Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Greddy Oil Catch Tank Install With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Greddy Oil Catch Tank Install With Pictures

After debating about weather or not the oil catch tank was worth it or not I decided to give it a go. I'll let you know a a few hundred miles if it has caught any oil that would have normally made its way to the intake manifold.

There was some funky stuff with the install for the xB. The Greddy instructions were unhelpful and almost nonexistent and believe it or not the xB service manual is devoid of any PCV info, so I thought I'd put up some info that hopefully is helpful.

Oil catch tanks come with either 9mm or 15mm hoses. Most Japanese cars (including ours) take the 9mm variety. However, just to make things challenging Toyota decided to make our Positive Crankcase Valve (PCV) hose 9mm on one end and 18mm on the other. This means that you have to reuse the ugly grey stock hose for one of the connections rather then the cool GReddy hose with the cool blue clamp that goes on the oil catch tank. ____.

If you look at the first picture below you can see I marked A, B, C and D. "A" is the PCV (valve) located at the top right corner of the valve cover under the engine cover (which has a 9mm opening). "B" is the input into the Intake Manifold (which has an 18mm opening). The stock PCV hose normally runs from A to B (I have a green line draw to represent this). All that you do to install this thing is put it between the A - B connection. The clear hose going from A to C (the oil catch tank) came from Greddy. The grey hose going from B to the green D is the stock hose I had to reuse because the greddy hoses are 9mm on both ends.

BTW, I had to cut off a foam wrapping that used to be around the stock hose. I think it was there because it used to run under the engine cover and needed to be insulated from heat. Also I am hoping to cut along the red dotted line that is circled and get something that will allow me to join the 9mm Greddy hose for aesthetic reasons.

Old 06-11-2004, 11:48 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

Yeah, its is a cool addition. rampagesd did it and it looked great in person. you shoulda replaced the pcv valve while you were at it.

The valve wears out and gets dirty after a while ( about 10-12k miles) if it can't open correctly when the intake manifold creates a vacuum, then you aren't going to get the proper crankcase ventilation. Can lead to worse emmissions, dirty oil and more fumes venting back through the PCV inlet and into your iintake.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet
Old 06-12-2004, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Added this to the tech section

https://www.scionlife.com/tech/
Old 08-14-2004, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member

So what is the verdict? Did it catch any oil?
Old 08-14-2004, 12:27 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Strictly Scionized
SL Member

On my turbo'd corolla, I have oil all over the place because I dont have anything to catch it.. I have puddles down by my fuel injectors.. that'll be fun to clean out ..
Old 08-14-2004, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by freak_lad
So what is the verdict? Did it catch any oil?
thanks for bringing this back. i am wondering the same thing
Old 08-15-2004, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so, caught any oil? im still wondering..
Old 08-26-2004, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
N.G.S.O.

caught anything?
Old 08-28-2004, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for the late reply. Well, its not exactly spilling over the top thats for sure. In fact, the clear tube on the side that shows how much waste is in the can is not filled at all. However, the tube is discolored with a yellow, oily residue and so is the inside on the can. So, I imagine that this same reside would make it back into the intake manifold otherwise. Keep in mind that I only have like 3100 miles on the car so perhaps down the line I'll have a better idea. My cursory opinion is that this is not a vital mod that you will notice when driving, but over the coarse of a few years it might make a difference in the reliability of the car. However, it looks bad ___ and was fun to install, so for $85 was worth it IMO. For those with any kind of forced induction that might create a higher volume of blow-by gas the oil catch can would be a good investment.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member

just curious whats the ree thing between your rad hose looks like it says TC?
Old 11-20-2004, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by slow_yota
just curious whats the ree thing between your rad hose looks like it says TC?
thats the temp sensor for an aftermarket gauge.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

you can buy that clear hose at any marine parts stores in all kinds of sizes. Just thought Id let you know so you could take that ugly stock hose out...
Old 12-03-2004, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I'm not trying to be an _______ but putting a catch can on our cars is a waste of money. These tanks are used for forced induction engines and/or engines with HIGH compression. If you want to install this in your car then go for it. You'll catch minimal oil and it will take a LONG time to get any noticeable build up from our engines. Once again, I'm not trying to be an ___ or start a flame war here. Just wanted to post what I know up here.

Zach
Old 12-03-2004, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

well in referance to yer post they do have high compression motors but they dont spit oil like fi motors by any means
Old 12-03-2004, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

What's the compression ratio for these motors? When I say high compression I mean 11.5:1 or higher. I thought these were 10.5:1 or so. I could be wrong though, I am a noob when it comes to Scions.

Zach
Old 12-04-2004, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah 10.5 i believe thats still pretty high. npt really high but pretty hi. lol but yeah
Old 12-04-2004, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member

anybody got a part # for this catch can..im going to a turbo set up and would be nice to have this.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:32 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BoostedRex
I'm not trying to be an _______ but putting a catch can on our cars is a waste of money. These tanks are used for forced induction engines and/or engines with HIGH compression. If you want to install this in your car then go for it. You'll catch minimal oil and it will take a LONG time to get any noticeable build up from our engines. Once again, I'm not trying to be an ___ or start a flame war here. Just wanted to post what I know up here.

Zach
Zach,

Toyotas are known for sucking oil. I have this on my xB and the clear tube was coated within a day. After you get your xB, drive it on the freeway for a couple hundred miles, then pull off your intake manifold.

It will be coated, though not heavily and dripping, with oil.

Sure it'll take a long time to fill, but I don't want any oil coating my intake.

I did this mod to my Celicas when I had them. The Matrix is next as soon as I regain the use of my right hand.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by squirrel
as soon as I regain the use of my right hand.
ewww

Quick Reply: Greddy Oil Catch Tank Install With Pictures