Finally got the fuel filter and fuel pump sock in from the dealership, and since no one has done it yet, id figure id tackle it. BUT before we get started....as usual
Disclaimer: Not responsible for any mishaps, such as sudden explosion, fires, death ,or any malfunctions broken parts that happen to your car!!!
NOTE: NO OPEN FIRE/FLAMES OR SMOKING IN OR AROUND CAR WHILE DOING THIS MAINT.!!!! DO IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA!!!!!
Parts youll want to buy from the dealership.
fuel filter assembly_________________________________________$40
fuel pump filter:_________A.K.A., pump sock____________________$9
O-ring:________________on top of the filter assembly ___________few$$ if not cents
Round clip:_____________hold the pump filter on________________few $$ if not cents
Tools: the usual....
Socket set/ratchet..... 1/4 or 3/8 drive
oil drain pan
A few facts: As a rule, a fuel filter should be changed at 30,000 miles. But i ran almost 88000 miles on mine. A way you can tell, once youve pulled the fuel filter, if its dirty is by blowing through it, youll feel resistance to air flow if dirty. But on the Scion xB, i think once youve gotten the filter out...you dont care, your gonna change it!!
Allrighty then, lets get started!!! You gonna have to pull the back seats. Their easy to remove, your gonna have to remove the storage comp. and spare tire and foam. After thats removed, look for 3 bolts on the floor connecting the seat, And one in the front, just lift on the front of the seat, 2 snap type connects hold it down. Theres a bolt to the front of the bar the the 3 back bolts are conencted to, remove it. On the lower end of each corner of the backrest, youll find on the back a bracket bolted to the backrest, unbolt each, the seat should remove, its quite heavy for its size!!!
NOW the seats removed....to the fuel filter.
1. Youll see the square cut out in the carpet, lift it up, theres velcro on one side. Lift it. Once its lifted up, youll notice a black peice of rubber, remove it, keep it, it protects the wire harness.
2. Take a flathead screw driver and find the tab to the drives side bottom of the cover. Take the flathead and pry on that spot, if you dont, youll bend the metal cover, not a real big deal. Once lifted, try to keep from getting dirt on the black tacky type glue used to hold it down, and do not remove it!!!! At this time, remove the 2 wire harnesses. The one with the double arrows(in the picture below) is a little pain, I had to push pretty hard, I heard a click and it popped right off. Once you have the harnesses unclipped, set them to the side with the cover.
3. Now take this time to clean around the cover, this way you dont knock any loose dirt into your tank. Also, pop your hood, and start your engine and let it stall, you just relieived the fuel pressure. Also, remove the Neg. battery terminal. Look for the fuel line too. Youll have to remove clamp cover, just push down. For saftey purposes, hold a towl under the connection, fuel will squirt out!!! Squeeze the 2 gray tabs, and pull, itll slide off.
4. To the rear of the car again. Look for the line with the yellow clamp, youll have to remove it, do not throw away, youll need it when reinstalling!!. yet again, have a towl ready for any fuel that may be in the lines. I didnt get a good pic, so i fixed this one to help show where to look.
5. Youll also want to remove a bracket over the other fuel line, 2 bolts and its removed, bad pic, but you get the point.
6. Remove both lines, the one that had the clip, pulls right off. the other line, push in on, push the 2 tabs in, and pull, should slide off. Put each line in a bag to prevent and dirt getting in them.
7. Go ahead and remove the rest of the bolts on top. Set them to the side. Have a oil catch can to the side. Start to pull the pump/filter assembly out, but be careful, and watch for the float and pump sock. When you remove it, place it in the oil catch can to prevent getting fuel in your car.
8. Your gonna want to remove the float from the sender board next. Push down slightly, and slide it out from the other 2 tab its locked under, you can see the 2 tabs in the pic, the arrow points to the tab you push down on. sorry for the bad quality picture!!
9. Remove the connector for the float level board...nuff said
10. Time to take the level sender off. Push down on the tab(arrow in the pic) and push the level sender board down.
11. Remove the cover from the bottom of the filter assembly, push on the 3 tabs the arrow points to. After they are unclipped the other side will be easy...NOTE: these 3 tabs will provide it easier to remove the cover.
12. Remove the rubber cap...nuff said.
14. Your gonna want to remove the connector to the fuel pump, its on the top of the pump, it pushes out easliy. at this same time, remove the pump sock, a tiny round clip holds it on, youll use the new one here. Pull the pump out....you may have to take a screw driver on the top of the motor and push it out, its in tight. Youll want to remove the fuel pressure reg. Its in tight to.
15. Your gonna want to separate the suction plate and filter assembly now, use a flat head to disconnenct the clips, its a bit difficult. When its separated, look on the top of the new filter assembly, next to the black......round thing, make sure you put the O-ring in there, otherwise youll get no pressure!!
16. Putting it together, reverse the steps.
WERE NOT DONE YET!!!!
A few important ending tips. When its ALL installed, make sure you connect the fuel line in the engine compartment!! Connect the battery. OK thats done, put the keys in the ignition, but dont start but turn to (ON), you want to build fuel pressure first, so wait a few minutes. should start after a few tries if done correctly.
Hope this helps anyone that wants to do this maint on their car and not go to the dealership. Good luck!!!