Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Hatch Rattle Fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 08:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i havent heard anything yet...mine is an 05 with 32k miles.....should i hear it soon?
Old 12-17-2005, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcholic
i havent heard anything yet...mine is an 05 with 32k miles.....should i hear it soon?
You will if you start making you car stiffer.. ( lower springs, more agressive struts, ect.)
Old 12-17-2005, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good job
Old 01-26-2006, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Hey I don't know about u guys but I'm sure glad that one of the sales managers at my local toyota dealer owns a scion tc. When they're own need it fixed it gets DONE! hehe

Well to make a long story short, as soon as I brought the car in, and took the tech for a test drive, he knew what the problem was. He even had his suspicions before we went out to test drive.

Here was the problem. The rubber stoppers on the sides were not expending low enough so that the hatch would bounce and that would cause a rattle. Now I knwo this might not be the case for everyone, but for my hatch rattle it was. Some people have recommended taping some foam tape to these stoppers but that is only temporary, what you have to do is adjust the stoppers. Yup thats all you do! Unscrew them and set them lower. EASY and it worked for me.

I'll take some pictures and post. I feel great! and I love my TC even more now that it doesn't rattle!
Yeah, my hatch is loose and it bounces a bit, but when I loosened the bolts on the rubber stops on the hatch door, there was no movement...Same way with their counterpart on the body of the car. How do you adjust the stops?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by PghtC
Hey I don't know about u guys but I'm sure glad that one of the sales managers at my local toyota dealer owns a scion tc. When they're own need it fixed it gets DONE! hehe

Well to make a long story short, as soon as I brought the car in, and took the tech for a test drive, he knew what the problem was. He even had his suspicions before we went out to test drive.

Here was the problem. The rubber stoppers on the sides were not expending low enough so that the hatch would bounce and that would cause a rattle. Now I knwo this might not be the case for everyone, but for my hatch rattle it was. Some people have recommended taping some foam tape to these stoppers but that is only temporary, what you have to do is adjust the stoppers. Yup thats all you do! Unscrew them and set them lower. EASY and it worked for me.

I'll take some pictures and post. I feel great! and I love my TC even more now that it doesn't rattle!
Yeah, my hatch is loose and it bounces a bit, but when I loosened the bolts on the rubber stops on the hatch door, there was no movement...Same way with their counterpart on the body of the car. How do you adjust the stops?

TTT
Old 03-22-2006, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice job. I just noticed my rattle recently I might try this while at lunch. Where I work at actually recycles these foam so I can just get it and try.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

can someone descibe the rattle sort of?? i dont know if its the same one i have. it sounds like its coming from the passenger side rear... only when i hit bumps. i might try this if it sounds like it.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

you know what I have 4 10's in my trunk an there is alot of things that rattle I really dont care I have over 500$ of dynamatt in my car I did behide the driver back the floor the sides an the deck lid an the roof an it still rattles--
Old 03-23-2006, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here's a quick fix.
step one-take it to the dealership
step two-have them fix it,that is why your paying for the warranty
Old 03-23-2006, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default Hatch rattle

Sweet fix. That's been drivng me nuts. Hope the folks at Toyota fix this at the factory level.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I did eDead behind those ribs when I did the interior and stereo, and that took care of the noise from up there. However there is still something back around the rear passenger wheel well...

And the dealer is worthless. At least here. They don't want to help out with finding rattles.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NICE! this fixed the last rattles I've had in the car, now its silent! i put a layer of carpet padding on the headliner where the smaller ribs are, and put a phat piece behind the big one. I did this to both side and put more carpet padding on the headliner in front and around the sides and even the back of the dome light in the rear. Freakin awesome, thats all i gotta say cheers to this fix
Old 04-04-2006, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very helpful post, I'm going to open my hatch up tomorrow, and try to get rid of that annoying rattle. THANKS ALOT
Old 04-04-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

another good place to stuff some padding, would be the wiring from the hatch that runs up the hatch to the middle of the roof in the rear. the wiring that runs through there, has a lot of white clips that hold it up, at various points. those can get loose, and make a tapping sound on the metal of the hatch. and so can the black loom, that holds the wiring.

what i did was put some carpet padding behind the black loom parts leading from the hatch, to the top of the roof. as well as put some behind the white clips that run this wiring. i also did the wiring and clips for the hatch lid itself.

so in short, put some thick padding behind the wiring, and white clips from the hatch lid. and do the same for the wiring thats running on the left side of the hatch, from the lid to the side of the glass, leading to the roof.

that should solve a lot of rattling issues as well.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dealer told me they need to order a new moonroof gasket or something like that to fix my rattle. Sounds like the same rattle you guys are talking. I wonder what theyd do if I told them to try this fix first.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow awesome.

I just purchased mine a week ago and have the side airbags. I haven't heard anything yet. I haven't lowered it my car yet. Hope this problem doesn't occur. If it does, I wonder how will it be resolved with the side airbag?

Again, good job!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wc01
here's a quick fix.
step one-take it to the dealership
step two-have them fix it,that is why your paying for the warranty
my steps :
step 1 - called dealer. dealer didn't know about the problem or fix. I might have to leave it overnight.
step 2 - toyota customer service didn't know about the problem. or so they say.
step 3 - called dealer #2. he said" hmm you have a 2006..its only on the 2005 models." but at least he said he would spend the time to look at it if i brought it in. but they're not open weeekends.
step 4 - check SL where people here definitely know about the problem.
step 5 - $4 rubber stoppers and 5 minutes later i have my fix.

yeah, going back and forth to the dealer (some people here on as many as 3 separate visits)...i don't have that kind of free time. and for $4 versus an overnight stay at the dealer. that's a no-brainer.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude i wanna hump ure leg. Im going to Home depot tomorrow and i WILL fix that damn rattle. Im annoyed that the dealerships are just to retarded to come up with a fix themselves... but whatever. SL is my bestfriend sometimes
Old 08-22-2006, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My rattle is even worse now after going to the dealer.
Right after it was done the rattle was gone for about 2 days, then it came back. Now on top of that rattle it now rattles along the sides. If I push up or pull down on the lining around the suicide bars it goes away, let go and it starts again. Silliest thing is that when you push up and release you can hear the lining pull away from the velcro, they dont stick together any more. Id take it back to the dealer but that has to wait till the main road opens up and I dont have to take bumpy gravel roads anymore. Any Ideas.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine too is worst now from going to the dealership.... I'm pretty convinced that the rattle is coming from right in between where the two panel flaps roll into. If I could just take that off and play around with it I'm sure I could locate it......so frustrating

Quick Reply: Hatch Rattle Fix