xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

Camry Navigation Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by big_guy
Is there any way to change the intro graphics from Toyota w/ the Toyota Logo to Scion w/ the Scion Logo? Just curious. :?:
Unless you're a very good programmer (ahem hacker) and are good at hardware reverse engineering (ahem... hacker), then I'd highly doubt it. Scion were never meant to have navigation in the first place so there probably wouldn't even be a BIOS out there that has the SCION Logo. But if you find a couple guys that hacked the XBOX logo via modchip, then I think they might be able to do that.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

This is very cool. Just like the bBs. I hope they make it available in the near future as an option in the Scion with the Scion Logo.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by foxSCION
This is very cool. Just like the bBs. I hope they make it available in the near future as an option in the Scion with the Scion Logo.
I think if there is enough demand for it then Toyota would definitely consider it as an option. It's just one of those "must have" things for tech savvy people or people who travel a lot; and/or people who get lost a lot. Ever since I first used one, I've always known that this is something that I "must have" and I'll never resort back to unfolding maps and looking at gridlines and the such. Granted you are paying a lot for convenience but I believe that this kind of thing was developed for a purpose; to move us technologically forward. However, I think right now a lot of people who have gotten used to using maps wouldn't probably opt for this option because their biggest concern for paying a premium on this option is why would they need to spend $2K on something that they can easily find the same results with when purchasing a regular paper map (or Yahoo! maps for that matter).

Just my $.02, but enough with my B.S.ing, I think if people really want it as an option, we should tell Toyota Corp.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just want to clarify something here. you plug the outputs from the toyota nav into the existing scion harnesses that were previously plugged into the stock pioneer unit?

and then the jbl amp replaces the stock amp?

sorry for the dumb questions.

also curious as to whether you have the part numbers for the parts needed?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by irv_usc
I just want to clarify something here. you plug the outputs from the toyota nav into the existing scion harnesses that were previously plugged into the stock pioneer unit?

Well actually the plugs that normally go into the Pioneer HU plug into the JBL Amp first and then from the amp plugs into to the Navi head unit. Hope this was clear enough for you. Also the site I gave has pictures of what I'm talking about.

As for the part numbers, sorry I don't have any of that. But it was from a '04 Camry so you can probably contact a dealer for the part numbers. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wgeee7478
Originally Posted by irv_usc

Well actually the plugs that normally go into the Pioneer HU plug into the JBL Amp first and then from the amp plugs into to the Navi head unit. Hope this was clear enough for you. Also the site I gave has pictures of what I'm talking about.

As for the part numbers, sorry I don't have any of that. But it was from a '04 Camry so you can probably contact a dealer for the part numbers. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Yes, that makes everything crystal.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:27 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Maybe a stupid question, but does the unit light up the same color as the rest of the Scion dash?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CamoBox
Maybe a stupid question, but does the unit light up the same color as the rest of the Scion dash?
You mean like this

:D :D

... Nope, I wish.

However, I did do this.
Link --> "Now this is what I call MAD stock, it's soooo JDM."
Old 10-07-2004, 01:06 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Wow that just scared me away from considering the whole mod, I mean to get it to really look stock you will have to change all those LED's? That seems a little too much for the average do-it-yourself'er. But i give you props man that looks awesome.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CamoBox
Wow that just scared me away from considering the whole mod, I mean to get it to really look stock you will have to change all those LED's? That seems a little too much for the average do-it-yourself'er. But i give you props man that looks awesome.
Thanks. I'm not going to say it was easy, but basically any electronics repair place that you can find locally, should be able to do this mod. If not go to your local Chinatown and find places that mod LED's for cell phones, they are similar sized LED's and the people should be very experienced in doing this kind of work. Plus these LED's are a lot easier to get to than cell phone LED's, trust me - I know. You may have to flip a bill or two but trust me when I say it's damn worth it to have this in your car, and making it look stock, makes it so much better. It was worth it, in my opinion.

Hmmmmmm.... maybe I should just start a side job and do LED mod's for people... hehehe No but seriously I'm too busy with my real job as it is. Maybe I should just trade you my head unit and charge for the difference in cost and labor for swapping the LED's. hahaha I really have to think about that one a lot cause it was a lot of trouble.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Nice set up. Really looks clean. Thanks for sharing the install.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Banned

Sweet job. How long did that take??? like 10 hrs or 3 days????
Old 10-08-2004, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XBman
Sweet job. How long did that take??? like 10 hrs or 3 days????
Thanks everyone for your comments. The install really only takes about 1 - 2 hours at most, but it took me a better part of the afternoon until midnight to figure out how to take the dash out and where the wires were.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member

ok i have one queestion can i do this to the tc as well?
Old 01-28-2005, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To be honest, I'm not sure because I don't know anyone with a tC that has one installed. Most of the tC's I read on here usually install the Eclipse AVN2454, Kenwood DDX7015, or Pioneer AVIC-N1 (Soon to be AVIC-N2). But I've seen the clearance with the radio door on the tC's and I think it should still be able to close.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member

can we get a picture of the antenna, i want to see how it looks to see where it can be mounted on a scion tC
Old 01-30-2005, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here ya go -->

It's the tiny black square mounted on the piece of metal with 2 screws. The plate can be removed and the antenna mounted possibly anywhere with double sided tape. I've even mounted it to the underside of the top dash for a discrete look and it was still very accurate but at the same time covert. The dimensions are roughly 1" x 1" x 0.4" (actually smaller since this is just going by what I remember and an eyeball measurement.) Hope it helps.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry here it is, I messed up on the picture
Old 01-30-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also if anyone was interested in the plug and play video input module that is soon to be available. the developors have just recently released video that shows their module in operation. It is a very sweet unit because it does several things other than just pipe video to your navi. It has the function to press the pesky "I Agree" key. It allows full functionality while the vehicle is in motion. It still also allows for a cd changer or XM addon. You can also plug in a iPod and the song name and touchscreen buttons for some functionality appear on the screen. All this added functionality without splicing any wires and without interrupting any of the navi's normal operation. Here's the link to the video http://www.coastaletech.com/test_video.htm. No pricing yet but as being the first to come up with a plug and play solution, it might not be cheap.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

i like my avic n1 better =)

Quick Reply: Camry Navigation Install