Notices
xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

Armrest Installation (Zeta w/storage + cupholder)

Old 01-24-2005, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Armrest Installation (Zeta w/storage + cupholder)

In this tutorial, I will be installing the Zeta Products Storage Armrest into my xA. The Zeta Products Storage Armrest is Zeta Product's newest armrest for the xA/xB. I would like to thank Angelo Marzullo at Zeta Products for providing an armrest for this install.

Tools needed:

For xA
-3/16" Allen Wrench (supplied)

For xB
-Socket wrench with a 7/16" socket or
-7/16" Box wrench

Here is what comes in the box:

-For the xA, the kit comes with the armrest assembly, 4x 1-1/2" long Allen head screws, 2 clamping rods, and an instruction manual.
-For the xB, the kit comes with the armrest assembly, 4x 7/16" hex head bolts (w/ lock washers), 2 clamping plates, and an instruction manual.

First, recline/slide the front seats all the way forward to make room for the installation of the armrest.

Remove the plastic seat track mount covers of the two seat rails closest to the center console. Pulling the cover off from the front will help ease the removal.

Once the covers are removed, you can mount the armrest assembly.
Lower the armrest assembly over the center console.

-On the xA, the rods of the assembly should sit directly next to the seat track mounts.

-On the xB, the legs of the assembly should sit directly on the seat track mounts, slightly ahead of the seat track mounts.

I went ahead and folded the armrest down to balance the assembly on the mounts.

Now, you can start fastening the assembly to the seats.
-On the xA, take two of the Allen screws and a clamping rod and fasten them into the assembly using the supplied Allen wrench.

-On the xB, take two of the hex bolts and a clamping plate and fasten them into the assembly using a 7/16" wrench.

Do not tighten them all the way. Once the screws/bolts are on, go ahead and fasten the other side.

Once both sides have the brackets on, start to tighten the screws/bolts evenly.

Once the brackets are evenly tightened, check and make sure the assembly is sturdy. If it still wobbles, you may have to re-adjust/re-tighten the clamping rods/plates.

xA

xB

The installation of the Zeta Products Storage Armrest is complete!

Now, slide the front seats back and enjoy your new armrest!

Here are some pics of the of the final product:

Update 06/15/2005
Zeta Products Folding Cup Holder Install

Zeta Products now offers a folding cup holder for their popular storage armrest.

Included in the box:
- Folding Cup Holder
- Instructions

Tools Needed:
- 13mm socket or box wrench

First, slide the front seats forward so you can have room to work from the back seat.

Using the 13mm wrench, unbolt "Armrest Mounting Bolt" with lock washer.

Insert the bolt (w/ washer) through the cup holder assembly and fasten the bolt back into the armrest. Make sure not to overtorque the bolt.

Here is the final product:

The cupholder is very sturdy and folds up when not in use. Just like their armrests! :D

If you have any questions, please post here, pm, or email me.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Hey Miko,

Great write up as always but had a few questions.

I know you had the boomerang armerst before and now that you have the Zeta. Which one do you personally like? Why? Which one is easier to install?

I am looking at both products right now and just want a personal opinion from someone that has had both armrests.

Also, I know that one of the reasons you said you liked this armrest (on a previous thread) was because you are able to fold the armrest, now that you have it, is it what you were expecting?

Again just a few questions! Thank you for the write up!
Old 01-24-2005, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by ikhonlord
Hey Miko,

Great write up as always but had a few questions.

I know you had the boomerang armrest before and now that you have the Zeta. Which one do you personally like? Why? Which one is easier to install?
Personally, I like Zeta's storage armrest because of the ability to fold it up out of the way. I have a 5 speed transmission and I need to be able to shift naturally. With the Boomerang armrest, although I'm sure it's great for those with automatics, I felt like I was digging in a deep trash can every time I shifted gears.

Both of them seem pretty simple to install. I think Zeta's storage armrest took longer to install because I kept having to take the Allen wrench out and put it back in to tighten the screws. The Zeta storage armrest for the xB has regular 7/16" bolts...

Originally Posted by ikhonlord
I am looking at both products right now and just want a personal opinion from someone that has had both armrests.

Also, I know that one of the reasons you said you liked this armrest (on a previous thread) was because you are able to fold the armrest, now that you have it, is it what you were expecting?
If you have a 5 speed transmission or would like to be able to move the armrest out of the way, either of the Zeta armrests is the way to go. The install is easy and there is no drilling or burning holes into your seat.

The Boomerang armrest is great, too, but I would only recommend it to those who have automatic transmissions and wouldn't mind an armrest all the time. Although, I did notice the the Boomerang armrest warped the right side of my center console. Well, it was probably me who warped it, but that was because I would lean on the armrest...

