Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Creaking noise when braking on 08 tC

Old 03-23-2017, 07:05 PM

Default Creaking noise when braking on 08 tC

If I'm posting this thread on wrong forum please let me know.

About a month ago I recently purchased a 2008 tC and I've loved it since. It's honestly the perfect car for me. I've upgraded a couple thing and also fixed some other things due to previous owner neglect.

When driving it home from school, I started noticing the passenger front wheel would squeak when applying the breaks at medium to slow. At first I thought it was my imagination but now it's getting annoying. Funny enough, tomorow I was going to take it to school and install new pads and rotors so I'm gonna see what the problem can be.

My gut tells me it'll be the guide pins or something that needs lubrication. Regardless I will check bushings and suspension components.

Now for the porpouse of this thread: have any of you guys experience CREAKING on breaks? What was the solution or what do you thinking will be the solution?

TL;DR: breaks creak when applied at slow to medium speeds. What do?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-04-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2017, 09:00 PM

The creaking noise is gone now. It was coming from the guide pin. It was seized in there and would not slide. It was very difficult to get off. I had to pry it off. Got a new one and lubricated everything. The noise is gone now.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good call. Slide pins are often neglected by many garages. I just changed the front brakes in my wife's 2008 Rav4. The guide pins were almost dry, and what was left was very gummy. She had uneven pad wear; the inner pads were down to the backing plate, while the outer had over 1/8" left. I cleaned them off and lubricated them. It moves much better now, and should help greatly with the life of the new pads.

It's always a good idea to check the pins out, especially on a car that's more than 4 years old. Glad that it worked out for you.

Search this Thread