Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   All Other Vehicles (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/all-other-vehicles-1643/)
-   -   GTR, can't hang with the big boys! (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/all-other-vehicles-1643/gtr-cant-hang-big-boys-148759/)

1tc4u2nv 10-14-2008 09:56 PM

GTR, can't hang with the big boys!

For the GTRs fanbois, take a baby aspirin to prevent any possible heart attack. Enjoy.
http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/mo...t_nurburgring/

CDogbert 10-14-2008 10:10 PM

Meh, Nissan says they beat Porsche. Porsche says they beat Nissan. Who are you going to believe? I say neither, because it's not like it matters. It's all PR.

draxcaliber 10-14-2008 10:34 PM

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/09/n...hurt-yourself/

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/13/n...ond-video-and/

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/03/n...t-r-ring-time/

InfiniteVisi0n 10-14-2008 10:57 PM

haha..what does the article say, "Porsche has just run its own back-to-back tests with the Japanese company's GT-R supercar and says it could not get within 25 seconds of Nissan's claimed record time of seven minutes 29 seconds in April." Yea ok, any testing done from a competitors perspective is going to be a little bias. First of all weather conditions can never be exactly the same, second Nissan's original record was achieved by an F1 driver compared to a Rally driver who was said to be an expert on that tract, and third Porsche didnt even use there best lap driver.

draxcaliber 10-15-2008 01:22 AM

the only way to truly verify this issue is to hand the keys over to sabine smidt and the stig. if anybody can find their true lap times, it's them.

InfiniteVisi0n 10-15-2008 02:12 AM

^^true that

scionBoy86 10-15-2008 06:21 AM

its doesn't matter if u ask anyone today in this world what car u would rather drive and be seen on they'll choose the Porsche oVER A NISSAN...there is a reason why they are the worlds #1 profittable automaker..they make over 20k each porsche they sell..they are the #1 sellin exotic car in the world

watch they are gonna build a porsche that eats that gtr for breakfast in a couple months that only cost 50k..i guarntee u

CDogbert 10-15-2008 06:47 AM

:doh:

I wouldn't choose a Porsche over a Nissan, first of all; the engine's in the wrong place. Also, there are way better cars to spend $100k on.

Second, THEY say they are the world's most profitable automaker, just like they say the 997 GT3 can beat the GT-R around the Ring. If you actually ever pay attention to the automotive industry, you'll notice that Porsche tends to say a lot of things that you could safely ignore.

Aside from the Carrera GT, Porsche does not make an exotic car. The Veyron, the Enzo, the Ford GT... those are exotic cars. The 911 series are just sports cars.

And considering the only Porsche you can buy for under $50k is a base model, no-frills Boxster... I don't think they'll be expanding on your claim anytime soon.

equinox2355 10-15-2008 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by CDogbert
:doh:

I wouldn't choose a Porsche over a Nissan, first of all; the engine's in the wrong place. Also, there are way better cars to spend $100k on.

Second, THEY say they are the world's most profitable automaker, just like they say the 997 GT3 can beat the GT-R around the Ring. If you actually ever pay attention to the automotive industry, you'll notice that Porsche tends to say a lot of things that you could safely ignore.

Aside from the Carrera GT, Porsche does not make an exotic car. The Veyron, the Enzo, the Ford GT... those are exotic cars. The 911 series are just sports cars.

And considering the only Porsche you can buy for under $50k is a base model, no-frills Boxster... I don't think they'll be expanding on your claim anytime soon.

As its been said on top gear, the Porsche is an over priced VW Beetle (as far as looks) and yes the engine is "in the wrong place" by most standards, however the point of it being directly over the rear wheels is to give positive traction to the drive wheels (rwd).

Don't get me wrong, Porsche cars are nice, however if given the choice I would gladly take the GT-R over any Porsche or any exotic. My reasoning is due to how much performance you get per dollar. Sure there are more expensive cars, but for what you'd get for your money (even with the inflated nissan dealer prices on the GT-R) you still come out ahead on the GT-R, and it looks darn sexy (especially with the in-car electronics)

InfiniteVisi0n 10-15-2008 08:06 AM

I would choose a tC...

scionBoy86 10-15-2008 03:35 PM

doesn't matter in the of the day more civilians would choose a porsche over a nissan...more history better name...it like comparing SONY to AUDIOVOX

some people wanna jus be seen with that name badge in front of the car...and porsche has VW by its side and dont forget Bugatti,lamborghini,Audi,Bentley is part of the vag so dont give me that they cant make a car that can beat it cause they have the best engineers in the world from all car makers workin together

Bugatti Veyron which is the fastest production car and most incredible machine over made by man...was engineered by VAG(VW,Audi,Lamborghini,Bentley) and Porsche

lil_will 10-15-2008 03:38 PM

I'll take the GTR.

CDogbert 10-15-2008 06:08 PM

I've actually been boycotting all Sony products for quite some time now, so I'd have to take the Audiovox.

