xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

Clock LED Modification

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wgeee7478
Alright hotbox05 after some looking around the web, I think I've found what you were looking for.

LED Bulb covers
Autometer Light Bulb Covers

Colored LED replacements:
http://autolumination.com/74.htm (#74 LED)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm (second from the bottom)
http://www.lightlens.com/coloredbulbs.htm (last table at the bottom of the page)
I personally haven't tried any of these so I don't know if they are the exact fit. But that's the whole point of the game, "You have to pay to play." So if you do decide to order them, tell us if they are correct or not. I'm fairly certain that these are it but I don't have any and I don't intend to change the color of my console because I've struggled enough to get the Navi LED's to match. I'm not about to go through that ordeal anytime soon. Hope this helps you out.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

how much of a difference in brightness will there be between the glass #74 bulbs and the led #74 replacements?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wgeee7478
Originally Posted by rallyxb
Nice job.

I love the 2004 Camry Navigation system.
How much was it?
How difficult was the hook up?

What happened to the CD/radio?
Here ya go man, all the information you wanted and then some...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23214

But the concise version to answer you questions.
it cost me about $1500 from Troy @ http://www.oemvalue.com because I was supposedly the first Scion to purchase from him and get him pics of my installation.

It was very easy to install, I've helped saicow install his and I know coasterlvr has installed his and has his own pics also. He's connected an IPOD to it and also a reverse camera. You really only need to hook up the reverse wire and the speed sense wire, everything else was plug and play.

As for my old single cd head unit, I traded it in to Troy for credit so I could cut the cost of that system even more.

Hope this answers all your questions.

Sweet! Thank man.
Nice job!
Old 10-05-2004, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
how much of a difference in brightness will there be between the glass #74 bulbs and the led #74 replacements?
I honestly don't know because I haven't really looked at it yet. But if the bulbs that are currently in our HVAC controls now are LED's, the #74 LED replacements should have a similar light output.. But honestly LED's weren't really meant for brightness, that's why you have to cluster a whole bunch of them together to get them bright enough to work as a tail lamp or something. The bulbs will probably be a little bit brighter, but since the size is so small, the difference is really minimal. Hope this helps you. :D
Old 10-05-2004, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the ones in hvac are incandescent . i just bought 4 sets. 1 of hyper blue incandescent , hyper blue led , blue incandescent , blue led , so i'll try em out and report. i also was able to find red 7440 bulbs. for red turn signals. nice!!!. all in all it only cost me 23.00 or sumptin for all of the above. not bad . still cant find any white or blue smd leds for the clock tho.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the ones in hvac are incandescent . i just bought 4 sets. 1 of hyper blue incandescent , hyper blue led , blue incandescent , blue led , so i'll try em out and report. i also was able to find red 7440 bulbs. for red turn signals. nice!!!. all in all it only cost me 23.00 or sumptin for all of the above. not bad . still cant find any white or blue smd leds for the clock tho.
Hey hotbox05 thanks for the report, keep us updated on what you find. Anyway, here are the direct links to the SMD LED's you asked about. They are 1206 so they're just a hair bigger than the original but they will work fine.

Link --> Super White 1206 SMD LED
Link --> Super Blue 1206 SMD LED

Hope this helps you. :D
Old 10-06-2004, 08:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

you can't buy less than 15? damn...... im not sure as to wheter i want blue or white ones shizer....................maybe i can buy the white ones and if i decide to go blue then i can sharpie them? ....... shoot is there any site that sells them singularly?
Old 10-06-2004, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can't buy less than 15? damn...... im not sure as to wheter i want blue or white ones shizer....................maybe i can buy the white ones and if i decide to go blue then i can sharpie them? ....... shoot is there any site that sells them singularly?
Yeap, that's one of the reasons I went to a a local shop instead. Anyway, since you are up in Sacramento, check these guys out. If they don't have any, they should be able to tell you another local place to get them.

