Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

"Best Buy" Stereo Install, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default "Best Buy" Stereo Install, Anyone?

As stated, has any one had a stereo installed at Best Buy? Did they do a good job?
Any other suggestions for where to buy and install an Alpine CDA-9847 and the KCA-420 iPod adapter in my two cars in the Bucks/Montgomery Co. PA area?
Thanks.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy from Ebay or Crutchfield and install it yourself?
Old 10-16-2005, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah (tho it wasn't a scion). A couple of weeks ago I was about to take a little road trip. Night before I left, I killed the charging system in my car (i'll spare telling you the details of how stupid i was). Anyhow, I was now on a really tight schedule to get a car w/ something of a sound system in it to take on my trip. Ended up taking my girlfriend's '98 Chevy Lumina in and they installed a CDA-9843 and a set of front 6.5" alpine co-ax's. Took em about an hour total and i only paid for the parts...labor was free. Overall good experienced and they took care of me quickly. mileage may vary...obviously a different tech may not be as professional as the previous one. If you want Best Buy to do your install for you, see if you can find some people in the area who have had their cars done there...request a certain tech or somethin..I know my buddy had a overhead DVD player/screen installed in his 05 Ford Escape....Best Buy totally f*cked his headliner up and ended up paying to have it replaced. (different best buy than i went to) So some good experience, some bad...see if you can get local reviews for more accuracy

ON THE OTHER HAND....Best Buy will rape you on the price of many components. for the cheaper HU like that 9843, it's not so bad....Best Buy had it for 154.99, and online you could have it for maybe 143.99 or so....nothing huge. Go try and buy a higher end Pioneer deck or something though and you'll find yourself paying at times 2-300 dollars more than you can find them online. DEH-P860MP for example.

So yeah, sorry that was a long post to answer a really simple question, but just wanted to give ya the whole story. Sorry if anyone fell asleep reading it

Oh, and my recommendation.... www.woofersetc.com ...good prices and relatively fair shipping charges. and a very good selection of nice audio equipment
Old 10-16-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Romanova
No. Me, removing interior bits, and electrical components . I leave that to professionals.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well the guys at Best Buy are hardly professionals. I used to work at one. They just hired a new guy at ours and he drilled through a fuel line when putting in a ground. Doh! And, he also cracked the dash bezel in half.

Install yourself, or go to a reputable stereo shop near you.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by racecaryaya
Originally Posted by Romanova
No. Me, removing interior bits, and electrical components . I leave that to professionals.

If you use the walkthrough in the tech section, you'll be fine. Seriously, it's THAT easy. If you order from Crutchfield, they include the wire harness and install kit, plus detailed diagrams for the xA/xB, and free tech phone support forever.

If you are still afraid to do it, why not try and find another SL member who is comfortable doing it? Remember, it's very hard to find someone who will treat your car with the respect it deserves... doubt you will find that respect at Best Buy...
Old 10-16-2005, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Don't let best buy install, unless you get someone who takes pride in there work all you will get it crappy job.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Yeah, walkthrough in my sig takes you through every interior piece of a tC....it's really not that hard.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member

ive had a lot of things installed at best buy they did a great job look for the badge on their arm that says they are certified and they should have cirtificates on the wall with the names of the ones who had to the training and besides they do a check of everything before and after the install and if they mess anything up im pretty sure they wont give you any beef about fixing or replacing they broke one of my side panels i told the manager of the install bay and no problems they paid for it with out any problems
Old 10-17-2005, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the MECP badge on their sleeve only means that they can pass a written test. I've seen and worked with "MECP Certified" installers before and was scared to let them install. ask the installers if they have pics of their work. the ones who take pride in their work will most of the time have pictures.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Dont let Best Buy install anything on your car......I had bought I new pioneer deck from best buy and it had a deal with it that i got free installation....this was for my girlfriend's car which i also wanted the guy to run wires to the back to put sub's in the back....well wen i got the car back it look great the radio was in and such but the wires were put in but wrapped up under the dash....
Well to make a long story short, the wires werent run to the back and later my gf's car was traded in for a newer one and wen the deck was taken out to but in the new one, the guy from Best Buy butchered the all the wires in the back and the original radio did get radio channels after.....so i took her car to a professional place and the installed everything perfectly.....phew .....dont let best buy install anything esp. on ur scion...........just my $.o2
Old 10-17-2005, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in my old car before i got into car audio, i let circuit city install a single 12 in my car. I was gone maybe 30 mins and i smelt a plastic burning smell and looked back to see nothing but smoke! circuit city and best buy is a NO in my book
Old 10-17-2005, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I work at circuit city and am friendly with all the installers and the car audio manager. They take pictures of all there work and take pride in things they do. They are a little lazy though, but they do a nice job.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no matter where you go there are installers that take pride in their work and you have some that are just taking up space. that's why it's good to talk to the installers to get a feel if they care or just there for a paycheck.