-27-2017, 06:35 PM
SL Member

Does this mean I don't need my piggyback? Cause I feel like it would have been done this way when it was originally built, I feel he went the piggyback for some reason. It's a 2005 Scion TC running 14.5 PSI and it's a built motor with secondary injectors. This car Dyno'd 400 before they turned it down to about 350.

Mod list:
Turbonetics GTK550 Turbo running off stock spring Turbonetics RG45 Wastegate (1 bar)
Turbonetics Godzilla BOV
Custom Intake Manifold
Custom Stainless Exhaust Manifold
Custom Baffled Oilpan
Custom 3 inch tig welded exhaust with Magnaflow muffler
Apexi AVCR
Split Second AF Box
Willwood Big Break Kit
Driveshaft Shop Axels
All lines including oil and vacuum Stainless Braided
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
28lb Secondary Injectors
Tein Coilovers

Eagle Rods (This is what the guy said was put in, but I dont think they make Eagle Rods for this car, engine build sheet doesn't show)
Race Rod Bearings
CP 9:1 Pistons
Upgraded Retainers
ARP Head Studs.

Last edited by IFeelYourPain; 02-27-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These Orange Virus ECU flashes are a new development. They weren't around for Scions until about last year, and piggybacks or standalones were the only other options. I'm running an AEM FIC, which is just ok for the power levels I'm running. If you're running that much, you really need a better tuning option than a piggyback. I remember a post by Dezod from a while back, and they don't recommend using piggybacks if pushing beyond 350whp or so. Very difficult to get it to run smooth and consistent.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, like bbsciontc said, Orange Virus is newer. They are the first company to actually crack the coding for this type of Toyota ECU. I also have an AEM FI/C that i was going to use but once this came around I've dropped that idea in favor of doing it this way. Your build list is very similar to what I'm doing, except I'm going to be running an Eaton supercharger, and in talking to them they recommended the custom supercharger tune with remote re-tune ability to be able to easily re-turn without having to access anything more than the OBD-II port. Drop them an e-mail and see what they suggest.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
These Orange Virus ECU flashes are a new development. They weren't around for Scions until about last year, and piggybacks or standalones were the only other options. I'm running an AEM FIC, which is just ok for the power levels I'm running. If you're running that much, you really need a better tuning option than a piggyback. I remember a post by Dezod from a while back, and they don't recommend using piggybacks if pushing beyond 350whp or so. Very difficult to get it to run smooth and consistent.
It's currently on a Split Second PSC1 Programmable Signal Calibrator, Split Second FTC1 Fuel/Timing Calibrator, and a Split Second VC2 Voltage Clamp piggy back, that may have been why he reduced the tune 30% because dyno was 410, but now it's 300. It runs fine, just the idle issue is the only problem and some white smoke on startup and when in boost, probably running lean, which he had it tuned 3 times. Better to run lean than rich, I dunno if Orange Virus tune will fix that, but I did email him a few days ago and still haven't heard back.

Originally Posted by Greg S
Yep, like bbsciontc said, Orange Virus is newer. They are the first company to actually crack the coding for this type of Toyota ECU. I also have an AEM FI/C that i was going to use but once this came around I've dropped that idea in favor of doing it this way. Your build list is very similar to what I'm doing, except I'm going to be running an Eaton supercharger, and in talking to them they recommended the custom supercharger tune with remote re-tune ability to be able to easily re-turn without having to access anything more than the OBD-II port. Drop them an e-mail and see what they suggest.
I was a raising an eyebrow because I thought the ECU was pretty locked down by Toyota. Does he have any reviews, videos, or maybe a thread?
Old 03-06-2017, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There was a guy that posted his results on a tune for his Matrix XRS, which uses the same 2AZFE, and had impressive naturally aspirated gains. You would probably be the first turbo Scion tC application for them though. Try messaging them through Facebook. They are very active in the Mazda community.

My only thought is that you may max out the stock MAF with high boost. This wasn't an issue with the FIC since everyone just clamps the voltage and tunes by the on-board MAP sensor. I suppose a larger diameter MAF housing could bring the signal back down, but there would be some decent tuning work needed to compensate for that.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:26 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
There was a guy that posted his results on a tune for his Matrix XRS, which uses the same 2AZFE, and had impressive naturally aspirated gains. You would probably be the first turbo Scion tC application for them though. Try messaging them through Facebook. They are very active in the Mazda community.

My only thought is that you may max out the stock MAF with high boost. This wasn't an issue with the FIC since everyone just clamps the voltage and tunes by the on-board MAP sensor. I suppose a larger diameter MAF housing could bring the signal back down, but there would be some decent tuning work needed to compensate for that.
They said their handhelds can't at this time and that they only support 07 and up. I'm not sure what to do. I just need to raise the idle, but the FIC can't do this. If only it wasn't an electronic throttle body. =[

The quotes on an aftermarket ecu was like $2000 and I don't know what all will work or won't work.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn, I didn't catch that you had an 05 model. What are your A/F ratios running at when it stalls? Too much air or fuel?
Old 03-07-2017, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Handhelds won't work with 05-06, but they can still tune it using the existing mail in service. I inquired about that a week ago regarding my 06. Still on my to do list after I sort out some issues. Would love to see how the turbo runs on a tuned ECU without a finicky FIC.