Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Cobalt SS Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually though i liked the looks of the tc more i like the cobalt a lot more overall, but the gas mileage they say is off..im averaging around 21-22 mpg.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and no mommy doesnt pay for everything i work 40 hours a week to get what i have thanks for the comments though
Old 05-19-2006, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nebraska_tC
and no offense jethro_b but if you had some real taste you would have bought a tc not an xb
wow
Old 05-19-2006, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd rather get the 06 Cobalt SS 2.4L
170hp NA engine for better gas mileage that runs on regular.

I've read some reviews that state the steering and handling are not good compared to an rsx or mazda3. How does it compare to the tC?
Old 05-20-2006, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

and no offense jethro_b but if you had some real taste you would have bought a tc not an xb
Nothing against the tc but IMO the looks of the xb are far superior to the tc not to mention the ergonomics and fuel mileage.
BTW, How can you work 40 hours a week while your still in high school.. and when do you get to enjoy the car between school and work?? I can only imagine what the insurance would be on a Colbalt ss.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

well, my dad bought me the car..
and no mommy doesnt pay for everything i work 40 hours a week to get what i have thanks for the comments though
Contradict much?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member

Default ahhhh.....

Toyotas' aren't all that people.....including the not so great tc w/it's not quite a performance engine borrowed from the CAMRY. One only has to go look at the civic ( mainly the SI ) to realize that. Cheaper, better put together, way nicer interior than a tc could ever hope for, and for a little FWD car, the performance aint so bad. But, back on topic, I'd still buy a Cobalt SS over a civic or tc. Come on, the ecotec is one of the best 4 bangers out there as far as performance potential. Totally underated, as most GM engines are. Not to mention a real performance pkg available w/ Recaro seats, limited slip diff, etc.. Unlike Toyota, Honda, and most foreign nameplates, their( GMs' ) horsepower ratings went UP under the new SAE ratings, not DOWN like the better than everything out their imports....you'all catching on to my sarcasm here? After all, isn't a sport compact supposed to be about the SPORT, not the supposedly better interior. And yes, before all you youngins' ( I'm creeping up on 30 y/o) jump on me...I've driven the TC and the Cobalt SS supercharged. No comparison. SS hands down. Ok, I'm tired of typing, but that's just my $0 .02!

Oh, I own 2 Toyotas' by the way for all those who were thinking I was a good 'ol boy.
'04 Matrix XRS (water pump and the A/C compressor clutch just replaced under warranty- I thought Toyotas' were perfect ). And my new toy....an '07 FJ Cruiser -6 speed manual of course.

Cheers!
Old 05-30-2006, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

What is your purpose here?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciontCya
X2
Doesn't matter how good the motor is on the SS. It's still a freakin Chevy pile O Poop. Until the American automobile industry can rid themselves of the UAW, the big 3 are headed to bankruptcy. They will never be able to head to head with the Asian brands period.....
Old 05-30-2006, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Troll.
We know better, and BTW, the tC is not a Sport Coupe. Although it's just dandy for me, I don't think SCION has any pretenses that a stock, non-SC tC is a race car.

Like a Winblows guy in a Mac fourm (no offense to you Win guys) ;)

Scott
Old 05-30-2006, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jethro_b
X2
Doesn't matter how good the motor is on the SS. It's still a freakin Chevy pile O Poop. Until the American automobile industry can rid themselves of the UAW, the big 3 are headed to bankruptcy. They will never be able to head to head with the Asian brands period.....
From the JD Powers website:

The automotive industry records an impressive 12 percent improvement in long-term vehicle quality, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2005 Vehicle Dependability Study

General Motors models earn eight segment awards and Ford Motor Company models receive five segments awards —a record for both GM and Ford in VDS. Toyota Motor Corporation models receive four awards.

Chevrolet captures the most segment awards, with the Prizm (compact car), Malibu (entry midsize car), S-10 Pickup (midsize pickup) and Silverado HD (heavy-duty full-size pickup) each earning an award in their respective segments. Ford receives three segment awards, for the Thunderbird (entry luxury car), Windstar (midsize van) and E-Series (full-size van).
Old 05-30-2006, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

JD Power and CU (Consumer Reports) are not very reliable as far as their "studies"
I'm not at all shocked that an American company would try to blow some life into the Big Three in the US as they are on the way to a really bad place.
I think they are getting better, but it may be too little too late.
Anyone that says a new GM or Ford will work as well or last as long as a Toyota/Honda is not living in reality.

