Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Horn Install (Hella Supertone)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:54 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

haha...the train horn is so awesome but I don't want to have to lug around the air compressor. The video is awesome though!
Old 06-27-2006, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

would anyone be able to rehost the clip of the horn? tripod says they dont have it anymore....
Old 06-29-2006, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The wimpy sounding OEM horns were the first thing I replaced on my car. Used PIAA sport horns. nicer louder tone, but not quite train horn loud. No need for new relays, Just plugged/spliced in the original wires from the OEM horns. Well worth the 46 bucks I paid for them.

Chombi
05 FM tC
Old 07-01-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I'll host the file. I'm having trouble listening to it too. e-mail me the file and I'll host it. whiteblazer01@***.net
Old 07-02-2006, 02:28 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

hey guys.... i would say that installing a horn is pretty simple...
for me.. i got a little something extra than Hella's.. here's some pics and a vid.

specs:
low 400 Hz
high 480 Hz
113 dB

Mitsuba Arena II's

can't read japanese.. but colored diagram... w00t!

hmm.. where to mount box... sure.. here..

hmm.. all installed.. ignore hairy leg... o.0 but note scion sandals..

shot from front

ready to test... let's see.... let's do 2 regular honks.. and then the umm.. 'special' one..
Old 07-02-2006, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Very nice Trung! Sounds good too! I'm thinking I should put one on my bike....
Old 07-02-2006, 09:35 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

thanks Paul!

it took FOREVER for Super Autobacs to restock these... i kept going back month after month with no luck (when i was still living in San Diego, i made frequent trips to LA and stopped by)..

but when Triathlon rolled around and me and my buddies went to SoCal.... hehehe... w00t!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CRxB - thank you for the DIY!!! I have just bought a set of these on TruckCustomizers.com - came out less than $62 shipped!

I read a different how to on here that shows how to replace the stock xB horns with the Hells Twin Supertones.... but I am going to go one step further!

Instead of replacing the stock ones, I am going to keep them AND connect the Hellas' as well! When I am done, both horns will sound when I use the stock horn button on the steering wheel! lol!

But why stop there? I am doing 1 more thing to make this thing real effective....

I have an absolutely stock xB with stock nose/grill. I am going to remove the grill and mount the hellas like this:

But since the stock xB grill is sort of thick and, i feel, would prevent the horn sound from escaping the engine compartment, I AM THINKING OF DRIVING AROUND GRILL-LESS FOR A WHILE! LOL! no, im serious! i am going to put the grill on after installing the horns but if i feel that the grill is muffling the sound by any amount, im throwing the grill in the trunk of the xB and driving around without one!

I am going to mount the horns as shown above but i will angle each of them to the left and the right - about 15 or 30 degrees in either direct. this will maximize the "blast zone" hahahahaha!
- sh00k
Old 08-22-2006, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member

thanks for the details i just installed hellas on my xa
Old 08-22-2006, 06:03 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
I AM THINKING OF DRIVING AROUND GRILL-LESS FOR A WHILE! LOL! no, im serious! i am going to put the grill on after installing the horns but if i feel that the grill is muffling the sound by any amount, im throwing the grill in the trunk of the xB and driving around without one!
you do realize why the top xB grille is normally blocked off.. yes? perhaps you should find out before you go grilleless.. especially if it's still hot outside (that's probably too late anyway....) but yeah.. i would put it back on asap if you haven't already.

and if you can't find out... i'll tell you then... actually here... i'll push you towards the right direction:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=101528
Old 09-04-2006, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude - I installed 2 sets of the Hella horns on my xB! hahahahaha! check out my thread here https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=135344 and here is a teaser pic! lol ;]
- sh00k

ps - im getting another grill for the xB - something that will let the sound out!
Old 09-04-2006, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the stock horn is pretty wimpy. I'm definitley going to replace mine. Nice DIY.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:46 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
Dude - I installed 2 sets of the Hella horns on my xB!
Old 09-18-2006, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member

Hey I just got these in and just had to hear them now so i popped them in without the relay. With the way our horns are wired do you really need the relay?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ many people say no, but I wanted to be safe. I am not a big car/electrical person so rather than TRYING to just plug in the new horns to the existing harness, I followed the directions (link in my signature below) and did it that way.
- sh00k
Old 09-29-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm considering the hella horns but i don't like that they're red. those of you that have handled them, if i were to remove the 8 screws would the red part come off? if i can take it off and paint it flat black i will definitely do this.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by fastandcurious
i'm considering the hella horns but i don't like that they're red. those of you that have handled them, if i were to remove the 8 screws would the red part come off? if i can take it off and paint it flat black i will definitely do this.
Yup... a lot of Subaru owners paint them black...
Old 10-05-2006, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I just got a lexus es300 horn.. supposodly it's the same connectors as the stock tC's horn.. do i unplug anything from the battery? or can i just unplug the stock horn, and then plug in the es300 horn??
Old 10-05-2006, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sniffs
I just got a lexus es300 horn.. supposodly it's the same connectors as the stock tC's horn.. do i unplug anything from the battery? or can i just unplug the stock horn, and then plug in the es300 horn??
do you have any pics? sound clips? cuz the more i think about it, i would rather not splice cables. i would like to find something better that will be a direct fit.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

it looks like its the same plug.. like i unplug the stock horn and plug the same cable into the es300 horn.. i was just wondering if i can just unscrew and remove the stock horns, unplg them then plug in the new horn and mount it.. or if i have to remove the battery terminals or some ground cables or something

also.. the damn guy that sold me it, i didnt realize until i just got it, that i only got 1 horn.. the tc has 2.. can i unplug one and leave it unplugged and just have the es300 horn plugged in? or does it require both to be plugged in to make a connection!?!

Quick Reply: Horn Install (Hella Supertone)