xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

Brake Rotor Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

no you dont have to pull the nut just take off the 2 bolts that hold on the caliper and the rotor falls off
Old 07-12-2005, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey es65notch, I have the EXACT same problem as 2unique. I am basically onpicture #5 of the tutorial. The caliper and the bracket are off...there is nothing bolted to the rotor. However, I CANNOT get the darn thing off! I did look up on the service manual and it mentioned that you needed to line up the Matchmarks in order to pull the rotor off. Could it be that yours was already lined up therefore you didn't need to adjust the middle nut? Any help in on this would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Wow thats crazy I mean there is nothing that holds it on there but the caliper
I mean nothing thats strange did you wiggle it because it doesnt even touch the
the bolt in the center it fits around that ring on the out side of the bolt maybe its just a super tight fit on that lip or maybe it has a lip or burr on the ring around the nut other then that Im not sure guys sorry Im not more help. good luck keep me informed and If I get anymore info I will post it
Old 07-12-2005, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To correct what I said in my earlier post. The service manual does NOT say to "line up" the matchmarks to pull the rotor ...it says to just simply make a note as to where the matchmarks line up as an orientation for when the new rotor gets put back on.

After studying the pictures in the tutorial, your right, the rotor should pratically fall off. My Xb came from up north and I noticed a little surface rust here and there so maybe the rotor has adhered to the hub somehow. Just enough to make the rotor stubborn to get off. If you look really close at the original rotor you'll see two screw holes. I assume that if you were to find the right size screw to thread in there then it would "push" the rotor from the hub. I will be trying that this weekend and I will report back as to how it went.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

I would use a rubber mallet to give it a jolt and it should come loose. If you dont have a rubber mallet try a hammer and a piece of 2x4 or a piece of wood to protect the rotor. Not too hard of a hit but enough to knock it loose.

Mike
Old 07-15-2005, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciondude410
I would use a rubber mallet to give it a jolt and it should come loose. If you dont have a rubber mallet try a hammer and a piece of 2x4 or a piece of wood to protect the rotor. Not too hard of a hit but enough to knock it loose.

Mike
Ditto.

I've changed a few rotors in my day (various vehicles) and while there's nothing technically holding them on, sometimes a little tap is necessary to knock any possible rust or debris loose. I've even knocked a couple loose with just the heal of my palm, but a rubber mallet is the best way.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool im about to do it to mine
Old 11-14-2005, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

does anyone have pics of theirs after the pretty coating is worn off and they are good and broke in
Old 07-30-2006, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member

Just for peoples information, here is the torque information for the calipers and others. This is just a site that I found on the internet so I don't know how accurate it is.

http://www.autodatapubs.com/downloads/tdmi_sample.pdf

Hope it helps
Old 03-05-2007, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The easiest way to remove a rusted on rotor is to find a bolt that fits the two smaller holes in the rotor. Tighten the bolt in with a ratchet and this should pop them right off
Old 03-05-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2uniquexb
i tried the same thing that you did but im still having a hard time pulling my rotors of do i have to take that nut in the midlle.please i hope some one can help me out thank you.
If the rotor won't come off, place bolts in the 2 threaded holes in the rotor-hat. Alternately tighten the bolts and walk the rotor off the hub.

EDIT: Oops...someone beat me to it.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

After you bolt everything back down are you supposed to just pump the brakes to seat the piston?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bsbox
After you bolt everything back down are you supposed to just pump the brakes to seat the piston?
Yup
Old 04-29-2007, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey used this tech diy to do my own rotors went very well , i think someone needs to add a very complete "how to life and jackstand your car" diy also for those of us that have never done it before. either way it went well, took about 2 hours , the brakes do make a little bit of noise while they break in , wasnty sure about the shims so i put them both on the new pads.

oh yeah the OEM rotors where stuck on there but i just sprayed some WD-40 and let it sit of a minute and then tapped with the back of a screw driver and it came off easy.

bought the same rotors as in the pics good and cheap 120 shipped dont think they need the slots though drilled is really all you need.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Does anybody here have updated rotors we should be looking at? Best brake pads?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2007, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think the rotora kit from newscionparts .com is very good but i hear that slotting isnt that usefull, ,like i said mine are slotted and drilled with pads cost 120 and they feel exactlly like oem , no real difference at all . so its kinda up to you i think for price their a good deal.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think the rotora kit from newscionparts .com is very good but i hear that slotting isnt that usefull, ,like i said mine are slotted and drilled with pads cost 120 and they feel exactlly like oem , no real difference at all . so its kinda up to you i think for price their a good deal.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

We will have to see if I can get some NICE brake pads. I think that would help make a sizable difference with upgraded rotors. We will see!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I feel you guys with the stuck rotors. I took a hammer to the rotors (safely of course). That loosened up the rust enough to shimmy the rotor off.
Awesome write up.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

beautiful!

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor Install