Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

Pontiac's new comercials

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pontiac's new comercials

I recently saw a pontiac commercial that said that their g5 (cobalt clone) had better fuel efficency and more power (and is therefore better) than the tC . I think that thats a cheap shot made for a cheap crappy car. The g5 dosn't even have a temperture gauge. Also, the pontiac can't compeate when it comes to standerd features, build quality and reliability.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

haha pontiac sucks...my tc's gas mileage sucks anyways so im not too worried....they could have 1000 horsepower and i still wouldnt buy a pontiac....

ill stick with my vvt-i and the RELIABLE toyota family thank you very much! :D
Old 07-28-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

these commercials are only being made because the american car market is failing so utterly in the face of toyota and honda
Old 07-28-2007, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Pontiac's new comercials

Originally Posted by Vlad1024
I recently saw a pontiac commercial that said that their g5 (cobalt clone) had better fuel efficency and more power (and is therefore better) than the tC . I think that thats a cheap shot made for a cheap crappy car. The g5 dosn't even have a temperture gauge. Also, the pontiac can't compeate when it comes to standerd features, build quality and reliability.
Wow, get upset much? I thought of a pretty good way that you can stick it to pontiac: don't buy a g5. I know what you're thinking, it sounds pretty crazy, right? But no, it's just the American economy at work. Sometimes it amazes me the power we have to just NOT BUY SOMETHING.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so true and so sad

i still don't apreciate anyone taking a shot at my car
Old 07-28-2007, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vlad1024
so true and so sad

i still don't apreciate anyone taking a shot at my car
It's just business and competition. It's that competition that makes cars better and better all the time. Just face it, it may be a pontiac, but it does outpower you and has better gas mileage than your tC. I'm not necessarily a fan of pontiac or GM, just facing the facts. Unfortunately, the g5 is ugly. I'd buy the Cobalt SS before the g5. I do like the solstice gxp and the g6 gxp. Unlike a lot of people I've met on these forums, I don't hate American cars just for being American cars. I can't figure that out. The ecotec is proving itself to be pretty tough in the tuning world from what I can tell. And hopefully (for the American economy) the big three will survive.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Pontiac

Poor Old *fill in* Thinks Its A Cadillac
Old 07-28-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ty_Max
Pontiac

HAHAHAHAHAH

Good one.

(edited by ack154 - no need to f up the forum page b/c you can't hit enter once or twice...)
Old 07-28-2007, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The ECOTEC does make more HP than our motor stock, and it does get better gas mileage. So they have 2 valid points. But the fact remains its still a Cobolt, and the quality is quite a few years behind anything from Toyota and Honda and even Hyundai.... When did you ever think youd have interior build quality in a hyundai.... crazy how times change aint it?
Old 07-28-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It’s not that the American Automakers are not capable of making quality and reliability, it’s that they can’t afford to provide the equivalent at a competitive price.

They have Union-Labor to thank for that one… It doesn’t matter how much an American worker is getting paid if the product they produce can’t be sold. And you can’t sell a product if someone else can offer the same or better, for less cost. U.S. Autoworkers aren’t the only people in the world that buy cars.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nig_nig_the_conqueror
Pontiac

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Good one.

Dude wth

(quoted post edited by ack154 for reason noted above)
Old 07-28-2007, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont care if it has better fuel economy and more horsepower, its still ugly and doesnt have the features of the TC. Also what do you think are the chances of it having a large aftermarket selection. lol That is one of the main reasons I got my TC is the large availability of aftermarket parts. My previous car was a Ford ZX2, and I got tired of not having much selection in parts.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCMan07
Also what do you think are the chances of it having a large aftermarket selection. lol .
Dude, it's a Cobalt. The Cobalt already has significant aftermarket selection. The G5 is the same thing. I don't think aftermarket selection is going to be a problem.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:10 AM
SL Member

That's how advertising works. You tout your products strengths relative to a competitor. You don't have to do a line by line comparison and list your weaknesses too. The strengths Pontiac listed aren't false so I just figure you're mad because the tC was singled out.

If Scion/Toyota really give a damn, they can make a commercial to tout how the tC is better than the G5. In reality though, that would just give the G5 more screen time. A better move is to just ignore it.

On a slight tangent, the Solstice is a cool little car.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nig_nig_the_conqueror
Pontiac

HAHAHAHAHAH

Good one.

(edited by ack154 - no need to f up the forum page b/c you can't hit enter once or twice...)

What word are we filling in? That's not even funny... Duuuuuude
Old 07-29-2007, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen this commercial. Kinda sad, especially since they don't tell u all the facts. Like first in order for the G5 to be makeing more power than the tC u need to use premium gas. And second yes it does get better mileage because the gearing on the tranny is set up for highway cruising. And if u drive an auto forgetaboutit, those gm autos have crappy gearing and are never in the right gear when u need it, plus they take fooooooorevvvvver to downshift. Makes u wanna cry. The 5spds aren't too bad since they're made by Getrag.

Has anyone ever seen the Pontiac commercial when they r trying to say the Vibe is better than the first gen xB? That's a sad commercial. First both vehicles aren't even in the same class. Second Toyota makes the Vibe (Toyota Matrix) so y are they saying its better than one of Toyota's own. Yes the Vibe is more powerful and has more cargo room, no sh*t its a bigger car. And no GM the Vibe doesn't get better mileage than an xB. The Vibe/Matrix will do about the same as an xB on the highway and in the city......what a joke the car doesn't get anywhere near the estimate (Car is rated 28mpg city yet my Mom's Matrix can only muster 22mpg... lame). O and lets not 4get GM is still selling a Toyota product like they did with the old Nova/Lemans in the 80s and Geo/Chevy Metro in the 90s. Funny how they're upset that Toyota surpassed them for the #1 Automaker spot yet GM has been helping them over the years to get there, lol.

Just abunch of lies n poorly planned marketing.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I Agree, GM should stop insulting the company that has let them copy so many good cars.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:59 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by DriverXa
O and lets not 4get GM is still selling a Toyota product like they did with the old Nova/Lemans in the 80s and Geo/Chevy Metro in the 90s. Funny how they're upset that Toyota surpassed them for the #1 Automaker spot yet GM has been helping them over the years to get there, lol.
The Metro was the Suzuki Swift.
The Lemans was a Daewoo (also being sold by Opel at the time). Daewoo is also responsible for the Aveo in Chevy's current lineup and that actually seems to sell pretty well. I see a lot of them on the road where I am.

Geo also had the Spectrum which was an Isuzu I-Mark and the Tracker which we all know was just a rebadged Suzuki Vitara

The only Toyota product in that lineup was the Prizm which was the Corolla.

The valid point to take away from all this is that GM can only effectively compete against the imports, by rebadging.......imports. There jsut appears no other way they can sell quality small cars at anything resembling a profit.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Hahahaha, Thx for that correction Bancho it was the Prizim of the 1990s that was just a regrilled corolla. The Chevy Nova of the 80s was also a corolla as well.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:40 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

toyota cavalier

Quick Reply: Pontiac's new comercials