The quality of both armrests are very good, but when it comes to being nit-picky, the Zeta storage armrest is on top...Boomerang Armrest second...and the original Zeta armrest third...
Old 02-18-2005, 04:15 AM
Banned

have you found the storage to be enough? how bout dependibility
Old 02-18-2005, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by XBman
have you found the storage to be enough? how bout dependibility
Well, I don't have a lot stuff to put in my car, but I have my eyeglass case, a couple of packs of gum, a FM modulator, and my Oakley Plate sunglasses in there.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is that arm rest black or is it gray,my seats is black will like to get that arm rest all black to match the interior...
Old 02-20-2005, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by squarepants
is that arm rest black or is it gray,my seats is black will like to get that arm rest all black to match the interior...
The plastic and powdercoated steel assembly match the interior plastic color. The armrest fabric is black.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Good how-to Miko.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Banned

Hey miko hows the armrest holding up? any rattles bending that sort of thing?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I haven't had any problems at all. "I rike it a rot!" :D
Old 03-21-2005, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Zeta Products Storage Armrest

Thank you for the installation photos and I have to agree that this was an easy install and a great product for my 5sp xB. Here is my personal review:

I finally had a chance to install the armrest at approximately 9:30PM EST on St. Patricks Day. Installation took exactly 15 minutes from the time that I took the key out of the ignition of my Scion xB to the time I was sitting back in the drivers seat with my right arm resting on the armrest (that time included everything not limited to; moving my seats, finding my 7/16" socket in the dark, removing the product from the box, mandatory smoke break, and drinking a green beer for St. Patricks Day)! It probably would have taken even less time if I had done it during daylight or had a flashlight! I was very impressed with the quality of the product. The armrest blended right into the vehicle, and the powdercoat on the riser brace was top knotch! The hardest part of the install was removing those OEM seat rail end covers.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Did you get the 1st gen. or the 2nd gen. (w/ storage) armrest?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default which generation arm rest do I have?

Sorry I wasn't aware there were 2 different generations of storage arm rests! I just recieved it in the mail around the 18th of March, so I would guess it is the 2nd...but what is the difference between the two?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Banned

yea a big one

heres the new

old 1

Old 03-22-2005, 10:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What type of zeta products arm rest

Those are not two different generations of "STORAGE ARM RESTS". One is obviously NOT a storage arm rest. I stated that I HAVE THE STORAGE ARM REST, which would be the top picture that you showed. Call it whatever generation that you want, dude...it is the one that has STORAGE. You had me so confused!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: What type of zeta products arm rest

Originally Posted by roketsciontist
Those are not two different generations of "STORAGE ARM RESTS". One is obviously NOT a storage arm rest. I stated that I HAVE THE STORAGE ARM REST, which would be the top picture that you showed. Call it whatever generation that you want, dude...it is the one that has STORAGE. You had me so confused!
Sorry, I didn't read your subject line.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Updated with cup holder install! :D
Old 06-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the write uo mikochu. How do you line the cup holder?

Angelo
Old 06-17-2005, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by zetaproducts
Thanks for the write uo mikochu. How do you line the cup holder?
The cup holder is great! It doesn't stick out like the Scion armrest. Just like the armrest, you can fold it when not in use. The cupholder might not fit those "big boy" cups, but the "big boys" usually sit in the front anyway. The cup holder add-on feels just as sturdy as the whole armrest. Now my backseat friends have somewhere to place their drink!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just finished installing the Zeta Storage Armrest in my xB and wanted to add a little more to this thread.

One of the bolts would not tighten all the way and just kept spinning. I determined that the threaded steel on the upright had stripped out while I was tightening the bolt. So I put washers and self-locking nuts on the bolts to make it ultra bullet proof and secure. I should probably take some pics, but it is really pretty easy to imagine. In addition to the threaded steel uprights the bolts now also have washers and nuts to go through. You may have to back the bolts out a little and then tighten everything again while holding the nuts in place with a wrench on the inside. The nuts are your standard 1/4" x 20 threads per inch and can be found at any Lowes, Home Depot, or hardware store. I bought the self locking nylon style. It is very secure now and will probably out last the rest of the xB!

The Zeta is a very sweet armrest. The height is perfect for my 6'.0" frame and materials and construction are top quality. The height is adjustable with a very secure ratcheting mechanism. The color is a perfect match to the stock xB interior. The lid is wider than the Scion OEM armrest and vinyl covering is easier on the skin. The OEM armrest had a rough material similar to the seat material. There is not a whole lot of storage space, but more than enough for what I needed. The cupholder option is not that great in my opinion. Too small hold anything other than a skinny water bottle and your average insulated coffee mug will not fit. I liked the cup holder in the OEM armrest better. Overall though, I prefer the Zeta and feel it is well worth the extra cost.

BTW, Any one ever see the stock VW GTI armrest? I would swear it was made by Zeta.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Armrest Installation (Zeta w/storage + cupholder)