Notices
xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

Air Filter: Cabin Filter Fabrication

Old 04-17-2005, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member

Default Web Products filter @ Home Depot

Originally Posted by hotbox05
Originally Posted by Satmax
First of all, props to rbloedow for this great post!

I ran straight to Wal-Mart after I read this thread at work. I was about to buy a filter just like the one he showed in his pics when I saw something that might be a bit easier to install and have all the same pros as his air filter project.

I picked up the WEB ABSORBER. It's an insert made for home a/c units. This filter has an electrostatic filter with an adhesive layer and then an activated charcoal filter. The filter also comes with a black plastic grid and you can trim this filter to fit all size of ducts. I thought this would work perfectly for our filter trays so I brought it home.

Once I got the size figured out, I just started cutting with scissors. I trimmed up the black plastic grid and then layered the filters in order and placed the grid on top. NO tape needed. The tray's retaining pegs on the top of the tray held down the plastic grid. The filter was also thick and spongy enough that it fit like a glove and didn't bulge.

Here are some pics of the supplies and the finished product. I thought it looked rather OEM-ish after I was done!

checked two walmarts and neither had this item , damn.
Got one for about 10 dollars @ Home Depot. Installed in less than tem minutes. Also picked up some kinda smelly thing to stink the car like an ocean breeze. Don't think the dryer sheet will actually pass any kind of air thru it.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i would think a dryer sheet would flow well. that or maybe some liquid air freshener and just pour it in.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Swiffer sheets work good too, help grab more dust...
Old 04-17-2005, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I ran straight to Wal-Mart after I read this thread at work. I was about to buy a filter just like the one he showed in his pics when I saw something that might be a bit easier to install and have all the same pros as his air filter project.

I picked up the WEB ABSORBER. It's an insert made for home a/c units. This filter has an electrostatic filter with an adhesive layer and then an activated charcoal filter. The filter also comes with a black plastic grid and you can trim this filter to fit all size of ducts. I thought this would work perfectly for our filter trays so I brought it home.

Once I got the size figured out, I just started cutting with scissors. I trimmed up the black plastic grid and then layered the filters in order and placed the grid on top. NO tape needed. The tray's retaining pegs on the top of the tray held down the plastic grid. The filter was also thick and spongy enough that it fit like a glove and didn't bulge.

Here are some pics of the supplies and the finished product. I thought it looked rather OEM-ish after I was done!

Just bought the same one at Home Depot for 10 bucks... you can get 6 filters out of one peice... so roughly $1.66 per filter as opposed to Toyotas $20 !!!! Great find!
Old 04-17-2005, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by metro
I made mine a few days ago for about $5 bucks, I got a medium grade filter from Home Depot. They also have small carbon inserts you can buy for air purifiers, baby room air cleaners etc for a few bucks. Luckily the girl who rang me up couldnt find the price so I got it for free! I do have one question though. I put it in and it works great however I was wondering which direction the air flows in that space, does it come up from down below or does it come from up top through the engine bay? This will allow me to know which way my air filter should face. Thanks
In the tC it flows downward... I am guessing it would be the same setup for the xA. I just pulled the tray out and stuck a peice of paper in to see which way it was blowing... watch out for the fan blades though
Old 04-18-2005, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Scott, what amazes me even more is that Toyota/Scion thinks their $.99 filter is worth $20...
what's even more amazing is that they will put a tray for a filter, but not put the filter in it... and then not tell us that there is an optional filter....

all this time, i thought cabin filtering was a standard thing... just like having a dash that lighted up... i guess not. gonna go to walmart tomorrow for this. if they dont have it, its off to home depot.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:29 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer

Just bought the same one at Home Depot for 10 bucks... you can get 6 filters out of one peice... so roughly $1.66 per filter as opposed to Toyotas $20 !!!! Great find!
What's also cool about this filter is since you can make 6 filter assemblies out of one package, your filters should last you a year and a half when you replace them every 3 months!!! $10 for a Wal-Mart filter that lasts you a year and a half versus the Toyota OEM filter for $20. For the OEM filter over the course of a year and a half and changing the filter every 3 months, you're looking at wasting $120.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

IF only I could find this , i've checked multiple wal marts all to no avail . ARGH!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

IF only I could find this , i've checked multiple wal marts all to no avail . ARGH!!!
Got mine at Home Depot
Old 04-22-2005, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Curious...

