Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
^^ actually the problem is that the nuts are not self-locking. It's not about unibody or not. That is why it's advised to check the torque of the nuts. Which means they can loosen themselves and possibly come loose. It's theoretical that an accident COULD happen but I think the driver would have to be really not paying attention to the car, if those bolts were that loose.
you do have a valid point about any bolts/nuts tht are not self-locking.
That could happen on any part that is held in place that way. Just goes to show that you cant overlook any part of maintenance on a vehicle...no matter how small.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Just did this on my car and was really surprised how loose some of the bolts/nuts were...bump for a great thread...CHECK YO BOLTS SON!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:24 PM

damn..... this sux...now i know why i hear all kinds of crap lol.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

They are self locking, by Toyota design, you just need to give them time to rust and then seize on the threads.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
They are self locking, by Toyota design, you just need to give them time to rust and then seize on the threads.
as i do agree that once they rust and seize they're not going anywhere. it is incorrect to say that the toyota design is "self-locking" if they were then we wouldn't have to re-torque them, nor would the service manual be recommending periodic tightening of nuts.

unless you were making a joke as if saying toyota by design worked them to rust in place then self-lock "by design"? then im laughing..
Old 12-10-2011, 05:57 AM

I saw people asking where to find this in any official literature but didn't see an answer. This is in the 2005 Scheduled Maintenance Guide:

(Rinse and repeat every 5,000 miles...)
Old 02-20-2012, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by bluaeon
sciontc_mitch: thanks for these info. by any chance, do you have the full service manual? does anyone have service manual for download? please?
I don't have the service manual either, does anyone have service manual for download?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmansilla
I don't have the service manual either, does anyone have service manual for download?
the service manual is available here on scionlife, it's above under features--> scion tech. or here's a link...

https://www.scionlife.com/tech/manual/?manual=tc05_0001

EDIT: July 2015.. It looks like Scionlife has removed the service manual from the above link.. doesn't work anymore. Had to post this so others don't go there confused they can't find it. My original links still do work correctly.

Last edited by sciontc_mich; 07-12-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had to tighten all of my bolts. thanks for the heads up
Old 05-26-2014, 03:20 PM

Angry Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis!

I know.. at first last year I didn't think it was normal, but thought it was the factory. This year I know they're loosening on their own!

And no Scion dealer is really paying any attention to this and it's in the Maint schedule. Pass it along, would like everyone to be aware of this. Not all bolts are loose but any of them loose in the suspension isn't cool.

Very true! I've complained several times about that and they just look the other way. If I can notice and I am just a weekend mechanic and the "trained technicians" can't, then there's a problem! All we have is each other.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:32 AM

Default Chassis and bolts

Hey, I just had a quick question. Do I need to raise my car at all to tighten the nuts and bolts? I printed out all of the assembly/disassembly. I appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great info here! I'll be doing this soon after I install my front sway bar.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Good thing this thread rose from the dead again. I too was wondering about this because my '07 has about 83K on it and since last year it's been starting to make a lot of rattle click clack noises all over the place. It probably doesn't help that I have stiff suspension on my coilovers along with front and rear under braces, strut bars and rear c-pillar bar.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
Good thing this thread rose from the dead again. I too was wondering about this because my '07 has about 83K on it and since last year it's been starting to make a lot of rattle click clack noises all over the place. It probably doesn't help that I have stiff suspension on my coilovers along with front and rear under braces, strut bars and rear c-pillar bar.
Actually with under bracing it should squeak less since it's more rigid. For the factory parts they never used locking nuts to hold things together and over time they all loosen. I'm wondering if that's what is happening with yours.. check them out and they may need some tightening..Glad the thread has helped people for this many years!
Old 08-30-2015, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Actually with under bracing it should squeak less since it's more rigid. For the factory parts they never used locking nuts to hold things together and over time they all loosen. I'm wondering if that's what is happening with yours.. check them out and they may need some tightening..Glad the thread has helped people for this many years!
One of the big issues I'm still having is that even in the maintenance manual it doesn't tell you the torque specs for my front and rear underbrace bolts while every other bolt is listed.