Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Fog Light Installation (OEM)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On the factory oem foglight grille, how do you know which is top and bottom, and yes it does matter.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

nice simple DIY.. pricy though for fogs.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my whole kit for 100, lightly used. Cant even tell.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how long does the battery have to be disconnected for... in order for the windows to stop working....how do you fix the windows again
Old 03-05-2009, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From another thread:

You need to reset the auto up/down window feature. Look closely at the power window switches. Are the indicator lights flashing? This means the windows lost memory where to stop when in auto up. It's easy to reset. turn the key to on and hold the power window switch for the drivers window in the full up position for 2 seconds or more. Then go the the passenger door window switch and do the same thing. That will reset the windows and they will work.

You will also notice your auto open feature for the moonroof won't work either. You need to reset this too. Hold the moonroof window switch in the close position for 5 seconds. That will reset it.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

When you state "Next look for the connector wrapped in black tape. Remove the tape and connect this end to the wire harness" Where is it? I cannot find it
Old 07-11-2009, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, Here goes... I got some non-OEM fogs. They have a relay with them, I mounted it inside the bumper... The lead that inside the wheel well, what does it connect to in the dash?
I have everything wired on the outside, but I need a lil help wiring the switch on the inside... The switch has 3 wires. A ground, a power, and the lead that was supposed to connect to the lead coming from the relay I mounted inside my bumper. I connected the wire from the relay that is supposed to be connected to the third wire on the switch to the connection in my wheel well. I just need to know where the wire that was already there in the wheel well goes inside the car. I don't mean to repeat myself, I just want to be clear.

TIA,
Matt
Old 08-07-2009, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Do the eBay fogs install just like the OEM ones do? Since they look the same and everything.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 AM
SL Member

Yes, APT (eBay Fogs) connect the same (wire wise) the only difference is the mounting location for the actual lights themselves...
Old 08-14-2009, 04:07 AM

Default where did you get the ramps from?

where did you get the ramps from?

Originally Posted by nycazn79
I received my fog lights from http://www.mcgeorgeparts.com/ a few days ago and installed them today. Here are some step by step pics of what I did.

First, I strongly suggest that you purchase (if you don't already have) a jack and jack stands or a pair of wheel ramps since you have to work on the underside of the front. I got some ramps for $20 before the install.

As per the instructions, disconnect the battery of course. Next get underneath the car and remove the 2 plastic covers on the bottom. You'll need a Philips, 10mm socket and a flathead for the plastic push pins. After removing the covers, keep track of where the screws go and pop off the original grill. The instructions recommended a special tool, but I just used my fingers with ease.

On the driver's side wheel well, look for the grounding mount. The ground for the wire harness will be attached here.

Next look for the connector wrapped in black tape. Remove the tape and connect this end to the wire harness

Pop in the new grill and use the clips to hold the grill in. Make sure you put the clips in the correct slot. It might be easier if you remove the grill from its frame, attached it with the clips, and then put the grill back on. (see example below...clip in the pic goes on the left, not the right as I learned the hard way)

Slide the bulbs into the slots and should click right in.

Next run the wires from the along the top bumper and attach to the existing wires with zip ties. Connect the lights to the wires and you should be done for now with the front.

The easiest part is the internal wiring. On the driver's side, pull off the side cover, reach in and pop off the mirror switch panel. With the 3 way wire that comes with the kit, connect one end to the relay, another to the car's white connecter, and the other end to the switch. After the relay is connected, clip it in on the left hand side

Put the covers back on and reconnect the battery and test everything. Once everything is working fine, put the platic covers underneath and you should be all set. Just remember to reset all the windows after reconnecting the battery.

Here are some shots at night.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone know how many amps needed to power the vrd foglight relay? can i hook it up to 7.5 fuse in the fuse box?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I cant get the bottom grill out on my 2010. Maybe they're different than previous years? Doubtful, but I'm starting to slightly destroy parts and making 0 progress.

Any hints? Clues? Really good descriptions?

Here's a shot of one of the attachment areas from inside the bumper. I cant figure the damn thing out...

Old 03-05-2010, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well, this seems to be what I need, but I can't say it really helps still. I found this on the '09 page at TRDSparks. No such link for 2010 though.

http://trdsparks.com/install/PT413-21050inst.pdf

I know some folks at the dealership. Maybe I'll swing by tomorrow and find out who has upgraded any '10s recently and how they did it.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:46 AM

Default Fog Light help!

I have a 07 scion tc and just purchased my fog light kit, when you install the kit, do you have to run wires from the kit through under your hood and into your cab of the car? Or do I just plug the wiring harness into the socket under my bumper as shown in the pics and then plug in the switch to the proper outlet in the internal wiring and it works?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 AM

Has anyone ever blown a fuse installing their fog lights?
I got them all installed and they worked and then i took them out to change the bulbs and put them back in and they dont work.. no power to them at all and the bulbs are perfectly fine and brand new and all wires are connected so i dont know what is wrong with them?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

you do not need to run any wires into the car if you bought the right fog light kit... it is all plug and play.

and i have never blown a fuse installing fog lights... and if yours don't work..

psst.. hey... did you check your fuses before you bothered to ask?
Old 07-03-2011, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

those fog lights look great, i was having trouble installing them, but this DYI helped alot thanks!!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I assume you can't put these on, with a turbo intercooler in front. Would probably reduce the air flow to much..
Old 01-14-2014, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Perplex
I assume you can't put these on, with a turbo intercooler in front. Would probably reduce the air flow to much..
Well, that and not entirely sure myself but the fitment wouldn't even work!