Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

07 tC burning oil..

Old 03-03-2017, 10:20 PM

Default 07 tC burning oil..

My 2007 tC has 168,000 miles on it and it has always been good to me. In the last 3 years it has been burning a lot of oil. No leaks to be found. I have just been adding oil roughly every 2 weeks.
Additionally it has been rough at idling - shakes and rattles loudly and annoyingly.
When Scion issued the excessive oil recall, I brought it to the dealer and got an evasive run around about the costs that would be my responsibility and I determined that I'd be better off not getting into it.
My mechanic also advised me not to get involved as there are often some very expensive hidden costs.

Is my car about to die?

_________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-08-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unfortunately, it may be on its way out. Best you can do is to just stay on top of adding oil. I'd try maybe switching to a high mileage synthetic, and closely monitoring the consumption to see if anything changes. My guess is that fixing your engine will probably be more costly than replacing the engine altogether. The trick will be finding a replacement that doesn't have the oil consumption issue as well.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can also try reaching out to Toyota corporate and see if they will honor the warranty work which technically expired late last year. I recall someone mentioning that it may have been extended again though.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It needs to be extended. Toyota is being cheap about this situation and trying to keep it on the down low by not calling a recall. I got my car sent in twice and the local dealership says I'm good and not burning enough. It makes me really uncomfortable to release about a 1 and 1/2 qts of old oil when I change it every 4500-5000 miles on full synthetic mobil 1 or pennzoil platinum for my 2007 tC. When I first got the car brand new it never burned this much oil.

All I do is daily drive my car and I'm not a speed demon either. Granted I do drive a lot locally and the stop and go can lead to oil burn off but compared to my wifes 07 accord, holy sh*t even her car barely burns anything under the same conditions. Hell, I don't even have 100K miles on my car yet and I got it new back in DEC 2006.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:06 PM

I have an 08 and it's doing the same. The idle isn't super rough but you can definitely feel it. Did the engine get louder too? Or is that just something I'm paranoid about?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by CompactCamry
I have an 08 and it's doing the same. The idle isn't super rough but you can definitely feel it. Did the engine get louder too? Or is that just something I'm paranoid about?
I have an 08 as well and oil consumption is normal for a TC. Around 2-3 quarts every 5k miles. There is a recall on this I believe. I drive mine pretty hard sometimes and take it to autocross. I check my oil every 2-3 gas fills just to top it off. Sometimes the AC/ windshield defroster will make your car rough. Make sure those are off and check it again.

If you have high mileage, try checking your valves? idk
Old 03-29-2017, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by sieumai
I have an 08 as well and oil consumption is normal for a TC. Around 2-3 quarts every 5k miles. There is a recall on this I believe. I drive mine pretty hard sometimes and take it to autocross. I check my oil every 2-3 gas fills just to top it off. Sometimes the AC/ windshield defroster will make your car rough. Make sure those are off and check it again.

If you have high mileage, try checking your valves? idk
The thing is that the dealership says my car past twice on both oil consumption tests. My car should not be burning that much oil period. Since everyone is practically outside of the "extended warranty" window now because it's for all the 2AZ-FE motors/years listed in the TSB, if the car did end up burning oil and caused damage to the motor then Toyota will not cover it because it is outside of the last final TSB date. See what they did there? Also some people reported that their dealership intentionally over-filled their cars with oil to possibly past the oil consumption tests.

There is a video on youtube about it but the guy never did a follow up. Even to those who did get their engines repaired, some are saying it runs even worse than it did before. It's a double edge sword in this circumstance. For me, it makes me not even want to purchase another Toyota vehicle in the future.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

168k aint ____ if its maintained right. 205k on my 2006, still stomps hard. powertrain is 100% stock.

Replace your PCV valve. Fixed my oil consumption issues. They are notorious for getting stuck on the TC. Been using Mobil 1 synthetic since 0 miles.

This guy explains @ 2:22

Last edited by miamiBASS; 04-26-2017 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Don't know if you are aware, but the 07s and up have a design flaw with the pistons, specifically the oil drain holes. They get gummed up and start burning oil. A new PCV valve will do nothing for this, but is a good maintenance tip in general. FWIW, I changed my PCV on my 06 at 125k miles. The old one still worked perfect, with almost no buildup. I attribute that entirely to the use of synthetic oils like Penzoil Platinum and Mobile 1. That is why I theorize that 07s and up which used synthetics since they were new may delay the onset of oil consumption. Once it starts though, changing oil isn't going to help much.

Search this Thread