And where do you get off saying Nissan is the Audiovox of the world? Nissan's revenue for 2007 was $88.77 billion USD, and Porsche's was $9.87 billion USD in 2006... and, well, that's quite a lot more than Porsche.

So let me get this straight, you're saying the 997 GT3 is better than the GT-R just because it has a Porsche badge on it? The amount of fanboy shilling coming from you is reaching delightful levels.

Here's the bottom line, Porsche will never make a 911 for under $100,000 USD, and if they do, it probably won't beat the GT-R around the Ring.

Also, Porsche had nothing to do with the Veyron.

1tc4u2nv 10-16-2008 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by CDogbert
I've actually been boycotting all Sony products for quite some time now, so I'd have to take the Audiovox.

And where do you get off saying Nissan is the Audiovox of the world? Nissan's revenue for 2007 was $88.77 billion USD, and Porsche's was $9.87 billion USD in 2006... and, well, that's quite a lot more than Porsche.

So let me get this straight, you're saying the 997 GT3 is better than the GT-R just because it has a Porsche badge on it? The amount of fanboy shilling coming from you is reaching delightful levels.

Here's the bottom line, Porsche will never make a 911 for under $100,000 USD, and if they do, it probably won't beat the GT-R around the Ring.

Also, Porsche had nothing to do with the Veyron.

but then again the 911's tranny won't drop from under the car after 30-40 launches.

scionBoy86 10-17-2008 04:30 PM

hahhahah trannys are dumpin like hot cakes on the gtrs hhahahhaha

such a RELIEABLE car hahahahha

CarbonXe 10-17-2008 04:32 PM

Nissan still hasn't supplied proof that the 7:29 was a production model of the GT-R.

Regardless, The Vette ZR1 raped it on the Ring. And let's not forget that the Viper is the new record holder.

I've said it many times before, the GTR is a disgrace to the automotive world. It's a step BACK in terms of performance.

http://www.motortrend.com/av/feature...deo/index.html

7 seconds is a lot of time, especially when the Viper still had 2 misshifts and was very poorly gear for the track.

couper2 10-23-2008 08:53 PM

Sounds like Porsche is sweating and scratching for any excuse. Porsches are great cars, Eventho I'd kill to have a Caman S, Porsches are not the end all of sport cars. The GTR is a great car. I'd say both cars are on par with each other. If the money was within reach, and the GTR's price is very reachable, anyone should be just as proud to own one as a Porsche.

AlanW 10-24-2008 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by scionBoy86
watch they are gonna build a porsche that eats that gtr for breakfast in a couple months that only cost 50k..i guarntee u

I want to make a bet with you. Real bet, $500. You said a couple of months. If that happens before December, I will wire you the money immediately. Accept it or just don't bring your Porsche fanboy talk in here. I'm not denying that the GT3 (and RS) is a good car, but they are at least $30,000 apart (GT3 base is $105,000 and GT-R base is $76,000). That's a whole economy car price tag apart. Regardless of how fast the GT-R can go around the Ring, you can not deny that it is an incredible piece of engineering and quite possibly the best bang for the buck for fast and great handling cars in the market right now.

Originally Posted by scionBoy86
Bugatti Veyron which is the fastest production car and most incredible machine over made by man...was engineered by VAG(VW,Audi,Lamborghini,Bentley) and Porsche

You seem to say a lot of things. Just about the only thing that's right in that sentence is that the Veyron is made by Volkwagen AG. The SSC (Shelby SuperCars) Ultimate Aero TT holds the Guiness Book of Records title for the fastest production car in the world. It reached a verified top speed of 257mph or 417km/h in October of 2007 (You're up-to-date, I see). The Bugatti Veyron reached an unverified top speed of 253.81mph or 408.47km/h. Top Gear's Captain Slow (James May) managed to reach around 407.5km/h in the VW test track on one of their shows. Get your facts straight before you start rambling on.

No matter what you say about the GT3 RS or any other Porsche, there is no denying the fact that NO Porsches that are in production now or will be in 2 months will perform as well as the GT-R AND for that price. The Carrera GT might be able to run around the Ring in a faster time but it's also $400,000. IF the Nissan time was right (7:29), then the $400,000 GT is only one second faster. Take your pick: $80,000 for a 7:29 around the Ring or $400,000 for a 7:28.

CarbonXe 10-24-2008 04:14 AM

I'll take the $100,000 ZR1 and have a car capable of 7:25.
Or the $98,000 Viper ACR and have a car capable of 7:22.

Kthx.

AlanW 10-24-2008 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
I'll take the $100,000 ZR1 and have a car capable of 7:25.
Or the $98,000 Viper ACR and have a car capable of 7:22.

Kthx.

Oh for sure, I would too. But the guy was blabbing on about how Porsche's are way better. I agree with you though. But I would imagine the ride on the Viper ACR would be horrendous considering how it's a track-oriented package. But both those are still great American achievements.

Btw, I'm ____ed that Sackboy hasn't graced my TV screen yet. Still anxiously waiting!