Toyota North America Reports Strong May Sales in Weakening Market
Truck, SUV and hybrid models all on the rise, despite other manufacturers struggling as auto sales soften worldwide.
Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) reported May 2019 sales of 222,174 vehicles, an increase of 3.2 percent on a volume and daily selling rate (DSR) basis versus May 2018.
Toyota division posted May sales of 197,637 units, up 4.1 percent on a volume and DSR basis. Meanwhile, Lexus division posted May sales of 24,537 vehicles, down 3.4 percent on a volume and DSR basis.
May 2019 Highlights
- RAV4 sales up 13.9 percent; marking its best-ever sales month
- Tacoma sales up 6.8 percent; achieving 19 consecutive months of increased sales
- Toyota light trucks achieved best-ever May, with 122,324 vehicles sold
- Corolla Hatchback sales increased 10.0 percent; marking an all-time best-ever sales month
- Mirai sales increased 143.1 percent; a best-ever May
- Camry sales increased 20.8 percent
- Avalon sales increased 21.8 percent
- Sienna sales increased 13.7 percent
- Land Cruiser sales increased 10.4 percent
- Tundra sales increased 5.9 percent
- Total Toyota Hybrid sales up 44.7 percent
- ES sales increased 23.9 percent
- RXh sales increased 2.4 percent
- Total Lexus Hybrid sales up 40.1 percent