Scott
Old 05-30-2006, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Those "awards " come with too many strings and aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Samurai_Hack
buddy of mine just picked up a supercharged ss... he really can't buy anything else though... he's a GM baby so he gets GMS price... all his cars have been GM.... it's a nice little ride... I get to abuse it this weekend when we go pick up his R6 from his ex's house.... think I'll try an be nice but that little car moves....
R6? My cousin has a Cobalt, just not SS I think. Have fun with ur new whip!
Old 05-30-2006, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kwicslvr
Originally Posted by jethro_b
X2
From the JD Powers website:

The automotive industry records an impressive 12 percent improvement in long-term vehicle quality, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2005 Vehicle Dependability Study

General Motors models earn eight segment awards and Ford Motor Company models receive five segments awards —a record for both GM and Ford in VDS. Toyota Motor Corporation models receive four awards.

Chevrolet captures the most segment awards, with the Prizm (compact car), Malibu (entry midsize car), S-10 Pickup (midsize pickup) and Silverado HD (heavy-duty full-size pickup) each earning an award in their respective segments. Ford receives three segment awards, for the Thunderbird (entry luxury car), Windstar (midsize van) and E-Series (full-size van).
That's nice. Now, just go to lots all over town. Drive 100k mi versions of as many cars as you can find, but specifically focus on accords, civics, corollas, camrys, and everything else American in the same catagory. Then when you want to host a marshmellow roast with those awards, let us know, because you will notice a significant difference.

Or, you can go buy a Colbalt, then try to trade in 3 years. When what you owe is 6k higher than what the vehicle is worth, offer to throw in some some JD Powers awards.

BTW, the Prizm is a Corolla.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Funny Stuff Bro! LMAO
Old 06-05-2006, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member

Eh, figured I would post to defend my lil chevy a bit. I'm honestly not here to flame, just gonna list a few things about the balt that hasn't been mentioned.

I absolutely love the TC (my g/f has a RS 2.0 ordered) and might have gone with one over the SS if the TC would have had a little more room to mod and give me track numbers close to what I'm getting with the SS. A few things to note with the Ecotecs used is that the 2.0s in the SS/SC come with forged connecting rods and cranks which gives a lot more leeway as far as mods go. Pistons are not however (grrr) but GM states they will handle up to 300hp before needing swapped with forged ones. (source - http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersou..._250-600hp.pdf ) The torque curve for the Ecotecs is extremely flat and is much easier than an import to keep pulling on a drag strip rather than trying to fight to keep the motor at its peak torque. Also a 7K redline means one less shift on the strip as well

As for price of the car, its not too hard to get one at invoice ( I paid 19.5K with all options except LSD and Onstar) with a little shopping around. Taking a hit on residual value down the road is personally worth it to me if I can run mid 13s with a few bolt ons and autocross AND beat SRT-4s and WRXs.

Overall I feel both cars are worth every dollar spent on them and would defend either one on any forum. Just would like to see more of these forced induction TCs at tracks so I have a better idea at what they can do.

http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersou...build_book.htm This is our little gem given to us by GM that a lot of people from cobaltss.net have been following with awesome results.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, the cobalt ss is gone and now I have a 2003 350z with dc sports headers, injen pop charger, greddy exhaust, tein lowering springs, ss grill, 19x8.5 front and 20x10.5 rear. The car is amazing, I got rid of the ss because everything just seemed like it wasn't the quality I had with the tC nothing was too bad but it never felt like as nice of a car and I thought it was going to. Ill post some pics up
Old 09-05-2006, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some pictures of the new car are in my profile, I'll update them next week when I've put the new nismo bumper on with clear corners. Any suggestions of what to do to the car are welcome!
Old 09-06-2006, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As mentioned earlier in the thread, with $1000 you can get the SS/SC up to 265whp/TQ wich is a lot of power for a car that light. With proper traction that could be high 12's. I like both cars a lot but I like power so I would probably go with the SS/SC due to modability on the performance side. That's just my opinion though.