Notices
xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

Cruise Control Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member

Default Cruise Control Adjustment

My cruise control did not react fast enough. When I would go up a hill or pass a semi, the box would slow down and then speed back up gradually. I called Rosta and got the switch positions to make it react quicker and it has made a big difference.
If you open the black box that the cable comes out of,(#10 torx) you will see a series of micro switches numbered 1 thru 12. You only have to adjust the first two, Leave The Rest Of Them ALONE!!! If switch 1 and 2 are down (default position) That is the least sensitive. 1 up and 2 down are more sensitive, 1 down and 2 up is where I have mine, and 1 up and 2 up is the most sensitive, which you probably don't want. Give it a try and report back!!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Great to know. I'll take a look at mine at lunch
Old 02-06-2007, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member

Very Nice ....

I may have had a problem and may have fixed it...in any case...you have done a very nice thing.

I'll check in the warmth of my garage when I get home tonight....about ZERO wind chill today in Washington DC...and I printed out your SHARED SPECS for switched 1 and 2.

Love my RF switch...by the way...topside of the wheel to match up with my right hand in the 2 o'clock position...just trigger with the thumb without moving the hand....or looking.

Many thanks..................
Old 02-13-2007, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just want to thank Davex for posting this tech bit. I opened my cruise and changed the dip switches like he did and it made it a whole new beast. I have never been satisfied before this with the cruise because it was so sluggish. Works GREAT now.
thanks
upshift..
Old 02-13-2007, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member

I thought this would be good information, You're Welcome!
Old 02-13-2007, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow...and I knew there had to be some sort of adjustment for the sluggish cruise....Thanks for the info
Old 02-13-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good job you know there is a recall in the works on that and if you want to adjust it the ajdustment is right next to the throttle body.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I took a brief look at mine and didn't see the torx bolts.Do I need to take it out of the bracket? I installed the cruise myself and just don't remember seeing those bolts. Thanks
Old 02-14-2007, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member

Yes, blimey you have to remove the two 10mm bolts on the top and turn it over. You will probably see a sticker that says not to remove the cover.

ifeldwn, You are talking about a different adjustment for a different problem.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by DavesX
Yes, blimey you have to remove the two 10mm bolts on the top and turn it over. You will probably see a sticker that says not to remove the cover.

ifeldwn, You are talking about a different adjustment for a different problem.
Thanks,I just wanted to confirm.I remember the sticker.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member

Sweet -- I thought mine was just installed improperly. Gonna try this!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Cruise Control Sensitivity

Originally Posted by DavesX
My cruise control did not react fast enough. When I would go up a hill or pass a semi, the box would slow down and then speed back up gradually. I called Rostra and got the switch positions to make it react quicker and it has made a big difference.
If you open the black box that the cable comes out of,(#10 torx) you will see a series of micro switches numbered 1 through 12. You only have to adjust the first two, Leave The Rest Of Them ALONE!!! If switch 1 and 2 are down (default position) That is the least sensitive. 1 up and 2 down are more sensitive, 1 down and 2 up is where I have mine, and 1 up and 2 up is the most sensitive, which you probably don't want. Give it a try and report back!!
I nominate this for post of the year - you rock

I had to void the warranty on my Rostra (dealer paid for it to be installed at an authorized shop) but it was well worth it. In the default position this cruise was as bad as the OEM model in my old 80's Pontoon 6000 company car. You set it for 60 and go 55 up the hills and 65 down them. The potential warranty void was worth it, since the cruise was about useless as installed.

In my car the Rosta is mounted "upside down" - the panel with the torx screws is on the bottom. I disconnected the wiring harness - pop off the orange retaining clip then pull the connector out. Then take out the 2 10mm bolts holding it to the bracket. Slit the "warranty void" label (either one) and remove the 4 torx screws to get at the dip switches.

The switches are labelled 1-12 -left to right.

To make the switch settings clearer it is binary:

Switch 2 Switch 1 Value Setting
-----------------------------------------
Off Off 0 Least sensitive (default)
Off On 1 More sensitive
On Off 2 Even more sensitive
On On 3 Most sensitive

Like DavesX mine was on 0, the default, and I changed it to 2. Now if I set it at 60 it may drop to 59 going up a hill and hit 61 doing down. Much, much better. For kicks, I may try the 3 "most sensitive" setting to see if it locks it on 60 exactly.

Remember, the lower the setting the greater the speed variation but also the greater the potential MPGs. The higher the setting the lower the speed variations but also lower MPGs.

Thanks DavesX!

Dennis
Old 07-19-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Def. gonna try this. To this point I had been just kicking it out of overdrive before the "climb". Now I won't have to thanks much. You def. rock!!!
Just a question...? Are they actually labled 1-12 so I don't adjust #11 instead of #2? I'm gonna leave #1 alone and adjust 2 to the up position. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
Def. gonna try this. To this point I had been just kicking it out of overdrive before the "climb". Now I won't have to thanks much. You def. rock!!!
Just a question...? Are they actually labeled 1-12 so I don't adjust #11 instead of #2? I'm gonna leave #1 alone and adjust 2 to the up position. Thanks.
They are clearly labelled 1-12, you should have no problems. Just make sure you have that stupid T10 torx handy, I got it out of the bracket and then could not find the stupid torx bit. Finally did, then dropped the bit down into the car! I finally found that and fished it out and got the change finished. I ordered a couple of cheap torx screwdrivers from Amazon the next day, a lot easier to find than the stupid bit.

Why not be brave and go for 3 with both on? Then you can report back how it does - I would predict it would be rock steady on the set speed and not have the +-1mph I see with it set to 2. Once you have changed it you will see how easy it is and can change it back.

Depending on how much slack was left in the harness on your install, you may can get the cover off and switches changed w/o disconnecting the wiring which would save you some time.

Dennis
Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Completed the mod. It took maybe 10 minutes. Sure enough it holds the speed way better now! Thanks for this info very much!!!!
Only problem was the O-ring wanted to pop out. Just make sure it's in the slot before putting plate back in place so it doesn't get cut. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2007, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

how did I miss this for 6 months????

I can't wait to try it, hope it solves the slow/fast problem.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by dugzillaxb

I can't wait to try it, hope it solves the slow/fast problem.
It's so easy. It will solve the problem. I've been dealing with this for 3 years. Is so much nicer!
I'd like to know why it wasn't set like that from the factory???
Old 08-07-2007, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

That is a good question, makes you wonder if they did any real world testing on the units before selling them?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

They were prolly set up for the echos. That would account for the inaccuracies.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

^^I believe you are correct sir!

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Adjustment