Which mod is better... the first mod for the cabin air filter or the current one (which of course seems to be more appealing to my eye)??

Let me know.. just want a difference if there is any... it is air by the way..
Old 04-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind that the filters being chopped up for this are only MERV 10 or so, and aren't suitable for getting the most annoying fine particles out of the airflow, only the larger particles.

To filter most allergens one really needs to move to a HEPA filter. Thing is, I'm not sure if the air system in the Scions is designed to handle the restriction of a HEPA rated filter...

(Here's a little information on filter ratings in general: http://www.pureairsystems.com/university_103.cfm )
Old 04-22-2005, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I think most hepa filters will signifiacantly drop the airflow.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by scionracerxb
i made my own today out of a peice of filter media from my fish tank and about 15 bounce dryer sheets. it works awesome a really freshens the car up. just gotta see how long it lasts now.
when adding dryer sheets, make sure it's ON TOP of the filter material... for anyone else that wants to try it. I put it under the filter material and all these white particles started flying out of my air vents... ____.... my car does smell nice though.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Actual size of filter needed is 7-15/16 x 8-1/5 x 5/8. The wed absorber works great, as stated before, and 6 per filter. With the charcoal, should get rid of most odors. The air flows down through the filter, so the carbon filter should be on bottom so the air is already filtered when it hits the cardon one. Also I worried about breaking the box to get it by the side tabs, so I took out the glove box by prying it off its clips in each corner, (after opening the door a little (used wide bladed screwdriver. covered with felt to protect bottom edge of glovebox), and then it comes right out. The tabs on the side are tapered, so to get it back together, pop it on the bottom clips, and just close with steady pressure. Works great. Have to try it out on a drive by a cattle yard in a couple of weeks to see how the carbon does its job.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by metro
.... I do have one question though. I put it in and it works great however I was wondering which direction the air flows in that space, does it come up from down below or does it come from up top through the engine bay? This will allow me to know which way my air filter should face. Thanks
https://www.scionlife.com/tech/interior_filter/004.jpg

See the black curved/ triangle areas in the image from the original instructions... They are the seals on the air circulation system. When you've got the glovebox removed, switch the ignitiion on and turn the fan on. You will see that in this image ( and my 05 xB) that the air is drawn inward and upward from behind the glovebox towards the vents.

I believe that means you should install your filter with the green filter element down and the charcoal element facing up.

ALSO.... when you have the filter holder out, it has an arrow indicator and the word UP imprinted on it. This corresponds with its orientation in the space as well as the direction of the airflow.

-John Y.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watch the fans...lol..i thought you were joking
Old 08-27-2005, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone who has experience with putting a filter in their xB have anything to say about how it decreases air flow in the cabin? Does it have impact on how well the AC works?
Old 08-27-2005, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ptmccain
Does anyone who has experience with putting a filter in their xB have anything to say about how it decreases air flow in the cabin? Does it have impact on how well the AC works?
I've noticed ZERO change in the air flow with the filter installed. Just changed mine today - probably didn't need changing, but it was dirty (and cheap )
Earlier in this thread I believe the 'ifs, ands, and buts' of your question were addressed.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member

thanks for the great idea!
my nose is so much happier!!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been driving for at least 6,000 miles with the filter mod and not once did I notice a big A/C change.

Well coming from a guy who had barely A/C in his first car, I think that this mod is coo and wont affect the flow of air that drastic.

I do want to try out the fabric sheet though...hjehe

Oh yeah!! One last thing, I decided to check and clean my cabin-mod filter and found bugs, some dirt, and a some dust in it... how weird that it traps stuff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Filter: Cabin Filter Fabrication