HSC Electronic Supply of Sacramento
4837 Amber Lane
Sacramento, California 95841
(916) 338-2545
(916) 338-1689 FAX
Hours: Mon - Fri 9AM - 6PM, Sat 9AM - 5PM

It's either this or by 15 and keep/sell 11 of them as part's in the private section.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another thing that I just thought of too. You can look around for cell phone shops that do phone led color modifications. Usually I find a lot of the asian stores will do this mod and they will have whites and blues. I believe some Nokia and Moto phone's use a similar size LED also. It doesn't have to be exact but it does have to be at least very close to the original size otherwise you run into problems of trying to solder directly to the pads. Heck they might even be able to do the soldering for you if you ask.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Measuring the size of the LED's they measure approximately 3.0mm x 1.5mm which should be a 1106 sized SMT LED.
Do you mean SMD?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VanillaRice
Measuring the size of the LED's they measure approximately 3.0mm x 1.5mm which should be a 1106 sized SMT LED.
Do you mean SMD?
Yeah you could call it whichever way you want. I use the terms interchangeably because they both pretty much mean the same thing.

SMT = Surface Mount Technology
SMD = Surface Mount Device
Old 10-06-2004, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah you could call it whichever way you want. I use the terms interchangeably because they both pretty much mean the same thing.

SMT = Surface Mount Technology
SMD = Surface Mount Device
Rock on! Just wanted to make sure I had the right terms down. I have always heared SMD and was curious if it was the same thing. Thanks, great info on the DIY.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hsc didn't have em ......
Old 10-07-2004, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

found a place http://us.digikey.com/scripts/dksear...?KeywordSearch. kinda expensive tho. i unno whatever pain in the ****.........
Old 10-07-2004, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

found a place http://us.digikey.com/scripts/dksear...?KeywordSearch. kinda expensive tho. i unno whatever pain in the ****.........
Yeah Digikey most certainly has everything. My work order's from them sometimes if we have no place else to turn to for parts. They're expensive because they're are a distributor and usually sell bulk items to company's. They're kind of similar to CDW or OfficeDepot. If there is no other alternative I guess this would be the way to go. Also I forgot to mention that if you are going to order off interenet. You'll probably want to order a couple extra, just in case some don't work or if you mess up, then you'll have some spares handy. Have you tried PM'ing some of the other people? Perhaps they want in too, than you can try to buy in bulk and then just split the cost. Sorry, couldn't be of more help, just been busy at work. When I get a chance, I'll see if I can look up some other places that might have them.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright I found some blue SMD LED's in 1206, which like I said should work fine.

The first one has a typical MCD (brightness) level of 8.
Link --> http://www.eled.com/product.asp?cata...id=EPTR3216MBC

The second one has a typical MCD level of 45.
Link --> http://www.eled.com/product.asp?cata..._id=EPT3216PBC

The higher the MCD the brighter. Usually with darker colors such as blue or purple, you might want to try the the higher brightness. It might be a little too bright and overpowering though so you might also think about the first one. The one's I have are pretty bright, not sure of the MCD value as there was no spec sheet given, so if you look at it closely you'll see the 4 led's, but it doesn't bother me so I'll leave it be. So like I said, since there are 4 led's you probably could get away with first one, and it should give you a nice even blue. Just my $.02.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ok i tried the #74 bulbs for the ac and didn't work so it's back to the drawing board. i was able to take a sharpie to the light tubes and voila it worked. sweet. not like i wasted 16 bucks or nothin lol. oh wait i did
Old 10-10-2004, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok i tried the #74 bulbs for the ac and didn't work so it's back to the drawing board. i was able to take a sharpie to the light tubes and voila it worked. sweet. not like i wasted 16 bucks or nothin lol. oh wait i did
Alright thanks for the update man, sorry to hear it didn't work out. It's like I said, you gotta pay to play and sometimes it doesn't always work out but at least now the rest of us know. Anyway, what was wrong about the fitting of the #74 bulbs? Wrong size, socket didn't fit, not bright enough...? A comparision pic of the bulbs would be nice if you can provide them. :D
Old 10-11-2004, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

well i thought the #74's would slide into the socket but the socket and the bulb are integral. darn right bulb size tho
Old 10-11-2004, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm... I wonder if there is a way to retrofit them. I will have to look more into this when I get a chance. Not because I plan to change them but once I get involved with a problem I usually try to solve it using any means possible and I hate to see it unfinished. Thanks for the update though. Also I went ahead and updated the Blue LED thread too regarding the #74 bulbs. So I take it you just got the #74 wedge bulbs and not the ones with the base right? :D

Quick Reply: Clock LED Modification