Notices
Website Discussion Problem? Let us know about it here...

Explanation of how most flame wars start on SL

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Explanation of how most flame wars start on SL

Wired magazine had an article exploring how often emails get misinterpreted. The same applies to forums, I'm sure. People not understanding how they are being interpreted is probably the #1 cause for getting banned...
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70179-0.html

The Secret Cause of Flame Wars

"Don't work too hard," wrote a colleague in an e-mail today. Was she sincere or sarcastic? I think I know (sarcastic), but I'm probably wrong.

According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time.

"That's how flame wars get started," says psychologist Nicholas Epley of the University of Chicago, who conducted the research with Justin Kruger of New York University. "People in our study were convinced they've accurately understood the tone of an e-mail message when in fact their odds are no better than chance," says Epley.

The researchers took 30 pairs of undergraduate students and gave each one a list of 20 statements about topics like campus food or the weather. Assuming either a serious or sarcastic tone, one member of each pair e-mailed the statements to his or her partner. The partners then guessed the intended tone and indicated how confident they were in their answers.

Those who sent the messages predicted that nearly 80 percent of the time their partners would correctly interpret the tone. In fact the recipients got it right just over 50 percent of the time.

"People often think the tone or emotion in their messages is obvious because they 'hear' the tone they intend in their head as they write," Epley explains.

At the same time, those reading messages unconsciously interpret them based on their current mood, stereotypes and expectations. Despite this, the research subjects thought they accurately interpreted the messages nine out of 10 times.

The reason for this is egocentrism, or the difficulty some people have detaching themselves from their own perspective, says Epley. In other words, people aren't that good at imagining how a message might be understood from another person's perspective.

"E-mail is very easy to misinterpret, which not only triggers flame wars but lots of litigation," says Nancy Flynn, executive director of the e-Policy Institute and author of guidebooks E-Mail Rules and Instant Messaging Rules. Many companies battle workplace lawsuits triggered by employee e-mail, according to Flynn.

People write absolutely, incredibly stupid things in company e-mails," said Flynn.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We need this stuck somewhere on ScionLife where people can find and refer to it easily...
Old 03-31-2006, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I agree sticky this some place...
Old 03-31-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Signature Visions
SL Member

are you being sarcastic???

Old 03-31-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah right, I'm totally sure he's being sarcastic.

Heh, see, you can't tell either can you?

Hell, I just wrote it, and I can't even tell if I was trying to be sarcastic!

And I'm not even sure if the last sentence I just put in was sarcastic or not.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've just stickied this since it might come in handy to have around for our moderators. There are a handful of people on this site that could learn something by being directed here.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:10 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Wow, that is sooooooooooo true... (sincere or sarcastic!?)

Old 02-13-2007, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Good article i always try not to fight on forums unless somebody is an real "@#$%!# lol