Notices
All Other Vehicles Concepts and non-Toyotas...

So... page 12 happened. (NEW PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default So... page 12 happened. (NEW PICS)

Drove 2010 models of: Volvo C30, VW Golf TDI, and VW GTI

Long Version: http://ack.fm/bYw91H (go read)

Short Version:
- C30: Bit of a disappointment. Not worth the $$.
- TDI: Nice car, but not really on my list. Less refined.
- GTI: Winner so far. Has just about everything.

Next steps are to test a WRX and Genesis Coupe (2.0T Track) and see where things fall after that. It'll be a while though as I'm out of town for the next 2 weeks.

UPDATE: Skip to page 8 for the big news...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...=189390&page=8

Last edited by ack154; 08-23-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about the v6 mustang and camaro? might be worth a try and are in that price range.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eh... I'm just not the Mustang or Camaro type. I know they've both come a long way and are decent cars (especially the Mustang) but they're just not my thing.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A friend pointed me to some interesting news RE: GTI this morning.

They're changing some things for the 2011 model. Specifically, the 18" Detroit wheels are now standard (instead of 17" Denvers), better Bluetooth integration, and new "packages" instead of options.

So I was considering HIDs and Sunroof. Now to get both of those, I'd have to add NAV. Like, it's a requirement because the package is NAV and Sunroof and comes with HIDs. That's the only way to get HIDs.

But pricing it out... the 2010 with those three things (and the Detroit wheels) is about $28.6k. The 2011 with those things standard/packaged comes out to just $26.8k.

Makes things a bit more interesting to get the things I was looking for in a cheaper package. I would have skipped on the Detroit wheels and kept the 17s, but now they'd be standard.

In case anyone is curious: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...anges-Official
Old 07-02-2010, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mmmmm gen coupe. im surpirsed the C30 didnt perform counting on how much it costs
Old 07-02-2010, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Motor Trend this month did a review of all the pony cars (Mustang, Camero, Charger) in the V-6 and V-8 flavors. For fun, they threw in the 3.8L Genesis coupe. To my shock, it rated 1st in comparison to the v-6 ponies and 2nd behind the Mustang GT overall.

The 2.0L R-Spec will shave $3k off the Track edition and you still get all the good performance bits. I find that premium insane for heated seats and GPS

They also really liked the diesel Jetta TDI for the long-term test.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nickifer
mmmmm gen coupe. im surpirsed the C30 didnt perform counting on how much it costs
I think I was most disappointed by the C30... not sure if my expectations were too high or what. It just didn't seem to hold a candle to the GTI ... which is odd to me. And it is the 2nd most expensive in my list (not far behind the WRX (premium trim).

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Motor Trend this month did a review of all the pony cars (Mustang, Camero, Charger) in the V-6 and V-8 flavors. For fun, they threw in the 3.8L Genesis coupe. To my shock, it rated 1st in comparison to the v-6 ponies and 2nd behind the Mustang GT overall.

The 2.0L R-Spec will shave $3k off the Track edition and you still get all the good performance bits. I find that premium insane for heated seats and GPS

They also really liked the diesel Jetta TDI for the long-term test.
I'd checkout the R-Spec, but as much as I want a totally stripped track-like car, I still need my cruise control and stuff for daily duty. The Track should be close enough for me.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since I'm back from Salt Lake, I just called up the Hyundai dealer (same dealer as I went to before, just different location). They have a 2.0T Genesis Coupe in stock (manual). Same location is a Subaru dealer but they don't have any WRXs and don't expect any until the 2011s start arriving in early Sept.

Regardless, I may be taking a drive tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I tried to buy the Golf TDI but could not find one when I bought my car. The GTI is all that and really is a great buy.....I have the Jetta TDI the best of all worlds for me..performs like the gold with a bit more room and can mod it to be a killer
Old 07-17-2010, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
I tried to buy the Golf TDI but could not find one when I bought my car. The GTI is all that and really is a great buy.....I have the Jetta TDI the best of all worlds for me..performs like the gold with a bit more room and can mod it to be a killer
Well I know where there's a six spd one if you want.

I just found out today that the 2011 Genesis Coupe won't have a Track option. Just the Rspec without cruise/other stuff. So if I want one of those, I might have to try for a 2010.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Took another drive to Ithaca today. Got to test a 2.0t Genesis Coupe Premium. Sadly no WRX in stock yet.

I'll write more later, but the short version is that the Genesis was very surprising. I don't know if I had low expectations for it or what, but it was quite nice. Felt like it had plenty of power (for me). Drove nice - very stable. Plenty of options and such for the $$.

Biggest negative at the moment for the Genesis is head room. I fit, that's not the problem, but there is not a ton of extra room for a helmet. We'll see though.

Between that and the GTI, I may be leaning towards the Genesis at the moment. BUT, I have not yet gotten to drive a 6spd GTI (or a WRX for that matter).
Old 07-17-2010, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

the biggest edge is the GTI handling set up it has...not as much power as some others.....spent a bunch of time up there in Ithaca as my sister went to Cornell
Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

GTI is sweet. I love the R-spec Genesis but couldnt be without CC. Well pretty much any of those cars are gonna make you feel like a speed demon coming from a tC. LOL

The GTI may not have all the power for the price but handling is where it makes up. Overall refinement is where the GTI works its magic. Man I wish my wife liked the kinda rides I liked. i would have a evo or an STI as my next ride not a Camaro or a lexus IS. I like the Camaro but it aint an Evo or STI and the IS is overpriced and underpowered. But thats what she likes. Maybe i can at least get here to like a G37 sedan where I will have some aftermarket go fast bits.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still holding out to try a manual GTI so who knows after that. Might turn the tides.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I am telling you once you do... it is like butter...but the DSG is the fastest shifting auto out there
Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i know that the day has come when they can build clutchless manuals for passenger cars that out perform standard transmissions, but i don't care, i want a 3rd pedal.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I loved the c30 but it's pricey and not that fast. Also ONLY a 4 seater vs the common 5 seat config.

VW options are nice but BUTT ugly imo.

1 year odl STI perhaps? Or only new options considered?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
I loved the c30 but it's pricey and not that fast. Also ONLY a 4 seater vs the common 5 seat config.

VW options are nice but BUTT ugly imo.

1 year odl STI perhaps? Or only new options considered?
Ya, the VW styling really doesn't do a whole lot for me. I mean, it's nice... and there's not really anything wrong with it. But I want a little flavor.

I'm mostly looking for new. Haven't given too much thought to used - if anything because I don't want to have to find something that wasn't beat on.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
I am telling you once you do... it is like butter...but the DSG is the fastest shifting auto out there
I know DSG is nice... but I really need that pedal and more control.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

As much as many Imprezza's get bought by boy racers many many many are getting bought by middle aged men who want something different than a Camaro, Mustang or Corvette.

Good thing about that is their middle aged wives hate how the cars ride(stiff and responsive vs plushy) they end up selling them soon after purchase and normally fully service record'd and NOT normally beat up on

Quick Reply: So... page 12 happened. (NEW PICS)